Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Growing in Greenhouses > New Greenhouse and operational advice with employees

Thread Title Search
New Greenhouse and operational advice with employees Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-16-2018, 05:29 PM #41
GatorGumbo

GatorGumbo is a jewel in the roughGatorGumbo is a jewel in the roughGatorGumbo is a jewel in the roughGatorGumbo is a jewel in the roughGatorGumbo is a jewel in the roughGatorGumbo is a jewel in the rough
While I'm not so idealistic as to say that all it takes is an American dream spirit and a quality product, it is also not as simple as competitive spending. Every business worries about the first five years specifically when starting out, it's a classic business model. I know a guy who literally just builds a business and sells it every five years, and he can do so because he knows his way around a bottom line. There are significant reasons he has no interest in starting a weed farm, he's running a medical supply company at the moment instead.

Not to be condescending, maybe you've mentioned it earlier in the thread and I missed it, but have you ever grown and tested your own quality weed? Whatever you haven't done yet between there and your balls out operation is going to cause a problem. Imagine being out of ferts and additives for two weeks cause the distribution center screwed up, or having the power go out for two days, or a massive pest infestation spreading from greenhouse to greenhouse— and then imagine all of these issues at once. There's no luxury in these situations for a phone a friend solution, your operation is hemorrhaging cash every second it's not running. Then it's you who has to call the investors and explain why you cost their business $100k and need $30k more to fix it, which proportionally may not be that bad and all, but with the right direction it's all completely avoidable. That's all I'm trying to tell you to help you, that none of us shade-tree gardeners are going to be able to tell you what you need for a legal industrial capacity grow operation. The fact you're asking here, or even need real consultants for more than basic second opinions is not confidence inspiring, it makes it seem like you're here just for the pageantry of talking about your well funded business. Seems greasy.
GatorGumbo is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:37 PM #42
Ibechillin

Ibechillin has much to be proud ofIbechillin has much to be proud ofIbechillin has much to be proud ofIbechillin has much to be proud ofIbechillin has much to be proud ofIbechillin has much to be proud ofIbechillin has much to be proud ofIbechillin has much to be proud ofIbechillin has much to be proud ofIbechillin has much to be proud ofIbechillin has much to be proud of
Have you heard of Growers Network? Its a Private forum for commercial licensed cannabis growers and processors, its ran by the owner of Growers House Nate. Should help put you in contact with the right people to help you with your questions.

Here is the link:
https://growersnetwork.org/why-join/

Nate from Growers House started a series on youtube where he tours legal cannabis facilities and interviews the people who run them. I found them informative, will give you some insight into some facilities that are already operating as well as some of the equipment they are using and general practices.

Episode 1 in licensed cannabis greenhouse facility California:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jIc...has_verified=1

Episode 2 in licensed cannabis indoor facility Washington:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWxK...has_verified=1

Episode 3 in 40 acre licensed cannabis greenhouse facility Arizona:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzJQ2Kmas70

Episode 4 worlds largest licensed cannabis outdoor facility Colorado:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4FflVtzlE0

Episode 5 inside 1st California Recreational Cannabis Farm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA0Klgvv5wY
Ibechillin is online now Quote

6 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:29 PM #43
CrushnYuba

CrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to all
Farmtek definitely sells some comercial sized greenhouses. I'm just saying it would be better to work backwards from a local contractor and use the equipment that they work with. Who is going to fix this stuff when it breaks down?
Example 1. Grow-tech is manufactured locally in norcal. They got contractors that build greenhouses every day. A friend of mine hired those contractors to build a non grow-tech greenhouse. They did an awful job. Blackout and motorized vents kept breaking. The fouth time i went out to fix something i tore everything down to the frame and reinstalled it from scratch properly.
Example 2. I have a friend of a friend. He had investors. They got in pretty early. Got land and built a bunch of fancy infra structure. Got permits. They were kind of failing. There is a big difference between theory and real life. He wanted me to consult and make his opp work but it was a little too late. He already spent to much money and too much time went by without returning $ to his investors. He got kicked out of his own project and he is now in a legal battle with his investors.

You need a proper consultant. That's not going to be easy to find because they don't really exist. I don't know of one that i would trust. Cannabis as agriculture is new. You need someone that knows the dollars and cents. That knows the practicality and not just the theory, knows the equipment, knows the plant. The problem is the guys who know this stuff are doing it. They aren't "consulting". You are their competition. Investors are a dime a dozen. I don't think you understand how slim the margins are. You are going to have a hard time covering your operational costs. Covering your infrastructure and start up costs are going to be almost impossible with any fat at all. And then you need to split any profit that you do turn with your Investors.
CrushnYuba is offline Quote

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-17-2018, 03:36 AM #44
jidoka

jidoka is a name known to alljidoka is a name known to alljidoka is a name known to alljidoka is a name known to alljidoka is a name known to alljidoka is a name known to alljidoka is a name known to alljidoka is a name known to alljidoka is a name known to alljidoka is a name known to alljidoka is a name known to all
Smith...text me and set up a phone call. We can take the time and I will give you specific, real world examples

I can also send you an over the top SOP for watering veg. It got over the top cause a bunch of Denver growers thought they knew better

Can you tell I hate hiring guys that know. If you mention Jorge in an interview it is over
jidoka is offline Quote

Old 11-17-2018, 09:25 AM #45
CrushnYuba

CrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to all
Jidoka: i am very curious. where you are located? Are you a consultant?
CrushnYuba is offline Quote

Old 11-17-2018, 05:20 PM #46
Smith111

Smith111 is a jewel in the roughSmith111 is a jewel in the roughSmith111 is a jewel in the roughSmith111 is a jewel in the roughSmith111 is a jewel in the roughSmith111 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorGumbo View Post
While I'm not so idealistic as to say that all it takes is an American dream spirit and a quality product, it is also not as simple as competitive spending. Every business worries about the first five years specifically when starting out, it's a classic business model. I know a guy who literally just builds a business and sells it every five years, and he can do so because he knows his way around a bottom line. There are significant reasons he has no interest in starting a weed farm, he's running a medical supply company at the moment instead.

Not to be condescending, maybe you've mentioned it earlier in the thread and I missed it, but have you ever grown and tested your own quality weed? Whatever you haven't done yet between there and your balls out operation is going to cause a problem. Imagine being out of ferts and additives for two weeks cause the distribution center screwed up, or having the power go out for two days, or a massive pest infestation spreading from greenhouse to greenhouse— and then imagine all of these issues at once. There's no luxury in these situations for a phone a friend solution, your operation is hemorrhaging cash every second it's not running. Then it's you who has to call the investors and explain why you cost their business $100k and need $30k more to fix it, which proportionally may not be that bad and all, but with the right direction it's all completely avoidable. That's all I'm trying to tell you to help you, that none of us shade-tree gardeners are going to be able to tell you what you need for a legal industrial capacity grow operation. The fact you're asking here, or even need real consultants for more than basic second opinions is not confidence inspiring, it makes it seem like you're here just for the pageantry of talking about your well funded business. Seems greasy.
Well..... Greasy huh?

Could it be, I just want to chop it up with some old friends before I pull the trigger? Why the fuck does everybody assume the worst? Terrible trait my man, very unbecoming.

I have stated in the thread my experience. I have farmed an acre 100% solo in the past. Everything you described above I can spot out in my sleep. I eat, breath and live cannabis. Thanks for your comment.
Smith111 is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-17-2018, 05:23 PM #47
Smith111

Smith111 is a jewel in the roughSmith111 is a jewel in the roughSmith111 is a jewel in the roughSmith111 is a jewel in the roughSmith111 is a jewel in the roughSmith111 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibechillin View Post
Have you heard of Growers Network? Its a Private forum for commercial licensed cannabis growers and processors, its ran by the owner of Growers House Nate. Should help put you in contact with the right people to help you with your questions.

Here is the link:
https://growersnetwork.org/why-join/

Nate from Growers House started a series on youtube where he tours legal cannabis facilities and interviews the people who run them. I found them informative, will give you some insight into some facilities that are already operating as well as some of the equipment they are using and general practices.

Episode 1 in licensed cannabis greenhouse facility California:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jIc...has_verified=1

Episode 2 in licensed cannabis indoor facility Washington:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWxK...has_verified=1

Episode 3 in 40 acre licensed cannabis greenhouse facility Arizona:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzJQ2Kmas70

Episode 4 worlds largest licensed cannabis outdoor facility Colorado:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4FflVtzlE0

Episode 5 inside 1st California Recreational Cannabis Farm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA0Klgvv5wY
Thank You!!!!!!!!

No seriously, thank you. You took the time to actually provide something of value. Instead of telling me 50 different ways I wont succeed, you actually just gave advice and left it there. THANK YOU!!!!!

You sir, are an all star. Thank you and I will watch those videos and join that forum.

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-17-2018, 05:30 PM #48
Smith111

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrushnYuba View Post
Farmtek definitely sells some comercial sized greenhouses. I'm just saying it would be better to work backwards from a local contractor and use the equipment that they work with. Who is going to fix this stuff when it breaks down?
Example 1. Grow-tech is manufactured locally in norcal. They got contractors that build greenhouses every day. A friend of mine hired those contractors to build a non grow-tech greenhouse. They did an awful job. Blackout and motorized vents kept breaking. The fouth time i went out to fix something i tore everything down to the frame and reinstalled it from scratch properly.
Example 2. I have a friend of a friend. He had investors. They got in pretty early. Got land and built a bunch of fancy infra structure. Got permits. They were kind of failing. There is a big difference between theory and real life. He wanted me to consult and make his opp work but it was a little too late. He already spent to much money and too much time went by without returning $ to his investors. He got kicked out of his own project and he is now in a legal battle with his investors.

You need a proper consultant. That's not going to be easy to find because they don't really exist. I don't know of one that i would trust. Cannabis as agriculture is new. You need someone that knows the dollars and cents. That knows the practicality and not just the theory, knows the equipment, knows the plant. The problem is the guys who know this stuff are doing it. They aren't "consulting". You are their competition. Investors are a dime a dozen. I don't think you understand how slim the margins are. You are going to have a hard time covering your operational costs. Covering your infrastructure and start up costs are going to be almost impossible with any fat at all. And then you need to split any profit that you do turn with your Investors.
Yea, fixing the greenhouse is something I have considered. The company I am teaming up with, they run a hundred million dollar company with acres of facilities. Different industry, but they have an entire construction crew of about 30 workers full time. I also have built several greenhouses, been part of design on a few more, and have been in the trades for 20 years. I hope with this combination, we could fix anything. So that keeps Farmtek in the running, however you make a great point that needs to be considered. So what company out of Nor Cal would you use for easy fixing? Or are you stating it's better in house?

Consultant.... You are looking at him. Just trying to consult with a few others before I dive in head first. Consultants looking to consult. Would love to talk about your margins, and what to expect there. What is the price per pound of properly grown greenhouse bud fetching? What are you yield metrics?

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-17-2018, 05:32 PM #49
Smith111

Quote:
Originally Posted by jidoka View Post
Smith...text me and set up a phone call. We can take the time and I will give you specific, real world examples

I can also send you an over the top SOP for watering veg. It got over the top cause a bunch of Denver growers thought they knew better

Can you tell I hate hiring guys that know. If you mention Jorge in an interview it is over
I am swamped trying to get my construction done to my dispensary atm. I will text you here in the next day or two, when I know better my schedule. Thanks for the offer, talk soon.

Old 11-17-2018, 10:10 PM #50
jidoka

jidoka is a name known to alljidoka is a name known to alljidoka is a name known to alljidoka is a name known to alljidoka is a name known to alljidoka is a name known to alljidoka is a name known to alljidoka is a name known to alljidoka is a name known to alljidoka is a name known to alljidoka is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrushnYuba View Post
Jidoka: i am very curious. where you are located? Are you a consultant?
Click image for larger version

Name:	5E91944D-FD3C-403D-BC36-77C01D82C650.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	227.0 KB
ID:	477331

Crush. Yes, but Smith and I use to bump heads hard til we became buddies. I wanna see him crush it so this is on the house

30 yrs of manufacturing experience including Toyota system plus 6 sigma. Several yrs growing on top of that
jidoka is offline Quote