What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hydroponics vs Aeroponics whos switched?

LostTribe

Premium user
Hi all new to the Hydro forum usually hang out in Organic. Just wondering if anyone has switched from Hydro to Aero and for what reasons. Might be an overly general question. But im wondering if you got better yields from Aero. Any help is appreciated. Thanks again :tiphat:

Better yields from aero? really....

Aeroponics is boring as shit. Hydroton drip is the only way to roll.

For all you newb tubers on here consider this a belated xmas present not from me but from SoQuick .

949IMG_1096.JPG

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=7366

Mic Drop. Out.
LT

Here's my very simple flood and drain system for veg. The net pots are suspended and the trough they're in is flooded and then drained using a simple 15 minute segment timer. The trough sits above the reservoir. The results are very similar to an LP aero type system, but much simpler IMO.
picture.php

Peace
BL

Palindrome

King of Schwag
I used to run large high pressure aeroponics, and yes they yeald more but only when everything is working perfect. Will you do better, then any other hydro setup.

Now day's I run hydroton drip

I would recommend any grower who wanne get into aero, get your room pimped out first.

You should be able to keep the room temp stabil day and night, with only a few degrees swing.
Have a way to keep your reservoir at 17-19 C and 20C max.
Co2 supplement is a good idea, as you otherwise need very large air exchange in the room.
Dehumidifyer to controll humidity.

Once your enviroment is running perfect, High pressure aeroponics can be a lot of fun for the DIY guy. Who like to tweak, twist and turn. Replace misters, clean filters and look at roots.

Power out is not a big issue, when everything goes off.
I had my ventilation cut out, but lights where on. Killed 650 plants 5 weeks into flower over night, in a 15k Watt room.
It's a bitter pill to swallow, paying the electric bill on a error like that.

It's like a F1 car, fast and really awesome. But if you stear off course for a second, you risk to crash n burn hard and fast.

Drop That Sound

Hooked on ponics here, I like to at least try them all (as well as build\design hybrid systems that are multi functional like LP aero/rdwc in one), and even plan to create my own types.

Imagine this. A DWC tote with a few plants. Next to a Flood tray with a few more. As the wider flood tray floods, it uses the DWC solution, lowering it at the same time. While its lower, Aero/fogponic misters spray the roots for a few minutes in the DWC. The solution that was taken out of the DWC is pumped upwards and then travels down an NFT rail (with a few more plants) before it enters the flood table. New solution is always being added, while also leaving the system. As it leaves, it finally is dripped into a drain to waste system with a few more plants before it go's down the drain. That's like 4-5 systems working together. Sounds like a nightmare I know, but would be cool in my book!

Not exactly looking for better anything, just the experience and challenges. And keeping my mind in the gutters. Failures are great, just depends on how you look at them :)

Attachments

• magneponics.jpg
    magneponics.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 46

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Simplicity is key. Why spend additional resources, to get almost the exact same production a simpler process yields? Profit is all about the bottom line necessary to produce what you need. The more variables/equipment you have to add, the more things cost and the more variable the issues can become.

Palindrome, you have it correct. At the end of the day, you want the minimal input needed to create the maximum output you're looking for. Backing off on the extremes allows a greater margin for error. How quickly you can react should be a strong variable in how fine tuned your setup can be. :)

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
Aeroponics are just another form of hydroponics, like flood and drain, nft, dwc and rdwc, swc, ebb and flow buckets. The difference is in how it's applied and the medium or lack of medium in the root zone.

Oh man the variety of methods is what makes it fun. Every method has its quirks. What makes it fun is learning the ins and outs of various methods. Then you figure out what's best for your style of growing. The journey is the real benefit. The destination is an ever changing point that extends the journey.

LostTribe

Premium user
Oh man the variety of methods is what makes it fun. Every method has its quirks. What makes it fun is learning the ins and outs of various methods. Then you figure out what's best for your style of growing. The journey is the real benefit. The destination is an ever changing point that extends the journey.

Checking for plugged misters is even a PITA just in a small aero cloner IMHO. Rez temps are also something I was always struggling with in DWC never had the quality I get from Hydroton drip. I've done Hydroton drip in an ebb flow as well as just drip flow like SoQuick. The drip flow gave me better results and more yield.

Palindrome is spot on. Dial your room with what you've got and you can begin experimenting from there. Always get your environment set up proper before you start tweaking other variables like medium and nutrients.

LT

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I agree. I redesigned mine to also have ajn outside reservoir. I also put screens on my return to avoid roots clogging sprayers

https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=80458&pictureid=1951432

When I did HPA, I put my rez above the inlet tubing. This kept the lines full so that when the pump kicked in misting was virtually instantaneous.

Between the rez and spray heads I installed a filter that I could easily remove the screen to clean. BUT, cleaning should not be necessary when using a sterile rez

TO do this one has to use D2W

hth