Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > New Growers > New grow tent, need help to choose new light: LED or CMH?

Thread Title Search
New grow tent, need help to choose new light: LED or CMH? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-20-2018, 10:21 AM #1
rastafari80

Exclamation New grow tent, need help to choose new light: LED or CMH?

Hi guys,

Please, I really need some opinions and suggestions about my new light.

I have a new 3x3 grow tent, since my old 2x2 was really worn-out.
I used mainly a 250w mh/hps but it's not enough to cover a 3x3.

My main choices are these two:

- Mars Hydro II PRO Epistar 120 600w: it looks like a good led light, anyway I'm not sure if it's enough to cover the tent. Not really sure about the noise and the fact it doesn't produce heat: sometimes the heat it's helpful to manage temperatures.

- Lumatek CMH 315w kit with a 3100k bulb for the full run [I do a short vegetative stage, or at least I can use the 250w MH for the veg].
It's noiseless and perfect for a 3x3 tent.
Anyway I can't understand if you can run it ay 25/50/75% of the power without damaging the bulb and if the closed reflector needs an air extraction like for the cool tubes.

I'm not considering HPS/MH anyome because I don't want to consume 400w or more.

ANY considerations or suggestions will be very very helpful!

thank you guys

Old 08-20-2018, 08:04 PM #2
Outcold

Outcold is just really niceOutcold is just really niceOutcold is just really niceOutcold is just really niceOutcold is just really niceOutcold is just really niceOutcold is just really niceOutcold is just really niceOutcold is just really niceOutcold is just really niceOutcold is just really nice
I can't answer specifics on the questions you posed, but I am able to get about a pound out of a 3x3 with a vertically hung 315CMH. I grow vertically, but had an open reflector with a fan blowing up toward the bulb. I vented the whole tent with an inline fan 24/7. I really liked that set-up and think that you could be very happy.
I am going to get a 39"x39" (100cm x 100cm) tent and see how the extra 20sq foot do with either a 315CMH, or a horticulture lighting group 260W QB V2 LED KIT.
On the fence as to what I'm gonna do as LED is new territory for me.
Best of luck with your choices!

Old 08-20-2018, 08:25 PM #3
Lost in a SOG
~~~~~~~~~~~

Lost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant future
You'll regret the mars hydro Imo, I got an advanced p300 which is a fancy mars led and still sent it back,, 3 month no quibble returns on the advanced though if you want to see blurple.. Massive waste of watts for nothing, poor penetration and a backwards approach to horticulture lighting Imo.. Id say it was hard to decide if cfls wouldn't have been better at the time.. A 600w led sounds like a joke, made with proper high bin leds, 600w of light should cover more like 8 square feet..

The horticulture lighting group boards pack real punch for your money.. Ive got cobs as well but don't feel the return justifies how hot they get..

The HLG lights will shave degrees of your heat, save you considerably on wattage and if kept at the right distance can produce much better nugs..

But If that's your options get the cmh and air cool it Imo.. My philosophy is to always buy from a company with a reputation to lose, then they'll more than likely sort you out if anything happens, not some Chinese snakeoilsman..

You can easily beat a 315 cmh with less watts of led.. Especially with correct spread and distance..

Also if you're interested diy led lights check out Solstrips, I made a rig for this last grow and the (air cooled) cmh wouldn't do better using 60 watts more than I'm running the Solstrips at..
Lost in a SOG is offline Quote

5 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:19 PM #4
rastafari80

thank you so much guys, I know it's an old debate but you helped me to clear my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in a SOG View Post

The horticulture lighting group boards pack real punch for your money.. Ive got cobs as well but don't feel the return justifies how hot they get..

The HLG lights will shave degrees of your heat, save you considerably on wattage and if kept at the right distance can produce much better nugs..

Lost in a Sog: the p300 was my first choice but it's quite expensive... and it's consider on of the best led lamp in the market..
HLG looks very good but I honestly don't know which one to choose and it's best for a 90cmx90cm tent... any suggestion? Not sure if these products are "discreetly" available here... anyway it worth a try

Old 08-21-2018, 02:20 PM #5
Switcher56
Comfortably numb!

Switcher56 has a reputation beyond reputeSwitcher56 has a reputation beyond reputeSwitcher56 has a reputation beyond reputeSwitcher56 has a reputation beyond reputeSwitcher56 has a reputation beyond reputeSwitcher56 has a reputation beyond reputeSwitcher56 has a reputation beyond reputeSwitcher56 has a reputation beyond reputeSwitcher56 has a reputation beyond reputeSwitcher56 has a reputation beyond reputeSwitcher56 has a reputation beyond repute
FWIW I'm running a 300W in my 2x2x3' veg tent and a 600W in my 3x3x6'

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest
the crotch of the person who screws up your day and,
may their arms be too short to scratch...
Switcher56 is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-21-2018, 02:22 PM #6
gladysvjubb

gladysvjubb is a glorious beacon of lightgladysvjubb is a glorious beacon of lightgladysvjubb is a glorious beacon of lightgladysvjubb is a glorious beacon of lightgladysvjubb is a glorious beacon of lightgladysvjubb is a glorious beacon of lightgladysvjubb is a glorious beacon of lightgladysvjubb is a glorious beacon of lightgladysvjubb is a glorious beacon of lightgladysvjubb is a glorious beacon of lightgladysvjubb is a glorious beacon of light
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commerci...2161/302456569
gladysvjubb is offline Quote

Old 08-27-2018, 07:19 AM #7
OkieSmokie

OkieSmokie is a glorious beacon of lightOkieSmokie is a glorious beacon of lightOkieSmokie is a glorious beacon of lightOkieSmokie is a glorious beacon of lightOkieSmokie is a glorious beacon of lightOkieSmokie is a glorious beacon of lightOkieSmokie is a glorious beacon of lightOkieSmokie is a glorious beacon of lightOkieSmokie is a glorious beacon of lightOkieSmokie is a glorious beacon of lightOkieSmokie is a glorious beacon of light
What a lot of guys are doing with screw in led lights (SIL) is really impressive. Bulbs are easy to source and are not conspicuous. Ive considered 315w cmh extensively for a space about that size, but i keep coming back to the SILs and doing it diy. Check out the stickies in the micro grow forum. Blynx has some examples that seem hard to beat.

Solstrips look interesting too but the SILs are so easy to replace and easy to play with spectrum.
OkieSmokie is offline Quote

Old 08-29-2018, 11:28 AM #8
rastafari80

thanks, I'll read about SIL... how many [considering wattage] would you use?

Old 09-09-2018, 01:01 PM #9
ronbo51

ronbo51 is a splendid one to beholdronbo51 is a splendid one to beholdronbo51 is a splendid one to beholdronbo51 is a splendid one to beholdronbo51 is a splendid one to beholdronbo51 is a splendid one to beholdronbo51 is a splendid one to beholdronbo51 is a splendid one to beholdronbo51 is a splendid one to beholdronbo51 is a splendid one to beholdronbo51 is a splendid one to behold
as mentioned go to the micro section in grow diaries and check out the off the shelf led thread. 30 watts / sq ft. is giving great results. 8- 14 watts per bulb actual draw, not "equivalent". Pry the plastic lens off and grow.
ronbo51 is offline Quote

Old 09-10-2018, 11:53 AM #10
rastafari80

hi guys, I choosed a CMH light at the end. I think, right now, it's the best option for the wattage consumption, noise and for having some heat [yes, I need some heat when it's cold]
the lumatek dimmable ballast looks great, it's dimmable and this makes it very usefull during veg staging.
thank you everybody for opinions & suggestions!