Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > ICMag Vendor Forums > Female Seeds > Test Grows > Outdoor Grapefruit Test Grow Show

Thread Title Search
Outdoor Grapefruit Test Grow Show Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-30-2018, 07:39 AM #11
green-genes77

green-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of light
Almost all of these plants are in full flower with one just entering into the flowering phase and another that looks like it might wait another week to get into the swing of things. It's a smaller specimen with extremely narrow leaf blades. We can usually count on making it through the third week of October if not until early November here, so I am not too worried about being able to see what she has to offer.

The terpene profiles on these are all similar and of a citrus quality with 6 of 7 that have a discernible odor smelling of sweet pink grapefruit to one degree or another. One in particular has an extremely sour grapefruit aroma that has an element of hops to it as well. She's also quite frosty. The flower forms on these have been pretty consistent, and they should mostly finish around the same time---looking like October 1st to 10th mainly.

So far these have been very easy to care for and accept a normal level of feeding happily. I've top dressed each plant with a cup of bone meal twice over the last two weeks and supplementing their calcium load with Herculean Harvest liquid bone meal, a little fish hydrolysate, and a product called Bloom Khaos that is popular as a calcium uptake facilitator and contains large amounts of key amino acids like glutamic acid and glycine. It seems to help buds stack better, frost up earlier and allow the buds to hold onto more mass and weight after the chop. It is built on a kelp extract base and so supplies plenty of hormones, micronutrients, trace elements as well as some potassium.

Some eye candy from a few of the best plants so far in my humble opinion:

green-genes77 is offline Quote

Old 09-06-2018, 11:55 AM #12
Female Seeds
Vendor

Female Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really nice
Good Morning GG,

That's a great news, really happy to hear about that
As far as I understand you got 2 phenos down there, the squatty and stocky one and the classical x-mas tree shaped OG.
The first one is not that common I must say, so I would be really glad if you could kindly show us some in the next update
I am also curious about the "normal" pheno(if we can really call it like that), those ladies must be quite big by now, I guess.

Thanks for the info concerning nutrients and so on, it is always good to be informed 'cause we can always get to know brands that I personally did not know.

Hope to see some lovely buds shot

Take care and best of luck,

Cheers,
Mr B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by green-genes77 View Post
The Outdoor Grapefruit started to kick into flower right at the beginning of August. These generally have a nice open x-mas tree structure with one exception that is shorter and squatter. All have citrusy smells to their stems and petioles that is a great omen for some serious grapefruit flowers in early October.

These are getting a calcium rich diet including Medusa's Magic, Herculean Harvest, and a chitin-rich slurry called The Kraken that is great for pest resistance and structural integrity.

These look as though they are going to finish in the first week of October and are incredibly easy to grow. More shots to come as these buds build!

View Image

Old 09-10-2018, 07:42 AM #13
green-genes77

green-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of light
ODGF has begun to frost up nicely with the exception of two plants that aren't too far into flower at this point. These have a thinner leaf blade and a more open, classic ganja-plant structure. These big (8 foot tall) sativas will take until 2nd/3rd week of October to finish but I'm eager to see what they have to offer. An example:

All have been getting a complete diet heavy in calcium, with varying levels of fish hydrolysate depending on when they are likely to ripen. Below are some more typical buds in this group. These grow on medium sized (6 foot tall) plants and the buds are mainly of the long running variety, with some vaguely triangular forms as well. They'll finish in the first week of October probably. These are very very frosty, smell like grapefruit, pineapple, banana and lemon or combinations of those with a sharpness that makes them all pretty similar:

The one other exception is a plant that has grown shorter and squatter its entire life. Initially she had noticeably thicker leaf blades than her sisters, but these have thinned out a lot. It took this plant a little bit to start producing lots of trichomes and terpenes, but it has always looked like a good producer for its size (4 feet). Now that they are getting more developed, the flowers are taking on a sour/bitter citrus flavor that I like a lot. It will be interesting to see how this one develops. She should be done around the first of October. The picture below contains a pint jar for reference.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:52 AM #14
Female Seeds
Vendor

Female Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really nice
All really interesting, thanks for the info and for the insight, much appreciated. It is quite frosty indeed, impressive how week by week is getting resin all around too.
Let's see, the flowering stage of the Outdoor G. can take indeed up to 10 weeks, depending from which moment we start counting of course.
With these kind of OG you have, the x-mas structured one, I think you are right when saying that the won't be ready before 2nd week of October. I sincerely hope that the weather does not get that terrible at your latitude...that's my only concern.

And 8 foot? Wow, not bad at all

The combination of taste you describe is truly mouthwatering, seems like a lovely fruit pie

Quote:
ODGF has begun to frost up nicely with the exception of two plants that aren't too far into flower at this point. These have a thinner leaf blade and a more open, classic ganja-plant structure. These big (8 foot tall) sativas will take until 2nd/3rd week of October to finish but I'm eager to see what they have to offer. An example:
View Image

All have been getting a complete diet heavy in calcium, with varying levels of fish hydrolysate depending on when they are likely to ripen. Below are some more typical buds in this group. These grow on medium sized (6 foot tall) plants and the buds are mainly of the long running variety, with some vaguely triangular forms as well. They'll finish in the first week of October probably. These are very very frosty, smell like grapefruit, pineapple, banana and lemon or combinations of those with a sharpness that makes them all pretty similar:

View Image

View Image

View Image

The one other exception is a plant that has grown shorter and squatter its entire life. Initially she had noticeably thicker leaf blades than her sisters, but these have thinned out a lot. It took this plant a little bit to start producing lots of trichomes and terpenes, but it has always looked like a good producer for its size (4 feet). Now that they are getting more developed, the flowers are taking on a sour/bitter citrus flavor that I like a lot. It will be interesting to see how this one develops. She should be done around the first of October. The picture below contains a pint jar for reference.

View Image
Thanks for showing and describing this squatty one. This pheno is really peculiar and differs from the main clearly sativa pheno, starting from the smell but also for the timing. And, as you anticipated, she will be done earlier then the others, that's also part of the game (if we can say like that).
I think we all are quite curious about it since there's not that much reference about it, and I will definitely watch with extreme interest.

Great pictures GG, I am really enjoying what I see and I can follow everything smoothly.

All the best,
Mr B.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:03 AM #15
green-genes77

Flowering is in full swing in Grapefruit Town, though there's a healthy spread in terms of development, flower form, and potential finishing time. There are still three slower, larger, thinner leaved plants that took their time flowering, but these are through with three weeks and should be ripening up by mid-October. These share an X-mas tree habit. The majority of the plants express grapefruit/pineapple/banana terps and look to be capable of finishing by October 7th to 10th. These buds are all extremely frosty and though they aren't that dense, they cover the branches well and will yield just fine in the end. These tend to have only moderate branching.

There is an early outlier, the squat plant I've been tracking, that also has the densest and largest buds of the bunch, yet on the smallest plant. The trichome production on this one is only okay and the terps haven't developed beyond sour/piney but I have high hopes for her regardless. She is a fast enough plant that I'll be able to run her until she is at her peak in terms of quality.

Feeding is tapering off a bit for most of these, with reduced fish hydrolysate, liquid bone meal, and Bloom Khaos. The three slower plants are still getting full strength for the next ten days or so.

Some of the "main group", looking to need about three weeks:

The early/chunky individual:

Budshot of the slow-flowering type:

Cheers!

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:05 PM #16
Female Seeds
Vendor

Quote:
Flowering is in full swing in Grapefruit Town, though there's a healthy spread in terms of development, flower form, and potential finishing time. There are still three slower, larger, thinner leaved plants that took their time flowering, but these are through with three weeks and should be ripening up by mid-October. These share an X-mas tree habit. The majority of the plants express grapefruit/pineapple/banana terps and look to be capable of finishing by October 7th to 10th. These buds are all extremely frosty and though they aren't that dense, they cover the branches well and will yield just fine in the end. These tend to have only moderate branching.

There is an early outlier, the squat plant I've been tracking, that also has the densest and largest buds of the bunch, yet on the smallest plant. The trichome production on this one is only okay and the terps haven't developed beyond sour/piney but I have high hopes for her regardless. She is a fast enough plant that I'll be able to run her until she is at her peak in terms of quality.

Feeding is tapering off a bit for most of these, with reduced fish hydrolysate, liquid bone meal, and Bloom Khaos. The three slower plants are still getting full strength for the next ten days or so.

Some of the "main group", looking to need about three weeks:

View Image

View Image

The early/chunky individual:

View Image

Budshot of the slow-flowering type:

View Image

Cheers!

Great info GG, really useful as always.
The slow pheno looks indeed like it needs a 2-3 weeks more at least...(fingers crossed for the temperatures). So, the Christmas tree pheno, which carries the biggest OG plants, is actually the slowest, did I understand correctly?

The main group looks gorgeous and in addition to that, they still have time to pack some more thicker and denser buds in the next 2-3 weeks they still have time to reach the same level of the early chunky lady!

About the terpenes, what else to say...it seems like smell is developing day by day more fruity and intense. I really can't wait to hear about the dried buds!

Fantastic job with these ladies Green-genes, they look so healthy and so happy, I am impressed for real.

Cheers ,
Mr B.

Old 09-30-2018, 03:14 AM #17
green-genes77

Outdoor Grapefruit

A quick update on the OD Grapefruit:

The squat, chunky specimen will be coming down tomorrow barring a change of plans. Nice and early like we like them! There is another that may also come down within the next 4 days. There is a group of four plants that vary somewhat in their terpenes and growth habits but will be finishing sometime in the next 10 days. These are, so far, the most Grapefruit-y plants. One or two have exhibited strong Humulus aromas at certain points--definitely not Sweet Pink Grapefruit but rather sour yellow grapefruit all the way. Delicious. I am also picking up some banana and lemon here and there.

A few shots of mid-plant buds from the "Middle Four". These are all really frosty and most are coloring nicely:

Two slower-to-bloom ladies, probably ready between October 10 and 20. Heavenly citrus:

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:43 AM #18
green-genes77

Grapefruit Harvest Wave 1

These first three plants were harvested 10/1. There is a pretty broad range of expression in this set of three but they all share similarities in terpene profile. Let's get to it:

Plant #1 is the one referred to previously as the stout, bushy phenotype. Sporting a massive top larger than my head, this plant lost a little to mold and a little to PM due to bad positioning by me. I am sure if the afflicted portion had seen more sunlight it would have been clean. This one reached 4 feet tall, has a nice and clean but subtle grapefruit aroma, and a little purpling at the tips.

Plant #2 was a little larger at 4.5 feet. Exhibiting a stronger grapefruit smell with a tasty bitter/fuel background, this plant built some huge buds as well. A bit more purple than #1. Not the greatest shot, but we will get some good ones when the flowers are dried and manicured.

Plant #3 is starting to get into major frost territory. Grapefruit, Pineapple, Guava, Mango. A panoply of fruit flavors like "Grapefruit with a tropical twist". 4.5 feet tall. I can't wait to try these flowers.

Last edited by green-genes77; 10-04-2018 at 07:57 AM..

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:56 AM #19
green-genes77

Grapefruit Harvest Wave 2

Harvested today, these next three plants are again pretty variable in fun and interesting ways. Some of my favorite plants from this pack are in this group, though there are three more that are going to need anywhere from 10 to 20 days to mature reasonably well, and those might develop into something really special indeed. I would say that these three are in general of higher quality that the three earliest, as might be expected.

Plant #4 is a four foot plant with some interesting flower traits. Pretty advanced purpling on a lot of these buds, which are only "half-dense" but also very large. These are very very visually appealing and have a "loud" terp profile like straight dank pineapple.

Plant #5 has a very fun terpene profile, with heavy banana notes to go with the citrus pineapple funk shared by some of her sisters. This is the earliest of the plants with slender, long colas, which actually seem to get pretty dense and are associated with the best trichome coverage so far. She came in at 4.25 feet tall.

Plant #6 may be my favorite. At 4.75 feet she's a little taller but absolutely covered in buds. Her silhouette before harvest was like a small caricature of a cactus. Ultra frosty with gorgeous purple highlights. Quite dense despite the "delicate" look to these flowers. Big time tart pineapple stench reminiscent of C99. Mouthwatering.

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:45 PM #20
Female Seeds
Vendor

Hello Green-Genes, hope all is well.

Fantastic news, and fantastic job. Plants look super healthy until the last day, really happy to read all these things.
Cheers to such a great harvest, and amazing description"Grapefruit with a tropical twist", sounds great
Let me know, if possible, about the weight of the dried buds I guess there will be a noticeable difference with the production of the other later harvested plants.

Other 10-20 days? Hope you won't have problem with weather and so on... This other group includes quite some chunky plants, things sounds really promising, on the terpenes profile too. The last one looks like a waterfall of crystals and trichomes so full it is.
No mould on these ladies?

Mouthwatering indeed

Can't wait to hear about the smoking report!

Take care and until next update!

All the best,
Mr B.

Quote:
Harvested today, these next three plants are again pretty variable in fun and interesting ways. Some of my favorite plants from this pack are in this group, though there are three more that are going to need anywhere from 10 to 20 days to mature reasonably well, and those might develop into something really special indeed. I would say that these three are in general of higher quality that the three earliest, as might be expected.

Plant #4 is a four foot plant with some interesting flower traits. Pretty advanced purpling on a lot of these buds, which are only "half-dense" but also very large. These are very very visually appealing and have a "loud" terp profile like straight dank pineapple.

View Image

Plant #5 has a very fun terpene profile, with heavy banana notes to go with the citrus pineapple funk shared by some of her sisters. This is the earliest of the plants with slender, long colas, which actually seem to get pretty dense and are associated with the best trichome coverage so far. She came in at 4.25 feet tall.

View Image

Plant #6 may be my favorite. At 4.75 feet she's a little taller but absolutely covered in buds. Her silhouette before harvest was like a small caricature of a cactus. Ultra frosty with gorgeous purple highlights. Quite dense despite the "delicate" look to these flowers. Big time tart pineapple stench reminiscent of C99. Mouthwatering.

View Image