Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > ICMag Vendor Forums > Female Seeds > Test Grows > Outdoor Grapefruit Test Grow Show

Thread Title Search
Post Reply
Outdoor Grapefruit Test Grow Show Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-13-2018, 07:38 AM #1
green-genes77
Member

green-genes77's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Emerald Empire
Posts: 300
green-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of light
Outdoor Grapefruit Test Grow Show

Hey all, I'm a little late to the show this year due to other horticultural obligations. I manage a tier 2 indoor facility in Oregon among other gardens, but there's nothing I like more than outdoor growing. These plants, and the Critical Sour plants (thread coming soon) that I was gifted to test, will be part of a last-wave plant out in a new outdoor spot I am developing that is full of sun and not much else. The wealth of photons should help us to catch up and get a good idea of what these plants can do at 44 degrees north!

These will be grown organicially and, depending on logisitics, will either be grown in moderately sized pots with primo potting media or in lightly amended native soil (the valley where they will be growing has a lot of excellent soil and most of my outdoor is grown in ground).

I'll start it off with a couple snaps of the packs/seeds and emerging seedlings, though not quite all of them have broken surface yet. All seeds were sprouted in unbleached paper napkins soaked in water with Zeus Juice added at 1 ml./gallon and adjusted to 7.0 pH. These packets were placed in a ziploc bag, left unsealed, in a dark propagation chamber that stayed a steady 75 degrees. All 10 seeds germinated within 36 hours. High quality, fresh seeds make a huge difference.

Germinated seeds were planted in 6 cell pony packs filled with a local coir/peat/perlite blend with plenty of worm castings, inoculants, and other goodies.

These emerged a little slower than the Critical Sour even though they germinated at the same pace. I inadvertently cut off the head of one individual in the snapshot below, but as she we grow along I'll make sure all of the girls get their time in the spotlight. Enjoy.


Note that there are only 9 plants. I expect the 10th will be along soon.
green-genes77 is offline Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:45 AM #2
Kaskadian
Member

Kaskadian's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Interstellar Space
Posts: 755
Kaskadian is a splendid one to beholdKaskadian is a splendid one to beholdKaskadian is a splendid one to beholdKaskadian is a splendid one to beholdKaskadian is a splendid one to beholdKaskadian is a splendid one to beholdKaskadian is a splendid one to beholdKaskadian is a splendid one to beholdKaskadian is a splendid one to beholdKaskadian is a splendid one to beholdKaskadian is a splendid one to behold
Looking forward to the show. Best of luck this season. Looking forward to seeing a fellow Oregonian grow outdoors.
__________________
2018-2019 Indoors: Ace Seeds A5 Haze x New Killer Malawi
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread....04#post8403804

2018-2019 Indoors: Baked Beanz Malawi x Black Lime/Malawi
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread....97#post8403797

2018 Indoors: Female Seeds Chem OG Coco Grow
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=352668

2018 Indoors: ACE Purple Haze x Honduras (Landrace Sativa) Coco Grow
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=8176377

2017 Outdoors (45N) Bogglegum, Blue Moon Rocks, and Lifesaver.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=342429
Kaskadian is offline Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:10 AM #3
green-genes77
Member

green-genes77's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Emerald Empire
Posts: 300
green-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of light
Day 8

A quick update on these: it looks like the tenth plant never did emerge but 90 percent is still acceptable and these look like fine little plants. In the next 2 or 3 days I will be transplanting these into 3 inch pots and on July 1st they'll go into their final homes.

So far these just get clean water at pH 6.4.
green-genes77 is offline Quote


2 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-26-2018, 03:23 PM #4
Female Seeds
Vendor

Female Seeds's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Dordrecht, South Holland
Posts: 931
Female Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really nice
Good afternoon Green Genes!

So nice to see so this diary up and running already!
Thank you so much for documenting this strain on ICMag, much appreciated

You already a lovely germination rate, there's no better way of starting a fresh grow. Cheers to that!
And that single one that never made it....sorry to hear about it but it can happen.

Wish you the best of luck with this new adventure. Everything looks cool down there, pretty sure we will have quite some fun.

Take care and thanks once more for giving them a try
Mr B.


Quote:
Originally Posted by green-genes77 View Post
Hey all, I'm a little late to the show this year due to other horticultural obligations. I manage a tier 2 indoor facility in Oregon among other gardens, but there's nothing I like more than outdoor growing. These plants, and the Critical Sour plants (thread coming soon) that I was gifted to test, will be part of a last-wave plant out in a new outdoor spot I am developing that is full of sun and not much else. The wealth of photons should help us to catch up and get a good idea of what these plants can do at 44 degrees north!

These will be grown organicially and, depending on logisitics, will either be grown in moderately sized pots with primo potting media or in lightly amended native soil (the valley where they will be growing has a lot of excellent soil and most of my outdoor is grown in ground).

I'll start it off with a couple snaps of the packs/seeds and emerging seedlings, though not quite all of them have broken surface yet. All seeds were sprouted in unbleached paper napkins soaked in water with Zeus Juice added at 1 ml./gallon and adjusted to 7.0 pH. These packets were placed in a ziploc bag, left unsealed, in a dark propagation chamber that stayed a steady 75 degrees. All 10 seeds germinated within 36 hours. High quality, fresh seeds make a huge difference.

Germinated seeds were planted in 6 cell pony packs filled with a local coir/peat/perlite blend with plenty of worm castings, inoculants, and other goodies.

These emerged a little slower than the Critical Sour even though they germinated at the same pace. I inadvertently cut off the head of one individual in the snapshot below, but as she we grow along I'll make sure all of the girls get their time in the spotlight. Enjoy.
View Image
View Image
Note that there are only 9 plants. I expect the 10th will be along soon.
__________________
Female Seeds Team
Female Seeds, SO EASY!!
Female Seeds is offline Quote


Old 07-03-2018, 04:00 AM #5
green-genes77
Member

green-genes77's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Emerald Empire
Posts: 300
green-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of light
Day 19

The Outdoor Grapefruit are just soaking up the sunshine and growing a bit every day. These are just days away from transplanting into their final homes and then the show can really begin!

green-genes77 is offline Quote


2 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:51 AM #6
green-genes77
Member

green-genes77's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Emerald Empire
Posts: 300
green-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of light
Day 24

Transplant day! These were planted in a high-grade local potting medium cut at a 5:1 ratio with worm castings. 4.5 gallons of this mix was allotted per 5 gallon bucket and a tablespoon of CalPril lime was added as a buffer and Ca source. These shouldn't skip a beat as they transition into flower, and once they are well acclimated I'll do some training on them. The roots look great, which is always a good sign!


green-genes77 is offline Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:16 PM #7
Female Seeds
Vendor

Female Seeds's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Dordrecht, South Holland
Posts: 931
Female Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really nice
Healthy roots and healthy plants, love that

I forgot to mention that if you notice the Outdoor Grape. growing slower than the Critical Sour or even flower later, that's kind of normal and can happen.
The fact is that the percentage of Autoflowering in the Critical S. is higher than the Outdoor G. and that specific feature can sometimes trigger the plant. Anyhow it will be fun to notice if one is faster than the other

Take care and until next update!
Mr B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by green-genes77 View Post
Transplant day! These were planted in a high-grade local potting medium cut at a 5:1 ratio with worm castings. 4.5 gallons of this mix was allotted per 5 gallon bucket and a tablespoon of CalPril lime was added as a buffer and Ca source. These shouldn't skip a beat as they transition into flower, and once they are well acclimated I'll do some training on them. The roots look great, which is always a good sign!
View Image

View Image
__________________
Female Seeds Team
Female Seeds, SO EASY!!
Female Seeds is offline Quote


Old 07-23-2018, 07:39 AM #8
green-genes77
Member

green-genes77's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Emerald Empire
Posts: 300
green-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of light
Day 34

Off to the races! These look to have a bit more veg time on them, and I am reluctant to alter their growth too much because they seem perfect as they are. It's likely that support will be needed on these before the end, so they may end up with tomato cages within the next several days.

These have stretched out like mad but are extremely sturdy plants. Two main phenotypes show. The first is robust and appears sativa-leaning with a strong growth pattern. The second leggier with more focus on the apical growth. One stands out from either of these groups though, and that's the extremely squat, wide-leaf phenotype that smells the most like grapefruit so far.

These received their first feeding today after subsisting off of the potting media I had them in for their first month or so. After taking a slurry test that read pH: 6.2 and ppm: 470 I mixed the following at 6.5 pH:

1 TBS/gal. Medusa's Magic 2-5-2
1 tsp/gal. Maxicrop Liquid Kelp
2 TBS/gal.Herculean Harvest Liquid Bone
1 tsp/gal. Olympus Up Liquid Limestone

A strong foundation of Ca++ will keep these uptaking like crazy and build a nice infrastructure for holding the fat colas I know they are going to produce.

#1-#5, with the skinnier phenos on the ends.


#6-9, note the squat phenotype on the end.



Up close view from above of the broad-leaf, squat phenotype.



Group Shot

green-genes77 is offline Quote


3 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-02-2018, 12:26 PM #9
Female Seeds
Vendor

Female Seeds's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Dordrecht, South Holland
Posts: 931
Female Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really nice
Hello Green-Genes,

thanks for the update mate Your ladies really look gorgeous, fantastic job!

It's nice to observe that the transplant really gave them some boost, the stretching is quite evident!
I believe that you will have more complications with the Outdoor G. rather than with the Critical S. since the first one has the tendency to develop more in height. Having a tomato cage in her case is not a bad idea at all. Though both Critical S. and Outdoor G. look like they are at the same height more or less. Or is it a wrong impression?

And thanks for pointing out the phenos, I was actually extremely curious about that. The Sativa and the squat one are quite common phenos, and makes totally sense what you are writing. The squat one is a great pheno because it normally it combines elements from the Sativa pheno but also from the Indicaish one too (if you find the more Indicaish pheno then you will have a really peculiar lady).

Thanks once more for the detailed updates and for the pictures, much appreciated GG,

Take care and until next update!
Mr B.



Quote:
Originally Posted by green-genes77 View Post
Off to the races! These look to have a bit more veg time on them, and I am reluctant to alter their growth too much because they seem perfect as they are. It's likely that support will be needed on these before the end, so they may end up with tomato cages within the next several days.

These have stretched out like mad but are extremely sturdy plants. Two main phenotypes show. The first is robust and appears sativa-leaning with a strong growth pattern. The second leggier with more focus on the apical growth. One stands out from either of these groups though, and that's the extremely squat, wide-leaf phenotype that smells the most like grapefruit so far.

These received their first feeding today after subsisting off of the potting media I had them in for their first month or so. After taking a slurry test that read pH: 6.2 and ppm: 470 I mixed the following at 6.5 pH:

1 TBS/gal. Medusa's Magic 2-5-2
1 tsp/gal. Maxicrop Liquid Kelp
2 TBS/gal.Herculean Harvest Liquid Bone
1 tsp/gal. Olympus Up Liquid Limestone

A strong foundation of Ca++ will keep these uptaking like crazy and build a nice infrastructure for holding the fat colas I know they are going to produce.

#1-#5, with the skinnier phenos on the ends.
View Image

#6-9, note the squat phenotype on the end.

View Image

Up close view from above of the broad-leaf, squat phenotype.

View Image

Group Shot

View Image
__________________
Female Seeds Team
Female Seeds, SO EASY!!
Female Seeds is offline Quote


Old 08-15-2018, 07:49 AM #10
green-genes77
Member

green-genes77's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Emerald Empire
Posts: 300
green-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of light
Early Flower

The Outdoor Grapefruit started to kick into flower right at the beginning of August. These generally have a nice open x-mas tree structure with one exception that is shorter and squatter. All have citrusy smells to their stems and petioles that is a great omen for some serious grapefruit flowers in early October.

These are getting a calcium rich diet including Medusa's Magic, Herculean Harvest, and a chitin-rich slurry called The Kraken that is great for pest resistance and structural integrity.

These look as though they are going to finish in the first week of October and are incredibly easy to grow. More shots to come as these buds build!

green-genes77 is offline Quote


3 members found this post helpful.

Post Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:20 PM.




This site is for educational and entertainment purposes only.
You must be of legal age to view ICmag and participate here.
All postings are the responsibility of their authors.
Powered by: vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.