Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > ICMag Vendor Forums > Female Seeds > Test Grows > Critical Sour Test Grow Show

Thread Title Search
Critical Sour Test Grow Show Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-13-2018, 12:47 PM #21
Female Seeds
Vendor

Female Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really nice
Wow, those are some good pictures of great plants Green-Genes
And they are getting frostier update by update!

That's a perfect description, the closer we get to harvest time, the more evident are the features of its terpenes. Nice that is matching our expectations since the Critical Sour it's a well elaborated cross, including the father Maroc x Grapefruit (that's where the spiciness derives from too) crossed with the Auto NL x Auto NL x Auto Critical which is also a unique combination of terpenes too (including the earthy/weedy smell).
You will see the result of this cross when you will test it, actually I am really looking forward to hearing your opinion about it since you underlined the converging of terpenes.

Thanks for the constant updates, much appreciated my friend.

All the best,
Mr B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by green-genes77 View Post
Critical Sour is starting to show some differentiation in flower forms and pace of flowering. These are still getting a balanced diet high in calcium but it will be time to taper off over the next week or two as harvest approaches.

The terpenes, however are converging rather than diverging. There are still subtle differences but what ties these together is the sourness of the nose regardless of the phenotype. These are going to be mouthwatering as they finish over the next few weeks.

One exception looks like it'll need another month:

View Image

Some nice budshots of the other plants, all needing 2 to 3 weeks before they finish, generally looking massive!:

View Image

View Image

View Image

View Image

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:45 AM #22
green-genes77

green-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of light
The Home Stretch

...at least for the majority of these, which look like they'll be ready in the next week to ten days. We have had some unseasonably cold nights recently, dipping down to 41 a couple of times. This has really helped to bring out the purple in most of these plants, and coupled with the increasing strength of the terpenes, they are making my mouth water already.

Feeding for most of these has now been reduced to a finishing formula that I like to use involving two products. One is from Nectar for the Gods and is called Aphrodite's Extraction. This is a product made from dairy milk digested with Humic acids to make the sugars and calcium available to plants. This usually helps to being out the colors of fall and put a fine finish on the sweetness of the flower. The other is from South Cascade Organics and is called SLF-100, a liquid inoculant/enzyme blend valuable for processing leftover nutrients in the soil and making them available to the plant via mocrobial and enzymatic action. Really helps to use up the last of the P in the soil and give the flowers a nice clean flavor and smoke.

Most of the plants are variations on a theme, and will be ready within ten days. These generally smell sour but also richly of exotic spice. They vary a little, some being more like Maroc and some quite like Grapefruit. These represent 8 of 10 plants. Two plants will take an additional week to ten days but bear a similar delicious terpene profile that is ultra-sweet and reminds me of black cherries. One individual, the fastest, has a strong solvent/glue aroma that rasps the nose a little. I am interested to see how that one's terps come through in the flavor. All look like they will yield well for their size and have thick, dense clusters with strong tops. Here are some shots of the more typical plants:

A lower bud of the solvent/glue phenotype which could be ready any day now:

A nice shot of one of the slower plants, should be done in early/mid October:

That's all for now. Stay tuned for the next installment which should include some harvest pictures!
green-genes77 is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-27-2018, 01:22 PM #23
Female Seeds
Vendor

Female Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really niceFemale Seeds is just really nice
Love the purple tinge, and great news concerning the terpenes...I wish I could smell it too

And I find really interesting the formula you are using for this final phase, especially the SLF-100. I have been looking for something that, beside the flush, could "clean up" the left overs and this sounds great. Even though I am not an expert of enzymatic action and so on, I find it quite intriguing.

And nice description of smells, it matches the Critical Sour background somehow the combination of the Maroc and Outdoor Grapefruit created such a peculiar smell, and I am glad to see that it matches your opinion too. Personally, I just harvested my Critical Sours and I have to say that the sourness is there together with spicyness, quite strongly I must say
Though, I am extremely curious to hear about those 2 special ladies with the solvent/glue and black cherry smell, must be mouthwatering indeed.

Looking forward to harvest time!

Take care,

Cheers,
Mr B.

Quote:
...at least for the majority of these, which look like they'll be ready in the next week to ten days. We have had some unseasonably cold nights recently, dipping down to 41 a couple of times. This has really helped to bring out the purple in most of these plants, and coupled with the increasing strength of the terpenes, they are making my mouth water already.

Feeding for most of these has now been reduced to a finishing formula that I like to use involving two products. One is from Nectar for the Gods and is called Aphrodite's Extraction. This is a product made from dairy milk digested with Humic acids to make the sugars and calcium available to plants. This usually helps to being out the colors of fall and put a fine finish on the sweetness of the flower. The other is from South Cascade Organics and is called SLF-100, a liquid inoculant/enzyme blend valuable for processing leftover nutrients in the soil and making them available to the plant via mocrobial and enzymatic action. Really helps to use up the last of the P in the soil and give the flowers a nice clean flavor and smoke.

Most of the plants are variations on a theme, and will be ready within ten days. These generally smell sour but also richly of exotic spice. They vary a little, some being more like Maroc and some quite like Grapefruit. These represent 8 of 10 plants. Two plants will take an additional week to ten days but bear a similar delicious terpene profile that is ultra-sweet and reminds me of black cherries. One individual, the fastest, has a strong solvent/glue aroma that rasps the nose a little. I am interested to see how that one's terps come through in the flavor. All look like they will yield well for their size and have thick, dense clusters with strong tops. Here are some shots of the more typical plants:

View Image

View Image

A lower bud of the solvent/glue phenotype which could be ready any day now:

View Image

A nice shot of one of the slower plants, should be done in early/mid October:

View Image

That's all for now. Stay tuned for the next installment which should include some harvest pictures!

Old 09-30-2018, 02:47 AM #24
green-genes77

green-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen-genes77 is a glorious beacon of light
Harvest! Wave One Post One

The first seven Critical Sour came down yesterday and I am well pleased by the results so far. There was a little bit of mold on a couple of these but so far they seem to have stood up to the elements well, though we've really only had our first rain and even then it was minimal. Nonetheless these are large and dense flowers so I'm happy with their resistance qualities.

#1 This one came in at about 3.5 feet tall, smelling of honeysuckle, spice, and mixed floral notes. Had a little mold but should still yield well.

#2 About 4 feet tall. Again heavy on the floral spice but with a bit more citrus than #1. A little mold on this one too.

#3 The shorty of the bunch at 3.25 feet. Extra density on this very frosty little plant that smelled of glue/solvent laid over a sweet citrus funk.

#4 This 3.5 foot plant made extra dense buds. Milder terpenes than the rest, mostly earthy, citrus and spice.

#5 3.5 feet tall and reeks of dank citrus, specifically grapefruit. Yum!

As you can see, these tend to have huge terminal colas and put on some nice color. You'll note there are a couple that could arguably use a couple more days, but with mold creeping in on the most mature specimens it was a sacrifice worth making. Still some very high grade herb!

Stay tuned for the last two and some thoughts.

Old 09-30-2018, 02:56 AM #25
green-genes77

Harvest! Wave One Post Two

#6 Sweet citrus spice combined with "warmer" fruit smells like cherry. 4.25 feet tall with extremely nice looking buds. Lower bud pic included due my inability to get a good shot of the (significantly riper) tops.

#7 3.25 foot shorty. Sweet grapefruit overwhelms the nostrils with something like spice and cherries on the backend.

Overall these are very colorful, strong plants with good trichome coverage and interesting terpenes. This early harvest suggests that Critical Sour has some potential as a plant for small spaces, short-summer climates, and guerrilla growers. These are easy to grow plants that tend toward one massive central cola with small, tightly held branches and perhaps would do well in a Sea of Green environment.

More to come!

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:20 AM #26
Female Seeds
Vendor

Hello GG, hope all is well
Sorry to hear about the mould, hope it was nothing too serious as you describe.
Pictures are perfectly fine, I see the beautiful colours together the dense and fat buds
Seems like the citrus/floral smell is a constant element of your CS, but you feel the spicy/earthy presence of the Maroc in the background.
This "contrast" between spicy and fruity floral will surprise you a lot once you will try it out. I am really looking forward to hearing about that actually...

I am really curious to hear about Critical Sour #3 once dried. The smell that you describe it's quite interesting and unexpected.

Thanks once more for the precise descriptions, I am so glad to see and hear such detailed info.

Take care,
Mr B.

Quote:
#6 Sweet citrus spice combined with "warmer" fruit smells like cherry. 4.25 feet tall with extremely nice looking buds. Lower bud pic included due my inability to get a good shot of the (significantly riper) tops.

View Image

#7 3.25 foot shorty. Sweet grapefruit overwhelms the nostrils with something like spice and cherries on the backend.

View Image

Overall these are very colorful, strong plants with good trichome coverage and interesting terpenes. This early harvest suggests that Critical Sour has some potential as a plant for small spaces, short-summer climates, and guerrilla growers. These are easy to grow plants that tend toward one massive central cola with small, tightly held branches and perhaps would do well in a Sea of Green environment.

More to come!

Old 10-11-2018, 07:05 PM #27
green-genes77

Harvest! Wave two.

This update is a long time coming...busy time of the year! These two plants came down on 10-04 and represent pretty different areas of the terpene heritage of this line.

Plant #8 had a tiny bit of mold, but hung in strong through the first rainfall of the season on 10-01 to chunk up nicely. This is a very fruity plant, with a lot of overripe pineapple, cherry, and fruit punch notes. A little purpling on this lady as well. Very very dense.

Plant #9 is somewhat unique. This one has an excellent flower to leaf ratio and is extremely frosty. The jar appeal on this one is outstanding! Only a tiny bit of purpling here in these very dense buds that smell very earthy-spicy-sweet. This one reminds me of Maroc the most out of all these sisters.

Old 10-11-2018, 09:17 PM #28
green-genes77

The Final Cut

As of October 10th, this test grow of Critical Sour has come to a colorful and delightful end. The best definitely waited until the last in this pack of seeds.

Plant #10 developed a lot of purple coloration over the final 10 days of flowering, and black cherry soda competes with sweet pink grapefruit and fruit punch notes for terpene dominance. Very frosty flowers and only a little bit of mold appeared on this six foot tall plant, which could barely support the weight of her clusters by harvest time. Definitely my favorite!

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:59 PM #29
green-genes77

Stay tuned for harvest weights, budshots, smoke reports and overall impressions/ratings.

Old 10-22-2018, 02:32 PM #30
Female Seeds
Vendor

And it was a fantastic grow green-genes77. I want to thank you for all your effort, the constant updates and for all the precise and detailed info. I really appreciated each of your updates, and your dedication to detail especially.

I must say that this last plant, it's a perfect ending to such a wonderful grow.
More and more tempting smells' descriptions

Lurking for the smoke report

Thanks once more,

Cheers,
Mr B.

Quote:
As of October 10th, this test grow of Critical Sour has come to a colorful and delightful end. The best definitely waited until the last in this pack of seeds.

Plant #10 developed a lot of purple coloration over the final 10 days of flowering, and black cherry soda competes with sweet pink grapefruit and fruit punch notes for terpene dominance. Very frosty flowers and only a little bit of mold appeared on this six foot tall plant, which could barely support the weight of her clusters by harvest time. Definitely my favorite!

View Image

View Image