Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > Hobbies and Interests > Life calling/meaning (How did you find it?)

Thread Title Search
Life calling/meaning (How did you find it?) Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-07-2018, 10:21 PM #1
Demonic

Demonic will become famous soon enoughDemonic will become famous soon enoughDemonic will become famous soon enough
Lightbulb Life calling/meaning (How did you find it?)

Hi everyone.
I hope i'm not dragging you in a bad mood by asking this feared and highly introspective question, but i've been kinda stuck in a bad loop for the last half decade and still didn't find anything for me...
I just wanted to know how you all found a life meaning/calling/passion - whatever you want to call it, in other words, the thing that really makes you want to get up the morning and fight your way in this life.
And if you feel like it, leave suggestions for people having trouble finding it (like the aforementioned). Thanks.
Demonic is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:42 PM #2
moose eater

Location: Off a dead-end dirt road, near a river, out of town, in the hills and trees
moose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivor
As a kid, growing up, with the visions/dreams evolving over time, it was a matter of combination of conditioning, and the often/sometimes subconscious affect that can have on perspective and meaning, as well as values, visions of grandeur, and more.

Envisioning roles, interests, values put into action, etc. (*Maybe map some of this stuff out on paper, seriously).

Getting out of bed at that point for the sake of life.. Another day.. Some unexplained optimism at times, that made simple things very OK.

Then, later on, questioning where can this/I fit with minimal effort, and at the same time, desisting pursuit of some paths because of distrust of the self and abilities. Again, some conditioning in play, even at the point of which general path to take.

Trading convenience for dreams that might require a bit more sweat. Compromises that can haunt.

Finding a way to be, after many paths close or change, finding a fit.

Ultimately giving up on there being a magical fulfillment for everyone, and that sometimes it doesn't happen; at least not in this go-'round. Not for everyone.

Nearly every path can have the capacity to get old, no matter how much magic there might've been. Not everyone's, but for many.

Sometimes considering something totally off the wall, previously not thought of, etc. And if it feels dead at the outset, or some place into it, if you have the energy, get on a new track. And that can be a difficult time, too.

I tell folks that "I'm still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up."

Niche or not, tomorrow's a new day. And the one after that, too. Until it's not.
moose eater is offline Quote

5 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-07-2018, 11:16 PM #3
aridbud
automeister

aridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivor
Oh, I had several fantasy lives! In reality, I chose something I was interested in (as far as careers), and all my careers have centered around helping people: healthcare, education and now a different venture using those same career ladder rungs. When you volunteer or assist mankind, it puts a lot of puzzle pieces together, makes you feel worthy.

Never did I have any guidance from school counselors. I chose what I thought would make me happy, or have a sense of purpose.

Then having balance between career, I've been fortunate having good friends/relationships and family support (friendship, enthusiasm). Likewise, my recreational activities, I chose what I loved doing- being out in Nature, enjoying a good meal, learning something new everyday. As I grow older, I see I can't do what I did in my 20's-30's, yet find something to be passionate about.

Faith, although not overtly religious, I know or feel there's a 'higher power' and do what I can for the "best" of me.....everything else is incidental.

As I've grown older, I don't put up with the BS or excuses that people say/do when they choose not to fulfill a promise like I did when I was younger. And, I've said goodbye and best to you with toxic people in my life. It's exhausting to have an 'energy vampire' when you have unrelenting "downer people" in your life.

Think about what you'd really like to do (reality), and map out steps to attain it. School, training, a hobby....and if you need it, therapy, changing your life to a positive in small steady steps. Be satisfied with who you are and have quest to improve if you are in 'that dark place'. We're human, after all....we make mistakes. Own them. Ask for help. Enjoy small moments in Life.
John Harrigan
Instant gratification takes too long.
Carrie Fisher - RIP.
afterthought autos
We are passionate breeders growing organically in the USA and offer 27 autoflowering strains, 9 photoperiods in our decades of breeding expertise. afterthought autos - we are unique quality cannabis autoflower breeders for medical conditions and recreational stimulus. Auto breeding 13 years, and running strong!

https://www.icmag.com/ic/forumdisplay.php?f=65770
aridbud is online now Quote

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-07-2018, 11:18 PM #4
Maple_Flail

Maple_Flail is a jewel in the roughMaple_Flail is a jewel in the roughMaple_Flail is a jewel in the roughMaple_Flail is a jewel in the roughMaple_Flail is a jewel in the roughMaple_Flail is a jewel in the roughMaple_Flail is a jewel in the rough
simple.

Not accepting the phrase "No, you can't possibly do that." as pretty much every one that said that cannot logically answer the follow up question of "Why?"

SO chase Why... you get up in the morning, why and where you have and get your inspiration or imagination. Then Find out what makes you happy, if you can make a living off that you've found your calling for the moment. If you can't make a living from it, well now you know something that you didn't and your on to the next challenge.

Life is about Finding the answer, not, knowing it and then twiddling your thumbs.
Maple_Flail is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-07-2018, 11:29 PM #5
Weird
3rd eye jedi

Weird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivor

WWDLBD

WW1.618D

Quote:
The shape it takes could be yours to choose

What you may win, what you may lose
Sativa is manna from heaven - BLueGrassToker

Ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cured - Ureapwhatusow

nobody every told me i found out for myself, you've got to believe in foolish miracles - o. osborne

Although the masters make the rules
For the wise men and the fools
I got nothing, Ma, to live up to - b. Dylan
Weird is offline Quote

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-08-2018, 12:18 AM #6
420somewhere
Hi ho here we go

420somewhere is a survivor420somewhere is a survivor420somewhere is a survivor420somewhere is a survivor420somewhere is a survivor420somewhere is a survivor420somewhere is a survivor420somewhere is a survivor420somewhere is a survivor420somewhere is a survivor420somewhere is a survivor
Cool I grew up poor...

I guarantee you I know the value of a dollar.

When I got out of the Army, I went to college and got a degree in Business, Accounting. I told a female Professor I was going to write a computerized accounting system and she said I couldn’t do it.

I went to work for a CPA firm (pushing lead) where everything was still done by hand.

I hated it, I left the firm when I didn’t want join the firm (to be groomed for a partnership).

I bought a computer (before IBM PC) and wrote a Client Write-up Package for CPAs. It was successful and it launched my career. I went on to work with major players in the computer industry. I was a contractor working for the defense industry, sold the million dollar deal (Sperry VAR program) and was a Director for a Fortune 50 Medical Software Company for ten years.

It was a blast, doing what I really wanted to do.

That’s how I found my vision. I didn’t start out looking to get rich But life’s been good to me.
420somewhere is online now Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:36 AM #7
Demonic

Demonic will become famous soon enoughDemonic will become famous soon enoughDemonic will become famous soon enough
Thank you all for answering, that was awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird View Post
Exactly. This is exactly what i meant, i didn't know there was a proper term.
Demonic is offline Quote

Old 05-08-2018, 09:09 AM #8
Demonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 420somewhere View Post
I guarantee you I know the value of a dollar.

When I got out of the Army, I went to college and got a degree in Business, Accounting. I told a female Professor I was going to write a computerized accounting system and she said I couldnít do it.

I went to work for a CPA firm (pushing lead) where everything was still done by hand.

I hated it, I left the firm when I didnít want join the firm (to be groomed for a partnership).

I bought a computer (before IBM PC) and wrote a Client Write-up Package for CPAs. It was successful and it launched my career. I went on to work with major players in the computer industry. I was a contractor working for the defense industry, sold the million dollar deal (Sperry VAR program) and was a Director for a Fortune 50 Medical Software Company for ten years.

It was a blast, doing what I really wanted to do.

Thatís how I found my vision. I didnít start out looking to get rich But lifeís been good to me.
Wow. Congratulations and respect! ... Thanks for sharing. I liked programming too but as with everything else, i didn't find in me a special talent, i was pretty fast at learning the basics but too slow at grasping the more complex hardware and networking concepts.
I kinda tried a lot of things honestly. I started off with programming, i tried different languages, i tried web development etc.. but then i got bored. I tried (And i still do occasionally, when i don't feel too much shit) drawing... But i have no talent and i studied it and practiced it for over one year but i still am a noob, like, it looks like i started some months ago. Then i tried 3d modelling... Bored of that too. Then music composing, guitar, piano, i have all sorts of DAWs on my pc. Then i fkin got into blacksmithing ffs, but that required too much money to practice and got bored anyways. I looked up any job i could find in the mainstream job psychology websites and still not inspired about any one of them. Useless to say, if we bring up the Maslow's hierarchy of needs, i only got (at least, luckily) the first layer (the physiological one). I am now in need to go to an university and i still don't know a general picture of what i should do, what am i supposed to do... I mean, i can't just choose a random university and spend money on it without even knowing why...
The funny thing is that i have read so many things about self development, inspirational stuff, motivation, self discipline that i could help people solving the same problem i have, but still unable to do so with myself. As a matter of fact i tried doing countless exercises and writing down little life goals or envisions, but i couldn't get more specific, i only could generalize stuff...

Oh right, and people that got some problems with this life meaning/passion/ikigai thing are welcome to write down or vent (moderately) in this thread. This is my little contribution to the forum, i couldn't find any similar thread (or i just suck at searching too).

Also, guys sorry but i don't know how to quote more people in the same post and i don't want to flood the thread, so, i just implicitly quoted you.
Demonic is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-08-2018, 06:32 PM #9
GoatCheese

GoatCheese has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by aridbud View Post
.. and all my careers have centered around helping people: healthcare, education and now a different venture using those same career ladder rungs. When you volunteer or assist mankind, it puts a lot of puzzle pieces together, makes you feel worthy.

[...]

As I've grown older, I don't put up with the BS or excuses that people say/do when they choose not to fulfill a promise like I did when I was younger. And, I've said goodbye and best to you with toxic people in my life. It's exhausting to have an 'energy vampire' when you have unrelenting "downer people" in your life.
LOL!
..You make me wonder "who will heal the healers"

If you think some people can't find passion in life just because "they're making excuses", then you're just ignorant = you have chosen to ignore the fact that some people aren't like you.

And it's the other people who are the toxic vampires, right.
GoatCheese is offline Quote

Old 05-08-2018, 06:42 PM #10
GoatCheese

GoatCheese has disabled reputation
Seeking passion and seeking love is abit the same thing, but are you sure you're ever gonna "find" it by seeking it, or are those things the kind that will just happen? So are you trying too hard to find things?
Sure you're never gonna find a boy/girl friend by sitting at home, but dating lots of people isn't going to guarantee you'll find love either.
-
-

You Demonic and most people who replied here seem to associate life passion/meaning with WORK , but for some people it's not a work-related thing.

I never have wanted to be anything, and it can be frustrating when you can't figure out what you'd WANT to do. So work has become the necessary evil for me, but i don't even bother to think about it anymore; Just keep on grinding it out, don't think about how shitty your job is and enjoy your free-time.

So, Demonic are you sure it's the best way that you try to "find passion and make a pay check" out of the same thing? Maybe you should try to figure out what you're willing to do for a pay check and then focus on finding passion/meaning on your free-time. I think you should figure this out before you commit yourself to expensive education.
GoatCheese is offline Quote