Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > General Gardening > Have Fruits and Vegetables Become Less Nutritious?

Thread Title Search
Click for great deals at MB Ferts
Have Fruits and Vegetables Become Less Nutritious? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-22-2018, 08:13 PM #21
aridbud
automeister

aridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robrites View Post
Hey! Howdy,
Saw the GLG today.
Killer!
Thanks!
John Harrigan
Instant gratification takes too long.
Carrie Fisher - RIP.
afterthought autos
We are passionate breeders growing organically in the USA and offer 27 autoflowering strains, 9 photoperiods in our decades of breeding expertise. afterthought autos - we are unique quality cannabis autoflower breeders for medical conditions and recreational stimulus. Auto breeding 13 years, and running strong!

https://www.icmag.com/ic/forumdisplay.php?f=65770
aridbud is offline Quote

Old 04-01-2018, 02:15 AM #22
SoulAnnoyed
Banned

SoulAnnoyed is a jewel in the roughSoulAnnoyed is a jewel in the roughSoulAnnoyed is a jewel in the roughSoulAnnoyed is a jewel in the roughSoulAnnoyed is a jewel in the roughSoulAnnoyed is a jewel in the roughSoulAnnoyed is a jewel in the rough
Seems like a multi faceted problem, I know people whose been growing tomatoes their wholes lives the same way rotating fields, they don't even want to eat what they grow anymore.

Commercial produce has the added benefit of cheap fertilizer sources. I dont tend rabbits and chickens because i like to. I just need to know the input of my fertilizer machines.

The guy who invented hydroponics (synthetic nutes skipping the plants digestive soil) regretted it in his lifetime. Yet everyone uses the crud. Thats a whole 'nother problem than cow manure from cows fed gummy worms and candy corn. I mean you can tell if your guano came from fruit bats or not. So when your nutes smell like somones smoking meth, were made in a test tube, you know youre not getting a natural product with natural properties. Hydroponic isn't low nutrition, its non nutrition and a mutated cellular structure opening the plant up to new infections.

We do grow terrific okra. We have our own strain apparently. Since the variety cannot be located in any catalogue. I suppose if we kept tomatoes seeds our tomatoes wouldn't suck.

Last edited by SoulAnnoyed; 04-01-2018 at 02:37 AM..
SoulAnnoyed is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-28-2018, 09:34 PM #23
BusyB

BusyB will become famous soon enough
Old heritage seeds offer much more in flavour and nutrition.
BusyB is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-29-2018, 03:31 AM #24
Green Squall

Green Squall is a survivorGreen Squall is a survivorGreen Squall is a survivorGreen Squall is a survivorGreen Squall is a survivorGreen Squall is a survivorGreen Squall is a survivorGreen Squall is a survivorGreen Squall is a survivorGreen Squall is a survivorGreen Squall is a survivor
Today I planted heirloom swiss chard, spinach and kale from Victory Seeds. I'm sticking to container gardening this year, except for root vegetables, because the garden fence is in shambles. Honestly, it needs to be taken down and rebuilt at this point.
Green Squall is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-20-2018, 03:35 PM #25
margesimp15

margesimp15 will become famous soon enough
this is interesting.... unfortunately not everyone has access to local organic farmers
margesimp15 is offline Quote

Old 07-20-2018, 03:39 PM #26
troutman
Seed Whore

troutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivor
Crop rotation should be practiced more often.

How many solo cups does one need?

Who created the Original Skunks?
troutman is offline Quote

Old 08-14-2018, 07:11 AM #27
chris_martinx

chris_martinx will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtacofarmer View Post
If you breed fruit and vegetables to look pretty and yield well for enough generations I am sure the nutritional value goes down. Look what happens when a crappy breeder gets ahold of a great strain.
+1

but aren't the fresh nutritious ones supposed to look pretty? I'd prefer good-looking fruits over bland ones any day.
chris_martinx is offline Quote

Old 08-14-2018, 12:17 PM #28
Lost in a SOG
~~~~~~~~~~~

Lost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant future
Its 100% true.. Especially magnesium is horribly deficient in soils and in humans.. 80+% of westeners are Mg deficient.

Monoculture is a blight.. It destroys soil dynamics long term and the soil biome and quickly becomes an artificial clinicised wasteland as petrochemical byproducts are sprayed on the ground to maintain it.

Its a bit like humans, you only eat one thing (say carbs) so you get an overgrowth of candida or staphylococcus lets say and then you're taking antibiotics and harsh antifungals which kill everything off in your microbiome, it can take someone several years to repair their gut biome in response to this ignorant short sighted approach to good diet.. Soils' the same.. Diversity is strength.

If you grow it yourself in real soil and its an heirloom it will be fine but the varieties the agricorps have been breeding for years just puts on water and sugar weight to produce big heavy fruits/leaves..

Nutrition and a long healthy life for consumers is not the priority for corporations, guess what it never was either.. Filling bellies for the highest profit is.

Also people have been conditioned into being taste pussies, everything is so bland and the phytochemistry we once ate these foods for has consitantly gone down..

Last edited by Lost in a SOG; 08-14-2018 at 12:28 PM..
Lost in a SOG is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-16-2018, 05:01 PM #29
BubbaBear

BubbaBear has a spectacular aura aboutBubbaBear has a spectacular aura aboutBubbaBear has a spectacular aura aboutBubbaBear has a spectacular aura aboutBubbaBear has a spectacular aura about
The soils are definitely depleted and saturated with chems like glyphosate. But a lot of the reason many fruits and vegetables taste like bland crap is because of the growth hormones and PGRs they use, just like PGRs commercial weed growers use that grow fat dark green nugs that lack essential oils, it's the same deal with fruits and veggies.

Like if you see a bunch of plump really colorful apples and they all look perfect and identical its cause sketchy chems were used to make it explode in growth but it's going to taste like styrofoam and have the nutritional value of a potato.

A while back I remember reading about watermelons growers in China that were using a PGR so powerful it was causing the watermelons to literally explode.

Theres a lot of crazy shit in the stuff we eat these days but I'm I think I'm more concerned about the chemicals and hormones lurking in our food than the vitamins its lacking.
BubbaBear is offline Quote