What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

When to pot the clones

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
So I took clones of 5 different plants a bit over 3 weeks ago and they are showing roots out the sides and bottom of the rapid rooters. I applied rooting powder a week ago and the roots appeared. I think it helped.

These were from plants that were being harvested the next day, so cloning works any time before you harvest. One did not make it.

I just put these into soil now or do they need the humidity dome? They are under a humidity dome now. Wait for the roots to go crazy or just put them in soil once the roots show like they are now?:tiphat:

Last edited:

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
I would ween them off the dome and once hardened off, give them a good week to grow. Once you see visible growth, up pot to new container.

Cool you got them to root!

G

Gr33nSanta

I use a clone king, I dont use a dome, I tranplant when most of them are showing roots, by then, about 1/3 have strong roots, 1/3 have some, 1/3 have none or nobs only. I transplant everything I need as long as they have been in the rooter 10 days and they almost always work out even the ones that didnt show roots at day 10.

Betterhaff

Veteran
When I take clones off flowering plants I use the dome (in my case baggies) longer than cuts from a vegging plant. I’ve found the flowering cuts take a little longer to root and then have to also go thru a revegging phase before putting out much new growth. I will start weening from the humidity tent as Lester says once I’m sure roots are growing, removing it for periods of time, extending that period each time. You don’t want the plant to become too dependent of the extra humidity, you want them to start using the roots to promote top growth but you also don’t want the cuts to dry out either. Kind of a balancing act.

I root directly in medium so my process is a little different but I guess the key here is the cut has been taken from a flowering plant and it has to revert.

G

Gr33nSanta

My clone king has changed my life, I have 2 spare units, I never want to be left without it.

I used to suck at cloning and that is how I got into making seeds lol. Keeping a mother in the past was always a challenge, too many rounds of clones wouldnt work, I tried dome, individual bags on each pot, heat mat, .... Now I d get the odd round with 90+% but anyway.... I really used to hate the process.

Now, I get almost 100%, often time Id only have to wait longer to get 100% but I never need all of them.

Best part is clone look healthy all the way, never any yellowing of the leaves. Most round I use nothing but tap water, 10 days later voila, best part is no dome, the clone king sits on the edge of the veg room.

I will never clone without a cloner again.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
I have rooted clones from flower in my EZ cloner. They root in about the same time as veg clones, but as Betterhalf said they then go through reveg stage.

DRM Ranch

Yeah, the clones of flowered plants can take a huge quantity of time to do much more than root and root well.

I took several clones from several different strains fairly deep into flower, while all rooted about the same time, one particular strain took nearly a month to begin growing above the substrate. Below the substrate the roots were growing all along.

The late growing strain remained in a type of suspended animation, pistols remained perfectly white, and the crystallization remained in its previously unfinished state. All under 24/7 light.

At this point normal above the substrate growth has returned and we are off to the races again...