Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Growing in Greenhouses > Diy steel hoop house.

Thread Title Search
Diy steel hoop house. Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-11-2017, 08:28 AM #41
Devoted1

Devoted1 is on a distinguished road
Heyo Yuba! Thanks for the knowledge, I'm gonna do the exact same thing for my gh now. The outlet stove is genius haha. I never knew it existed until I read your thread the other day. About the auto light deprivation, I really appreciate that you'll be doing a tutorial on it later. I've looked into it yesterday and the only part that I'm stumped on is the pipe tubing that's swinging the motor around the gh. Does it telescope/extend? Thank you for your time Sir.

Last edited by Devoted1; 03-11-2017 at 10:32 AM..
Devoted1 is offline Quote

Old 03-11-2017, 07:51 PM #42
CrushnYuba

CrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to all
Devoted1: so depending on the shape of the greenhouse, the arms sometimes need to telescope. Regular round half circle greenhouses (quonset) shape don't need to telescope. If it has flat sidewalls or is a gothic arch, it will need to telescope. The pictures I shared earlier were not telescoping. It was on a half circle greenhouse.
The one I am building next has flat sidewalls so it will have to.
The motors can also be used for roll up side wall automation on a thermostat. I will probably do that also. Just because I have extra motors but I'm short on hand crank sides.
CrushnYuba is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-12-2017, 07:58 AM #43
queequeg152

queequeg152 is just really nicequeequeg152 is just really nicequeequeg152 is just really nicequeequeg152 is just really nicequeequeg152 is just really nicequeequeg152 is just really nicequeequeg152 is just really nicequeequeg152 is just really nice
excellent thread. i need to cruise the 'growing in greenhouses' section more.

i went though this thread pretty quickly so i may have missed it... but are you planning on any louver fans or anything like that in your end walls?

also i was suprised to see a pellet stove tbh. are pellets cheap where you are?

or is gas just not an option? i live down south so pellets are for luxury stoves only run a few months a year... so they are quite expensive typically, perhaps they are cheap up there?
queequeg152 is offline Quote

Old 03-12-2017, 09:07 AM #44
CrushnYuba

CrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to allCrushnYuba is a name known to all
. I am off grid so I try to keep my power usage to a minimum there to keep my solar system happy. wish that free energy growing thread was still going.

I have a 16" louvered exhaust fan im putting in my south end wall and a motorized intake louver in my north end wall.
Most of ventilation will be from the roll up sides. I have motors to automate the rolling up by thermostat that I'll be putting in, in a few days with my exhaust. Right now I have a hand crank that I stole off another greenhouse for a quick fix. Lol.
Most places in the U.S. has real cheap pellets. Definitely the north west and north east. Cheaper then propane and natural gas by far. Only thing cheaper here is regular old cord wood. But wood stoves can't be automated. Also, I really would hate to have to trench a line 50ft from my propane tank.

Here's a picture of my temporary roll up sides.

10 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:44 AM #45
queequeg152

queequeg152 is just really nicequeequeg152 is just really nicequeequeg152 is just really nicequeequeg152 is just really nicequeequeg152 is just really nicequeequeg152 is just really nicequeequeg152 is just really nicequeequeg152 is just really nice
yea that makes sense. propane heating is a last resort type of thing down here at least.

most folks with a propane tank are just running a stove and water heater... heating your house with it makes 0 sense because heat pumps work so damned well in our climate... barely 1-2% of our days are below 40 degrees.

love the roll up sides. really a top notch grade A poly tunnel. im guessing this isnt your first =).

are you going to bother trying to net off the roll up for insects and what have you? no clue what the pest pressures are like where ever you are.
queequeg152 is offline Quote

Old 03-12-2017, 12:31 PM #46
Amoeba

Amoeba has a spectacular aura aboutAmoeba has a spectacular aura aboutAmoeba has a spectacular aura aboutAmoeba has a spectacular aura aboutAmoeba has a spectacular aura about
Looking good!

Old 03-12-2017, 05:17 PM #47
Speed of green

Speed of green is a jewel in the roughSpeed of green is a jewel in the roughSpeed of green is a jewel in the roughSpeed of green is a jewel in the roughSpeed of green is a jewel in the roughSpeed of green is a jewel in the roughSpeed of green is a jewel in the rough
what lighting are you using? i read through but maybe i missed it.

also we have the same taste in cheap black and decker jigsaws, i have the same $20 model haha. works like a charm.
Speed of green is offline Quote

Old 03-12-2017, 08:10 PM #48
coldcanna

coldcanna has much to be proud ofcoldcanna has much to be proud ofcoldcanna has much to be proud ofcoldcanna has much to be proud ofcoldcanna has much to be proud ofcoldcanna has much to be proud ofcoldcanna has much to be proud ofcoldcanna has much to be proud ofcoldcanna has much to be proud ofcoldcanna has much to be proud ofcoldcanna has much to be proud of
Have you seen any auto dep systems that you can install inside the GH? We get hammered with snow in Maine and you'd have to be constantly shoveling snow away from the bottom on the outside.... must be a different way to go about this.

Great thread though thanks for posting all this good info

"One has not only a legal but a moral responsibility to obey just laws. Conversely, one has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws. I would agree with St. Augustine that "an unjust law is no law at all""

Freedom begins between the ears
coldcanna is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:38 PM #49
CrushnYuba

Speed of green: I have to lighting options. A string of bulbs. 9w leds and 23w cfls. This is all I use in most days.Just to keep em awake.
For rainy days I got hid. Those new 315w cmh greenhouse fixtures. They are cool because the reflectors are tiny and don't block natural light. Then I also have 600w hps hung vertically down the middle. Won't use these much.

Haha. Got that jig saw in a pinch in the middle of the night from Wal-Mart. I ordered a pack of those netafim sprayers to try. Also ordered pack of 6.6gpm pressure compensating drip emitters. Never seen emitters that big. That's flow equal to bubbler stakes.

Old 03-12-2017, 10:06 PM #50
CrushnYuba

Cold canna. I could totally help you with an internal dep but it will be pricy. Take a look at the forever flowering greenhouses and the big farmtek growspans and stuff. These don't roll. They use rack and pinion shade systems. Rack and pinion setups are expensive. Pretty complicated to.
The other option is a greenhouse frame within a greenhouse with the same roll up system I use.
Is it really snowing that much during dep season? You don't need to cover during the winter the days are already short.
Maine is a really hard place to grow in greenhouses. The winters get like no light and are freezing and long. The summers are humid. Indoor is amazing. Y'all got basements, housing and electricity is cheap, it's cold. At one point I was going to do some indoor projects down east. When i got outbid on a house I had an offer on outside Lewiston, I took it as a sign and said f it.

2 members found this post helpful.