Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Botany and Advanced Growing Science > Let's make Double Haploids

Thread Title Search
Let's make Double Haploids Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-25-2017, 08:07 AM #1
Tonygreen
IC Mag Supporter

Tonygreen is a survivorTonygreen is a survivorTonygreen is a survivorTonygreen is a survivorTonygreen is a survivorTonygreen is a survivorTonygreen is a survivorTonygreen is a survivorTonygreen is a survivorTonygreen is a survivorTonygreen is a survivor
Let's make Double Haploids

I see more and more people with the knowledge and skill set around here. I am still working on my aseptic protocol skills.

So what's up this is the double hap thread.

KNOWN BUBBLE HEAD
Tonygreen is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:03 AM #2
Rox

Rox is a jewel in the roughRox is a jewel in the roughRox is a jewel in the roughRox is a jewel in the roughRox is a jewel in the roughRox is a jewel in the roughRox is a jewel in the rough
Care to explain what a double haploid is?
Rox is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-25-2017, 01:05 PM #3
Phaeton
Speed of Dark

Phaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud of
Wink

Colchicine?
Phaeton is offline Quote

Old 02-25-2017, 02:51 PM #4
troutman
Seed Whore

troutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivor
Double haploid = diploid = normal organism

You sure you're not trying to make a tetraploid or triploid?

Working on Something Sneaky

Legalization may kill black markets. Government tyranny creates them.
troutman is offline Quote

Old 02-28-2017, 07:46 AM #5
Tonygreen
IC Mag Supporter

Tonygreen is a survivorTonygreen is a survivorTonygreen is a survivorTonygreen is a survivorTonygreen is a survivorTonygreen is a survivorTonygreen is a survivorTonygreen is a survivorTonygreen is a survivorTonygreen is a survivorTonygreen is a survivor
A double haploid is the fastest way to a true homozygous true breeding plant.

I have some protocols that also use oryzalin which may be much easier to source than colchicine.

I am truly surprised we have not seen this in cannabis. I seen a guys thread with a nice lab set up making tetras and tris... to me thats worthless, perfect set up for making double haps too!

True breeding in 1 generation.

I am eyeing a professional flow hood, I made one but it sucks ass ha!

KNOWN BUBBLE HEAD

Old 02-28-2017, 07:53 AM #6
Tonygreen
IC Mag Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rox View Post
Care to explain what a double haploid is?
doubling of chromosomes in a haploid cell makes a double hap.
A way to strongly influence probability in our favor...
The ability to make a homozygous line in one round can literally save a breeder a lifetime of work.
Traditional breeding methods are slow, one could fight heterozygosity for years trying to develop a strain. the big deal is more elite can be created and selected within less time.

KNOWN BUBBLE HEAD

Old 02-28-2017, 03:12 PM #7
troutman
Seed Whore

troutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonygreen View Post
The ability to make a homozygous line in one round can literally save a breeder a lifetime of work.
Traditional breeding methods are slow, one could fight heterozygosity for years trying to develop a strain. the big deal is more elite can be created and selected within less time.
Pics or it didn't happen.

Working on Something Sneaky

Legalization may kill black markets. Government tyranny creates them.
troutman is offline Quote

Old 03-01-2017, 03:54 AM #8
Dropped Cat
Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch

Dropped Cat has a brilliant futureDropped Cat has a brilliant futureDropped Cat has a brilliant futureDropped Cat has a brilliant futureDropped Cat has a brilliant futureDropped Cat has a brilliant futureDropped Cat has a brilliant futureDropped Cat has a brilliant futureDropped Cat has a brilliant futureDropped Cat has a brilliant futureDropped Cat has a brilliant future
Quote:
I am eyeing a professional flow hood, I made one but it sucks ass ha!

I saw a youtube vid from this guy who does plate swaps
for failed hard drives and his rig is self made and true.

I'll look around for the link and get back to this thread and post.

Old 03-11-2017, 11:17 PM #9
Only Ornamental
Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist

Only Ornamental has much to be proud ofOnly Ornamental has much to be proud ofOnly Ornamental has much to be proud ofOnly Ornamental has much to be proud ofOnly Ornamental has much to be proud ofOnly Ornamental has much to be proud ofOnly Ornamental has much to be proud ofOnly Ornamental has much to be proud ofOnly Ornamental has much to be proud ofOnly Ornamental has much to be proud ofOnly Ornamental has much to be proud of
Interesting subject!
Not sure how good that strategy will pay off with cannabis, though. There might be simple protocols which 'accidentally' work on cannabis too but what do you do with a doubled haploid then? It will most likely be a fragile, sick, weak, crippled runt whose only sense in life is being a homozygous carrier of a valuable and/or new mutation which will only come into play once outcrossed. To me right now (I admit, it's been a long day for me) it seems less trouble (and certainly more fun) to create a doubled haploid just because you can than all the crossing with other doubled haploids needed to find the real goal, a 'perfect' F1. Without genetic markers, the value of a DH especially in outcrossing species seems rather low to me.

I was reading into that subject a while back and there's a bunch of feasible strategies for certain crops. Most often, it's a freak of nature or a coincidence which creates and/or rescues the haploids of a given plant species (for example wide crossing in barley or tobacco: doesn't work so far with cannabis x hops, or does it?). Colchicine and IIRC also caffeine are used in the second step where you double the chromosomes. You should probably focus on gyno- and especially androgenesis . If I can re-find those papers again, I'll let you know.

Please spare a 'like', a dear friend of mine could need some motivation. Thanks!

Brainer on Retainer
: Why not rent a brain by the hour?
OO now on time-sharing
Only Ornamental is offline Quote

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:25 AM #10
Rox

Rox is a jewel in the roughRox is a jewel in the roughRox is a jewel in the roughRox is a jewel in the roughRox is a jewel in the roughRox is a jewel in the roughRox is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
High Tony

I've been trying to get my head around this & my head is spinning managed to get as far as understanding that a double haploid is a diploid as it carries 2 sets of chromosomes..Yeah? Or is a double haploid something else?

So if i am right, a diploid is identical to its parent? A haploid is a combination of both but not unique to either parent..

So if this diploid under goes Apomixis then..BINGO! Instant homozygous seeds...

I'm so excited at this prospect, assuming I have understood this correctly?

Anybody care to share some pictures?

Thanks
Rox is offline Quote