Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > General Gardening > Growing peppers through winter indoors?

Thread Title Search
Click for great deals at MB Ferts
Growing peppers through winter indoors? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-15-2017, 11:18 AM #1
Rubber Chicken

Question Growing peppers through winter indoors?

Hello all,

I just had an idea of growing some peppers, hot & sweet, under a fluorescent light through winter so they could get a good head start....... does anyone do this?

I know some will survive my winter outdoors but they usually die off a lot and there isn't much difference between ones that survive over winter and new ones i plant.

Please share your opinions.

Old 02-15-2017, 02:11 PM #2
zachrockbadenof

zachrockbadenof is a glorious beacon of lightzachrockbadenof is a glorious beacon of lightzachrockbadenof is a glorious beacon of lightzachrockbadenof is a glorious beacon of lightzachrockbadenof is a glorious beacon of lightzachrockbadenof is a glorious beacon of lightzachrockbadenof is a glorious beacon of lightzachrockbadenof is a glorious beacon of lightzachrockbadenof is a glorious beacon of lightzachrockbadenof is a glorious beacon of lightzachrockbadenof is a glorious beacon of light
hey rubber... I don't grow under lights, but I do bring in my peppers in pots n overwinter them in my greenhouse room... I cut em back, n by mid june we r getting peppers, while everyone else in 6+ weeks behind...
we do start new pepper seeds under fluor's n once they sprout which sometimes is weeks, they do really well, but for flowering I would think u need a lot more light then they will put out..
zachrockbadenof is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:28 PM #3
Rubber Chicken

I only want to 'veg' them under fluoros over winter so they have a strong base to boost from once it starts to get warmer.

Old 02-16-2017, 02:41 PM #4
zachrockbadenof

zachrockbadenof is a glorious beacon of lightzachrockbadenof is a glorious beacon of lightzachrockbadenof is a glorious beacon of lightzachrockbadenof is a glorious beacon of lightzachrockbadenof is a glorious beacon of lightzachrockbadenof is a glorious beacon of lightzachrockbadenof is a glorious beacon of lightzachrockbadenof is a glorious beacon of lightzachrockbadenof is a glorious beacon of lightzachrockbadenof is a glorious beacon of lightzachrockbadenof is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Chicken View Post
I only want to 'veg' them under fluoros over winter so they have a strong base to boost from once it starts to get warmer.
that should work, as my pepper seeds I start under fluor's, grow very well, so I would think it will maintain em during the winter tooo

Old 02-16-2017, 06:08 PM #5
Betterhaff

Betterhaff has a reputation beyond reputeBetterhaff has a reputation beyond reputeBetterhaff has a reputation beyond reputeBetterhaff has a reputation beyond reputeBetterhaff has a reputation beyond reputeBetterhaff has a reputation beyond reputeBetterhaff has a reputation beyond reputeBetterhaff has a reputation beyond reputeBetterhaff has a reputation beyond reputeBetterhaff has a reputation beyond reputeBetterhaff has a reputation beyond repute
I have some Caribbean Reds starts growing under flouros. They seem to be thriving. I started them as a germ test and am just letting them go, need to transplant tho. The problem I’m going to have is space, can’t really put them out till May. Might have to do some pruning and/or put them in a window sill down the road.

If you bring plants in to overwinter make sure you look out for and treat for pests. Peppers don’t get a lot but I had some years ago that got infested with aphids big time (no natural predators).
Betterhaff is offline Quote

Old 05-04-2017, 06:12 AM #6
LostTribe

LostTribe has disabled reputation
I have kept a couple alive in the window with minimal attention and just random watering then they reveg quick once you put them back out in the spring and are hearty producers.

C99 The Ultimate Search and Rescue Mission
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=334331

Treating Cancer with Concentrates
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=301121
LostTribe is offline Quote

Old 05-04-2017, 07:40 AM #7
Rubber Chicken

Thanks LostTribe.

Old 05-04-2017, 08:35 AM #8
Lester Beans
Frequent Flyer

Lester Beans is a survivorLester Beans is a survivorLester Beans is a survivorLester Beans is a survivorLester Beans is a survivorLester Beans is a survivorLester Beans is a survivorLester Beans is a survivorLester Beans is a survivorLester Beans is a survivorLester Beans is a survivor
Is that All Bundy in your avatar?? Awesome

Awwwwww Peg!

Wasn't Kelly hot??

I have a few flats of Caribbean reds going in the greenhouse.
Lester Beans is online now Quote

Old 05-07-2017, 09:41 PM #9
zachrockbadenof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester Beans View Post
Wasn't Kelly hot??
she was indeed HOT... tho didn't age all that well...

Old 05-08-2017, 05:38 AM #10
thelemons

thelemons will become famous soon enough
buildasoil had some videos on instagram of them growing peppers in a 4x4 tent (and all other things) under just one of those big 150w cfl.. never tried it myself, but apparently they arent too light intensive
thelemons is offline Quote