i dug through the remaining cups that showed no signs of life and found 2 that hadn't cracked.
i scuffed them up and put them back into the medium, made sure it was moist and covered and put the cups back onto the water heater.
5 would be a much better number to grow.
the three growing look nice. one is working on its 3rd set of leaves while the other two have 2 good sets of leaves each.
2 have survived this far. one is male and starting to flower under 24/0 from what I believe is due to being root bound. the other still hasn't shown sex.
I plan to collect pollen from the male and hopefully take cuts but it might be too late into flowr
i put him in a 1L airpot when i repotted him. he is now rootbound again and is flowering under 18/6 light. i'm just going to collect some pollen and cull him.
the female hasn't shown any poor reactions to being rootbound. quite branchy.
i've got her into flower now for the first time. she took 3 weeks of 12/12 to start flowering and virtually no stretch. maybe 6" from a 2' plant. all fan leaves are 3 or 4 fingered. quite the interesting plant.