Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Harvesting & Processing > Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Thread Title Search
Malawi Style Cob Curing. Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-18-2018, 08:42 AM #3261
HaHaHashish

You can cob without a vacuum sealer. Where the cob method calls for vacuum sealing, instead wrap the cobs very tightly with plastic cling wrap (Saran). Use a 10 inch x 10 inch piece of wrap for a forefinger of dense cob. Pull tightly and stretch the film as you roll up the cob, keep the tension on the wrap as you roll the cob. Also fold over the ends several times when rolling it up, the tighter the better. It takes a little practice, but soon you will be able to wrap and roll the cobs extremely tight. But as these are not put in a vacuum, so you will need to monitor them by unwrapping them every 2 ~ 4 days for the first few weeks to make sure they are not too damp, which will invite mold.
It takes a bit more work this way, but so long as you follow the instructions and tips in this thread and also keep the cobs within the range of not too damp and not too dry you will get great results.

If you are not sure about using your bud to try cobbing for the first time, then try it with trim and airy buds.

Happy Cobbing!

Last edited by HaHaHashish; 10-18-2018 at 09:02 AM..

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:19 AM #3262
Tangwena

Tangwena has a brilliant futureTangwena has a brilliant futureTangwena has a brilliant futureTangwena has a brilliant futureTangwena has a brilliant futureTangwena has a brilliant futureTangwena has a brilliant futureTangwena has a brilliant futureTangwena has a brilliant futureTangwena has a brilliant futureTangwena has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHaHashish View Post
You can cob without a vacuum sealer. Where the cob method calls for vacuum sealing, instead wrap the cobs very tightly with plastic cling wrap (Saran). Use a 10 inch x 10 inch piece of wrap for a forefinger of dense cob. Pull tightly and stretch the film as you roll up the cob, keep the tension on the wrap as you roll the cob. Also fold over the ends several times when rolling it up, the tighter the better. It takes a little practice, but soon you will be able to wrap and roll the cobs extremely tight. But as these are not put in a vacuum, so you will need to monitor them by unwrapping them every 2 ~ 4 days for the first few weeks to make sure they are not too damp, which will invite mold.
It takes a bit more work this way, but so long as you follow the instructions and tips in this thread and also keep the cobs within the range of not too damp and not too dry you will get great results.

If you are not sure about using your bud to try cobbing for the first time, then try it with trim and airy buds.

Happy Cobbing!
Thank you brother I knew someone scored a good cure. It was you all along why am I not surprised.
Hats off my friend thats gold info from the source itself.

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-19-2018, 02:42 AM #3263
HaHaHashish

I have tried the "submerge the plastic bag in hot water" vac seal method, it works ok, but I find that the vacuum dissipates next day with the sandwich bags I use (this would probably work well with plastic bags that are made specifically for vacuum sealing).

and since the Saran wrapped cobs (even really tightly wrapped cobs) are still partially permeable, don't keep the sealed cobs in a damp, humid environment as this could mean the difference between developing mold or not. The danger period is a about a week ~ 3 weeks after the 24 hours heat when the cobs are sealed in wrap and kept at room temps. So monitor the cobs during this time and if they feel wetter than very slightly damp, then allow the cobs to air dry for a few hours in a mid ~ low humidity room, then reseal when the exterior of the cobs are not cold/damp to touch.

I got mold only once out of about 20 cobs I've made over the past few years, it developed a a very light, patchy covering of white mold on the exterior. This was during a really humid few weeks and that cob was too wet before sealing and I didn't check on it. I wiped the mold off with a damp cloth then dried it and re-sealed it.

Also note that my cobs are rolled very tightly and in a month become very heavy, hard and dense like wood or closer to hash than bud (although when sliced off can be finger rubbed then made into a perfect slow burning joint. I think that very loosely rolled cobs would have too much surface area which would make matters worse if mold developed. With a very tightly rolled cob, the cob is a solid mass and mold won't develop inside the cob, if it does then appear on the exterior then it can be removed easily but a loosely compacted cob that develops mold would be a throw-away.

I hope all this talk of mold doesn't scare people (without a vac sealer) from trying cobbing as it can be done. so long as you follow the suggestions in this thread and create the right conditions, temps, dampness levels, duration and monitor the cobs through each stage then you will be Cobbing!

Happy Cobbing!

Last edited by HaHaHashish; 10-19-2018 at 02:58 AM..

5 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:40 AM #3264
Autotron

Autotron is on a distinguished road
Hey, can someone point me to the post that has the current and best way to make a cob? I looked from page 212 on like Tang said in his signature, but couldn't find it.

I made one of these last year and it was outstanding. I kicked myself though because I first read the original way to make it and then after I made it, I read through the thread more and saw the updated method. This thread is so huge I couldn't find it again though. Really looking forward to trying it again but just want to make sure I'm doing it with the newest best method.
Autotron is offline Quote

Old 10-19-2018, 09:49 AM #3265
Tangwena

Tangwena has a brilliant futureTangwena has a brilliant futureTangwena has a brilliant futureTangwena has a brilliant futureTangwena has a brilliant futureTangwena has a brilliant futureTangwena has a brilliant futureTangwena has a brilliant futureTangwena has a brilliant futureTangwena has a brilliant futureTangwena has a brilliant future
I'm illiterate in computer use so I pinched Repuks flow chart from 420 forum he has it on this thread somewhere but here it is.

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-19-2018, 02:51 PM #3266
707OGBUSH970

Gonna try this!

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-20-2018, 07:47 AM #3267
HaHaHashish

"Visible sweat droplets inside?" Yes? No?

If there aren't any droplets of moisture seen inside the bag during the 24 hours @ 40C then the material was too dry to begin with and fermentation won't take place, all you are doing is making tubular brick weed. If the material was damp, not dry when rolled up and placed in a bag on heat and you don't see any moisture droplets in the bag then the moisture escaped and the material dried out and fermentation also won't occur.

Old 10-21-2018, 04:17 PM #3268
Big Nasty

Big Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really nice
i'm having some problem to keep the cobs in the right humidity range:they dry unevenly so i have to unseal and dry them often,they look and smell good but fermentation seems too fast.Good Sunday folks.

Big Nasty is offline Quote

5 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:17 PM #3269
repuk
Altruistic Hazeist

repuk has much to be proud ofrepuk has much to be proud ofrepuk has much to be proud ofrepuk has much to be proud ofrepuk has much to be proud ofrepuk has much to be proud ofrepuk has much to be proud ofrepuk has much to be proud ofrepuk has much to be proud ofrepuk has much to be proud ofrepuk has much to be proud of
The fatter one will tend to dry unevenly as it is unevenly rolled.

Even on perfect cylinders they dry unevenly due to different densities, that's why I think is so critical a slow, stepped drying in airtight jars. The right time is when you notice lots of crystals on top of the surface, and it stops being supple and cracks.

Have a nice Sunday everyone!
repuk is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:51 PM #3270
Big Nasty

Big Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really nice
Hi Repuk,there are those white crystals(someone previously said are called plumes by cigars smokers,i can't find the post)on the drier surface.i'll let the third for another week and the first for 2,number 2 looks almost ready.the fattest one,well i might have exaggerated a bit ,i can't dry it properly,it's too wet and i fear it could rot instead of ferment.
Big Nasty is offline Quote