Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Botany and Advanced Growing Science > Florel soil drench to turn a male female?

Thread Title Search
Florel soil drench to turn a male female? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-30-2018, 08:37 AM #1
J-Icky

J-Icky is a jewel in the roughJ-Icky is a jewel in the roughJ-Icky is a jewel in the roughJ-Icky is a jewel in the roughJ-Icky is a jewel in the roughJ-Icky is a jewel in the rough
Florel soil drench to turn a male female?

So there is very limited info on reversing males to females using Florel, not sure of the actual chemical Iíll update with that later. There is also no info on its use as a soil drench on cannabis.

So long story short I got 2 males and rather than just cutting them Iíve decided to try an experiment while I wait for some other seeds to sprout and veg a little. Spraying Florel can be tricky according to the limited info as it will kill the leaves it contacts and should only be sprayed on the nodes where flowers form. I figured worst case I kill the 2 males I was gonna toss anyway, best c see I find and easier that more could use to turn males females to see their traits as breeding tools.

So since there is no real dosage info, even for foliar sprays I went with a middle dose according to the bottle. I used 2 oz of Florel to a gallon of water and watered it into the soil. This was on the 26th. The next day all the leaves were dropping but otherwise look fine.

Today I watered with normal nutrients and will see how they look tomorrow.

So for those still with me my plan is to water with the Florel once a week at 2oz a gal unless I see problems, then I will drop down to 1.5 or 1 oz a gal. I will continue this until I see signs of female flowers or until the plants die. If the plants are still alive but not changing after 3 weeks I will reevaluate things at that time. If the plants have just continued to grow as Normal and have continued to put out male flowers I will call it failure and chop the plants and call it a lesson learned. If the plants are still alive, not putting out female flowers but not putting out new male sacs then I may try upping the dose for a few weeks and see what happens.

Like I said this is just an experiment simply because I have the plants and until the new seeds pop and grow big enough I have nothing else to put into the space. It may be a massive waste of time and chemicals and utilities but this is just a hobby for me so there is no real ďlossĒ or whatever commercial growers would consider it. My hope is that it works or at least shows positive signs to work with in the future and eventually future hopeful breeders will have an easier, less guest, way of seeing what a male has to offer and gets them away from the current trend of reversing the latest clone only and chucking its pollen on another clone only and calling it breeding.

Hope you all enjoy, unfortunately there will be no pics or very limited ones as I live in a not so friendly place but I will be happy to answer any questions I can and even hope others who may have tried something similar can offer me some advice.
J-Icky is offline Quote

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-30-2018, 03:09 PM #2
TychoMonolyth

TychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivor
Good experiment.

2018 Season's Post Mortem and Best Practices

~

Silverback's Threads: the Complete Collection
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=299104

Julian's Massive Outdoor Grow thread
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=62895

------------
TychoMonolyth is offline Quote

Old 12-30-2018, 07:09 PM #3
skunkfunk

skunkfunk is a jewel in the roughskunkfunk is a jewel in the roughskunkfunk is a jewel in the roughskunkfunk is a jewel in the roughskunkfunk is a jewel in the roughskunkfunk is a jewel in the rough
Nice one, interesting to see the outcome...
skunkfunk is offline Quote

Old 12-31-2018, 05:28 AM #4
J-Icky

J-Icky is a jewel in the roughJ-Icky is a jewel in the roughJ-Icky is a jewel in the roughJ-Icky is a jewel in the roughJ-Icky is a jewel in the roughJ-Icky is a jewel in the rough
Ok as promised the chemical in Florel is Ethephon and turns into ethylene gas which is the hormone the plant uses to signal female growth.

As for an update, wel things arenít looking too promising for this method. Plants still have droopy leaves but continue the usual stretch of wary flower. They are also still putting out pollen sacs and producing new ones.

At this point I am debating whether I should just continue as planned or if I should continue as usual with one and change the other to foliar as a control to make sure The bottle of Florel I have hasnít gone bad.
My only problem with changing over one is that Iím not completely sure what a proper foliar dose would be as Skunkman Sam used a more concentrated product so his dosage per gallon would be different than what I would use with florel.
J-Icky is offline Quote

Old 12-31-2018, 05:43 AM #5
J-Icky

Not the best with numbers, but after some quick math based on the concentration Sam the Skunkman used compared to what I have and him saying he would try a higher rate if he did try it again I could use 1-2oz a liter, not gallon. If I were to use it at the rate he did when he showed his initial results it would be 15ml to a liter.

So my dosage of 2oz a gallon for a soil drench would be on the low end of the dosage scale. That may be why I’m not seeing anything other than a shocked plant. But he had also said his clones had initially started to make pollen sacs before it turned.

So with my quick math and rereading Sam S posts I think I’ll just stick with my original plan. If I see nothing changing or even slight signs of change then I’ll take one and instead of foliar I’ll use a cotton swab to apply it directly and precisely where it needs to go to avoid doing any more damage that has already been done lol

Edit:
For anyone that is interested in using Florel or Ethephon to turn a male female you should know that you want to make your mixture acidic. Something in the range of 4.0-4.5 for it to be most effective. Any higher of a PH and it makes the Ethephon less effective and less stable. Yes the whole point is for it turn to ethylene gas but having this happen too fast will not allow it to be absorbed by the plant.

Last edited by J-Icky; 12-31-2018 at 06:17 AM..
J-Icky is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-31-2018, 05:55 AM #6
Douglas.Curtis

Douglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant future
I'll watch. The plan is to make some seeds, yes?
Douglas.Curtis is online now Quote

Old 12-31-2018, 09:56 AM #7
Elmer Bud
Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore

Elmer Bud has a reputation beyond reputeElmer Bud has a reputation beyond reputeElmer Bud has a reputation beyond reputeElmer Bud has a reputation beyond reputeElmer Bud has a reputation beyond reputeElmer Bud has a reputation beyond reputeElmer Bud has a reputation beyond reputeElmer Bud has a reputation beyond reputeElmer Bud has a reputation beyond reputeElmer Bud has a reputation beyond reputeElmer Bud has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Icky View Post
So there is very limited info on reversing males to females using Florel, not sure of the actual chemical Iíll update with that later. There is also no info on its use as a soil drench on cannabis.

So long story short I got 2 males and rather than just cutting them Iíve decided to try an experiment while I wait for some other seeds to sprout and veg a little. Spraying Florel can be tricky according to the limited info as it will kill the leaves it contacts and should only be sprayed on the nodes where flowers form. I figured worst case I kill the 2 males I was gonna toss anyway, best c see I find and easier that more could use to turn males females to see their traits as breeding tools.

So since there is no real dosage info, even for foliar sprays I went with a middle dose according to the bottle. I used 2 oz of Florel to a gallon of water and watered it into the soil. This was on the 26th. The next day all the leaves were dropping but otherwise look fine.

Today I watered with normal nutrients and will see how they look tomorrow.

So for those still with me my plan is to water with the Florel once a week at 2oz a gal unless I see problems, then I will drop down to 1.5 or 1 oz a gal. I will continue this until I see signs of female flowers or until the plants die. If the plants are still alive but not changing after 3 weeks I will reevaluate things at that time. If the plants have just continued to grow as Normal and have continued to put out male flowers I will call it failure and chop the plants and call it a lesson learned. If the plants are still alive, not putting out female flowers but not putting out new male sacs then I may try upping the dose for a few weeks and see what happens.

Like I said this is just an experiment simply because I have the plants and until the new seeds pop and grow big enough I have nothing else to put into the space. It may be a massive waste of time and chemicals and utilities but this is just a hobby for me so there is no real ďlossĒ or whatever commercial growers would consider it. My hope is that it works or at least shows positive signs to work with in the future and eventually future hopeful breeders will have an easier, less guest, way of seeing what a male has to offer and gets them away from the current trend of reversing the latest clone only and chucking its pollen on another clone only and calling it breeding.

Hope you all enjoy, unfortunately there will be no pics or very limited ones as I live in a not so friendly place but I will be happy to answer any questions I can and even hope others who may have tried something similar can offer me some advice.
G `day J

A buddy of mine reversed a male using a cup with banana peels !

There is a thread here called reversing males to test smoking ?
Skunk Man thang .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-31-2018, 08:49 PM #8
J-Icky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas.Curtis View Post
I'll watch. The plan is to make some seeds, yes?
No, at this time I don’t plan on making seeds, just to see if Florel will work to reverse as a soil drench rather than a foliar. It’s been established that the foliar will reverse the male but you need to be careful spraying only the nodes as the chemical will damage and most likely kill any leaves it contacts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmer Bud View Post
G `day J

A buddy of mine reversed a male using a cup with banana peels !

There is a thread here called reversing males to test smoking ?
Skunk Man thang .

Thanks for sharin

EB .
Yeah the Skunkman thread is my starting point for this thread. Sadly though that thread offers very little info on what dosages to use and what info is there is for another, more concentrated product.

I’ve heard of the banana peels but I already have enough issues with fungus gnats, adding a cup of decaying banana peels would turn a minor annoyance into a major issue real fast.
J-Icky is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:05 AM #9
J-Icky

Just watered in the second dose of Florel, still at 2 oz/gal. The plants have still been producing pollen sacs although I have yet to see any signs of pollen. Even the more mature looking sacs that I have plucked donít seem to be producing any actual pollen.
But I donít want to say for a fact that the first dose seems to have sterilized the plants. I will wait to see what effects the second dose has. After the way the first dose made the leaves drop and they havenít bounced back Iím honestly expecting the second dose to kill the plants. Again Iím hoping Iím wrong but even without the hormone, watering in anything at a ph of 4.0-4.5 isnít gonna be very good for the plant.

I will update in a couple days to let everyone know what effects, if any the second dose has had.
J-Icky is offline Quote

Old 01-03-2019, 07:44 AM #10
redlaser

redlaser has a brilliant futureredlaser has a brilliant futureredlaser has a brilliant futureredlaser has a brilliant futureredlaser has a brilliant futureredlaser has a brilliant futureredlaser has a brilliant futureredlaser has a brilliant futureredlaser has a brilliant futureredlaser has a brilliant futureredlaser has a brilliant future
Iíve never tried to reverse a plant with Florel but have used it working at greenhouses and tree care companyís

We used it to promote branching with different plants starting at 250 ppm -4-500 ppm range.

Sprayed many sweet gum trees in early spring to prevent fruit set, couple times, a week apart.
The only soil application Iíve seen is for reducing plant height in spring flowering bulbs.
redlaser is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.