Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > The Library > Happiness is..... a good book

Thread Title Search
Happiness is..... a good book Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-08-2016, 03:33 AM #81
geneva_sativa

geneva_sativa has a brilliant futuregeneva_sativa has a brilliant futuregeneva_sativa has a brilliant futuregeneva_sativa has a brilliant futuregeneva_sativa has a brilliant futuregeneva_sativa has a brilliant futuregeneva_sativa has a brilliant futuregeneva_sativa has a brilliant futuregeneva_sativa has a brilliant futuregeneva_sativa has a brilliant futuregeneva_sativa has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by _tessarecting View Post
I can't ever stop reading I'm right up there with you DickAnubis in frequency.
My favorite so far this year: The Magus by John Fowles

Light in August by William Faulkner
Shadow country - Peter Mathiesson
^good southern US fiction

The snow leopard - Peter Mathiesson - loved this one so much I read it twice. Can't recommend it enough. The quote by Carl Jung sent shivers up my spine...head exploded and all that. The descriptions of the sherpas and porters I try to remember daily.

I love Burroughs as a writer the cut up method is fun to read and write with. Sometimes there's just no other way to describe it. I read Nova Express recently and think this one is my favorite of his. Remember I was carbon dioxide, meester william...
Read the Snow Leopard in high school and just re read it again 2 years ago.

That book is fantastic. . . feels like you are with him every step. A masterpiece. Such vivid feeling from his words.

I will have to check into his fiction, and the Magus.

Last edited by geneva_sativa; 09-08-2016 at 03:51 AM..
geneva_sativa is offline Quote

Old 09-08-2016, 03:48 AM #82
geneva_sativa

geneva_sativa has a brilliant futuregeneva_sativa has a brilliant futuregeneva_sativa has a brilliant futuregeneva_sativa has a brilliant futuregeneva_sativa has a brilliant futuregeneva_sativa has a brilliant futuregeneva_sativa has a brilliant futuregeneva_sativa has a brilliant futuregeneva_sativa has a brilliant futuregeneva_sativa has a brilliant futuregeneva_sativa has a brilliant future
Goatwalking by Jim Corbett was another one that I have enjoyed and keep in my collection.

You can find a copy in a bigger used bookstore or online, cause it been outta print for a long while.

He passed a while ago, but Jim was a Quaker goatherd that founded the Sanctuary movement, shepherding people safely through the Sonoran desert, who were fleeing the U.S. sponsored genocides in Central America in early 80's.

Quirky and amazing book. Part goat husbandry, philosophy, and the story of an underground railroad through the desert.
geneva_sativa is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-08-2016, 11:18 PM #83
Bongo Fury

Bongo Fury is a jewel in the roughBongo Fury is a jewel in the roughBongo Fury is a jewel in the roughBongo Fury is a jewel in the roughBongo Fury is a jewel in the roughBongo Fury is a jewel in the rough
Foundation's Edge by Isaac Asimov.
It's what we in the 70's called a tripbook , and this is a long way trip...
Bongo Fury is offline Quote

Old 09-08-2016, 11:35 PM #84
Bongo Fury

Bongo Fury is a jewel in the roughBongo Fury is a jewel in the roughBongo Fury is a jewel in the roughBongo Fury is a jewel in the roughBongo Fury is a jewel in the roughBongo Fury is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyat View Post
siddartha by herman hesse..... the teachings of don juan by carlos castenada( whole series )... jesus lived in india by? meetings with remarkable men by gurdjieff

wizard of earthsea by ursula le guin
The teaching of don Juan is a book that really changed my life when I was 20 . I began to think that our way of see the world is not the only one, and how natives see it. I began to think like animal do ( in a positive way ) and not to take all as wellknown. People think I' m a bothanic when I show them the datura plant and tell them it's properties. Me and some friends also did grow some Peyote , buyed in Croatia , with bad results...

Old 09-08-2016, 11:51 PM #85
Bongo Fury

Any of you guys likes comics too ? What about "The Incal" by Moebius / Jodorowsky . A lot of people here likes SF , you must have read the Incal !
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Incal

Old 09-09-2016, 04:17 AM #86
Green Squall

Green Squall is a survivorGreen Squall is a survivorGreen Squall is a survivorGreen Squall is a survivorGreen Squall is a survivorGreen Squall is a survivorGreen Squall is a survivorGreen Squall is a survivorGreen Squall is a survivorGreen Squall is a survivorGreen Squall is a survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by _tessarecting View Post
I can't ever stop reading I'm right up there with you DickAnubis in frequency.
My favorite so far this year: The Magus by John Fowles

Light in August by William Faulkner
Shadow country - Peter Mathiesson
^good southern US fiction

The snow leopard - Peter Mathiesson - loved this one so much I read it twice. Can't recommend it enough. The quote by Carl Jung sent shivers up my spine...head exploded and all that. The descriptions of the sherpas and porters I try to remember daily.

I love Burroughs as a writer the cut up method is fun to read and write with. Sometimes there's just no other way to describe it. I read Nova Express recently and think this one is my favorite of his. Remember I was carbon dioxide, meester william...
I read The Snow Leopard many years ago. I seem to remember someone in the book who would dry joints with hash oil on their clothes line lol.

I really love the Aubrey-Maturin series. My favorite books of all time.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aubrey...Maturin_series
Green Squall is offline Quote

Old 09-09-2016, 08:41 AM #87
furrywall11

furrywall11 is a jewel in the roughfurrywall11 is a jewel in the roughfurrywall11 is a jewel in the roughfurrywall11 is a jewel in the roughfurrywall11 is a jewel in the roughfurrywall11 is a jewel in the roughfurrywall11 is a jewel in the roughfurrywall11 is a jewel in the rough
That's so funny I was just talking to someone about new wave music and Laurie Anderson came up. I was born in '79 so my mom was the one who listened to it but, she left an impression and I picked her up again in my late teens... she's completely original. Love her stuff. "This is the captain speaking...put your hands on your hips...put your hips on your hands.." lol..

If someone hasn't already mentioned it, and even so it deserves mentioning again, anything and everything by Tom Robbin's is the bomb. Check out Still Life with Woodpecker..Another Roadside Attraction...Jitterbug Perfume. These are best to read yourself--not on audiobook.

A lot of people have recommended "How to win friends and..." so I finally went on Amazon and picked it up...we'll see.

And...books that changed my life: anything by TR, Robert Anton Wilson, Christopher S. Hyatt, Alan Watts. If you really want to go down the rabbit hole pick up Undoing yourself with Energized Meditation and other devices and follow the treasure map.
furrywall11 is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-30-2016, 11:12 PM #88
Green Squall

Green Squall is a survivorGreen Squall is a survivorGreen Squall is a survivorGreen Squall is a survivorGreen Squall is a survivorGreen Squall is a survivorGreen Squall is a survivorGreen Squall is a survivorGreen Squall is a survivorGreen Squall is a survivorGreen Squall is a survivor
Underworld Of The East: The Long Lost Classic Of Drug Literature.

"This is the remarkable story of James Lee who, starting in 1895, spent 20 years pursuing all the pleasures and dangers that the Far East had to offer. A twilight world of ports, red light districts, drug dens and secret chambers of vice from Aden to Kyoto."

This book is nuts. He's the HST of his time!

Green Squall is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-13-2016, 04:52 AM #89
Katsu

Katsu is just really niceKatsu is just really niceKatsu is just really niceKatsu is just really niceKatsu is just really niceKatsu is just really niceKatsu is just really niceKatsu is just really niceKatsu is just really nice
George RR Martin
Robert Jordan
Joe Abercrombie
Brandon Sanderson
Patrick Rothfuss
Robert McCammon
Harlan Coben
Douglas Preston/Lincoln Child
Michael Connelly
Lee Child
Brad Thor
Carl Hiaasen
Tim Dorsey
Jim Butcher
Robin Hobb
Michael Crichton
James Rollins
Christopher Moore

Some of my favorites...

Think before you speak, then think again.
Give freely without expecting anything in return.
My Kush can beat up your Kush
Katsu is offline Quote

Old 10-13-2016, 05:04 AM #90
_tessarecting

_tessarecting has a brilliant future_tessarecting has a brilliant future_tessarecting has a brilliant future_tessarecting has a brilliant future_tessarecting has a brilliant future_tessarecting has a brilliant future_tessarecting has a brilliant future_tessarecting has a brilliant future_tessarecting has a brilliant future_tessarecting has a brilliant future_tessarecting has a brilliant future
In the realm of hungry ghosts by Gabor Maté