Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Concentrates > Got a question about butane--

Thread Title Search
Got a question about butane-- Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-01-2013, 08:31 PM #1
kmk420kali
Freedom Fighter

kmk420kali has a brilliant futurekmk420kali has a brilliant futurekmk420kali has a brilliant futurekmk420kali has a brilliant futurekmk420kali has a brilliant futurekmk420kali has a brilliant futurekmk420kali has a brilliant futurekmk420kali has a brilliant futurekmk420kali has a brilliant futurekmk420kali has a brilliant futurekmk420kali has a brilliant future
Got a question about butane--

Ok, I will risk looking like an idiot, but I was wondering about residual butane--
Ppl keep talking about underpurged stuff, I'm not talking runny bullshit...but good looking taffy, or wax...that MAY have some minuscule amount left in it--
My question being, when you take your dab, that shit is burning VERY hot....does this not burn off any residual butane, and seeing as the byproduct of butane is simply co2 and h2o...how is it harmful??
I'm sure there will be some heated discussions about this, but I am hoping for some of you "scientific mentors" to clear this up--

My GH at the pad-- https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread....=1#post4996785
kmk420kali is offline Quote

Click to shop for Extractors and Hardware
Old 01-01-2013, 08:45 PM #2
vertigo0007

vertigo0007 is a jewel in the roughvertigo0007 is a jewel in the roughvertigo0007 is a jewel in the roughvertigo0007 is a jewel in the roughvertigo0007 is a jewel in the roughvertigo0007 is a jewel in the roughvertigo0007 is a jewel in the roughvertigo0007 is a jewel in the rough
According to the hightimes cup doctors panel, residual butane is of no concern at all. I disagree, but thats the claim. According to them, its concentrations of products that may have been sprayed or used on the plants that are, accordimg to them, our only concern. Its amazing what a hightimes doctor will tell you. Kinda like the "SMOKING cannabis cures cancer" lie.
Adrenalin shoots your nerves to the sky Everyone knows this town is gonna blow And it's all gonna blow right now Now you can smash all the windows that you want All you really need are some friends and a rock Throwing a brick never felt so damn good Smash more glass. Scream with a laugh. And wallow with the crowds Watch them kicking peoples' ass But you get to the place Where the real slavedrivers live. It's walled off by the riot squad
Aiming guns right at your head
So you turn right around And play right into their hands And set your own neighbourhood Burning to the ground instead Get your kicks in quick They're callin' the national guard Now could be your only chance To torch a police car Climb the roof, kick the siren in And jump and yelp for joy Quickly-dive back in the crowd Slip away, now don't get caught
vertigo0007 is offline Quote

Old 01-01-2013, 10:36 PM #3
Kushed_

Kushed_ has a spectacular aura aboutKushed_ has a spectacular aura aboutKushed_ has a spectacular aura aboutKushed_ has a spectacular aura aboutKushed_ has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmk420kali View Post
My question being, when you take your dab, that shit is burning VERY hot....does this not burn off any residual butane, and seeing as the byproduct of butane is simply co2 and h2o...how is it harmful??
I think you get more from a bic lighter in one stroke of the flint, than you would get dabbing good product all day.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:56 PM #4
Gray Wolf
A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.

Gray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant future
Quote:
Ok, I will risk looking like an idiot, but I was wondering about residual butane--
Ppl keep talking about underpurged stuff, I'm not talking runny bullshit...but good looking taffy, or wax...that MAY have some minuscule amount left in it--
I'm sure there will be some heated discussions about this, but I am hoping for some of you "scientific mentors" to clear this up--
If you are dabbing at the correct temperature, the residual butane goes off as butane. It is only when you get it hot enough to oxidize that it breaks down into CO2 and water vapor.

Butane is just carbon and hydrogen, so it is of low toxity, and the MSDS gives the following:

ACGIH TLV (United States, 2/2010).
TWA: 1000 ppm 8 hour(s).
NIOSH REL (United States, 6/2009).
TWA: 1900 mg/m³ 10 hour(s).
TWA: 800 ppm 10 hour(s).
OSHA PEL 1989 (United States, 3/1989).
TWA: 1900 mg/m³ 8 hour(s).
TWA: 800 ppm 8 hour(s).

It is a simple asphixiant and is not a known carcinogen, mutgagen, or teratogen. The above levels required to be of concern, clearly demonstrate that the residuals likely found in a BHO are not toxic, but more of a nuisance from a taste and smell standpoint.

Even the taste and smell profile is low enough that they use butane as a propellent in some food containers.

Believing is seeing and ignorance is bliss until it bites you in the ass!

Fervor is the weapon of the impotent. The harder the sell, the poorer the product.

Alas, my ignorance abounds; the more I've learned, the less I know that I know..........

Thou shalt seek and respect the opinions of operators, even unto the third helper, for theirs is a wisdom unknown to technicrats.

Wise men learn more from fools, than fools from wise men.

In my dotage I finally discovered that the secret to putting on pants both legs at a time is sitting down.
Gray Wolf is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:13 PM #5
teemu shalanie
WeeDGamE StannisBaratheoN

teemu shalanie is a name known to allteemu shalanie is a name known to allteemu shalanie is a name known to allteemu shalanie is a name known to allteemu shalanie is a name known to allteemu shalanie is a name known to allteemu shalanie is a name known to allteemu shalanie is a name known to allteemu shalanie is a name known to allteemu shalanie is a name known to allteemu shalanie is a name known to all
good point GW never though of those , used in food propellent....
so is butane purged IYO the safest solvent to use for vapourizing dabs....
Im planning on taking it to the next level by winterizing with 190 proof everclear,once I can source some,....
TS
teemu shalanie is offline Quote

Old 01-02-2013, 01:29 PM #6
Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by teemu shalanie View Post
good point GW never though of those , used in food propellent....
so is butane purged IYO the safest solvent to use for vapourizing dabs....
Im planning on taking it to the next level by winterizing with 190 proof everclear,once I can source some,....
TS
IMO, purged butane is safe to use and one of the easiest to make a pristine extraction with, especially in conjuntion with ethanol winterization.

Hexane makes a prettier extraction with less attention to detail, but is time consuming to properly purge and more expensive.

Fervor is the weapon of the impotent. The harder the sell, the poorer the product.

Alas, my ignorance abounds; the more I've learned, the less I know that I know..........

Thou shalt seek and respect the opinions of operators, even unto the third helper, for theirs is a wisdom unknown to technicrats.

In my dotage I finally discovered that the secret to putting on pants both legs at a time is sitting down.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:52 PM #7
kmk420kali
Freedom Fighter

kmk420kali has a brilliant futurekmk420kali has a brilliant futurekmk420kali has a brilliant futurekmk420kali has a brilliant futurekmk420kali has a brilliant futurekmk420kali has a brilliant futurekmk420kali has a brilliant futurekmk420kali has a brilliant futurekmk420kali has a brilliant futurekmk420kali has a brilliant futurekmk420kali has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Wolf View Post
If you are dabbing at the correct temperature, the residual butane goes off as butane. It is only when you get it hot enough to oxidize that it breaks down into CO2 and water vapor.
Firstly, thank you for your clear and concise answers--

What would be the proper temps for dabs?? Haha...I heat my nail up red hot with my torch (Map gas)...I had never considered there being a "too hot"--

My GH at the pad-- https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread....=1#post4996785
kmk420kali is offline Quote

Old 01-03-2013, 12:29 PM #8
Gray Wolf

Quote:
Firstly, thank you for your clear and concise answers--

What would be the proper temps for dabs?? Haha...I heat my nail up red hot with my torch (Map gas)...I had never considered there being a "too hot"--
I heat mine until it is red, and then let it cool just below red. It won't ignite at that temperature.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:31 PM #9
Hashmasta-Kut
honey oil addict

Hashmasta-Kut has much to be proud ofHashmasta-Kut has much to be proud ofHashmasta-Kut has much to be proud ofHashmasta-Kut has much to be proud ofHashmasta-Kut has much to be proud ofHashmasta-Kut has much to be proud ofHashmasta-Kut has much to be proud ofHashmasta-Kut has much to be proud ofHashmasta-Kut has much to be proud ofHashmasta-Kut has much to be proud ofHashmasta-Kut has much to be proud of
if one has a smaller to medium sized dab a dabbing metal can be allowed to cool for quite a bit after redness has vanished. if you havent tried dabbing a bit cooler, try it till you find the edge. cooler dabs are much smoother.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:43 PM #10
Gray Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashmasta-Kut View Post
if one has a smaller to medium sized dab a dabbing metal can be allowed to cool for quite a bit after redness has vanished. if you havent tried dabbing a bit cooler, try it till you find the edge. cooler dabs are much smoother.
The edge is when you experience pooling, in addition to vaporization.