Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Growing in Coco Coir > a guide to COCO and Fungus Gnats (little black flies)

Thread Title Search
a guide to COCO and Fungus Gnats (little black flies) Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-07-2018, 10:38 AM #61
Weezard
Hawaiian Inebriatti

Weezard is a survivorWeezard is a survivorWeezard is a survivorWeezard is a survivorWeezard is a survivorWeezard is a survivorWeezard is a survivorWeezard is a survivorWeezard is a survivorWeezard is a survivorWeezard is a survivor
Dryer sheet on the air intake is good. But using fresh dryer sheets as a soil cover eliminates F.G.s completely. They used to drive me mad. Covered my soil surfaces and put some BT in my rain barrels.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8705.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	478944

Got my sticky traps out but have not caught any F.G.s for 4 years now They are repelled by the surfactants in the sheets not by the perfume, so get the unscented.
The barrier also breaks the lifecycles of thrips and root aphids.
Try it. They'rew cheap. You will be pleased.
Sadly, they do nothing for mites.

I have meat eating ants that patrol my plants to handle them buggahs.

Aloha,
Weeze

"Plants do things for a reason, they don't just decide one day to get root rot or act funny." -Weedhound
R.I.P

A prudent question is one-half of wisdom. -Francis Bacon

A wise man is superior to any insults which can be put upon him, and the best reply to unseemly behavior is patience and moderation. -Moliere

You're behaving as if there is no hope. Someone musta told you you were hopeless and you believed them! That's it, isn't it? What you believe about yrself rests on a pile of someone else's shit! - Teddybrae
Weezard is offline Quote

Old 12-15-2018, 02:24 PM #62
airdog420

airdog420 is on a distinguished road
I use Og biowar in my Repertoire. Plants love it bugs don't..
airdog420 is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-17-2018, 01:41 AM #63
soil margin

soil margin is a name known to allsoil margin is a name known to allsoil margin is a name known to allsoil margin is a name known to allsoil margin is a name known to allsoil margin is a name known to allsoil margin is a name known to allsoil margin is a name known to allsoil margin is a name known to allsoil margin is a name known to allsoil margin is a name known to all
Dryer sheets are nasty stuff frankly. Not a horrible idea but really poorly executed. Really don't want those types of chemicals anywhere near the bud that I'm going to be smoking and/or eating. A thick layer of sand as mulch should do the trick equally well without leaving any unhealthy residue.
soil margin is online now Quote

Old 12-30-2018, 05:51 AM #64
BongFu

BongFu will become famous soon enoughBongFu will become famous soon enoughBongFu will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketgirl View Post
Not sure if someone already posted this link to the relevant manic botanix article:

https://web.archive.org/web/20160602114456/https://manicbotanix.com/fungus-gnats-in-coco-coir/

(I posted the wayback machine cache since this site seems to be down often)

TLDR: The article found best results with Spinosad over Gnatrol, but doesn't elabortate on the reasoning for the ineffectiveness of bti in trials. I like this info though because though there is some amount of exception and room for opinion, it's unusally well-sourced compared to the anecedotal evidence and wives-tales suggested elsewhere.

I have followed this article and have been trying Spinosad with some success but it can't prevent them from coming back. I mix Montery at 55ml/g and apply once during dark cycle (I don't bother rinsing it out, just continue with normal feeding after), then again in 5-7days later, the idea being to kill larvae then kill any more larvae from the fliers that were left. I use yellow sticky sheets to monitor FG levels to measure effectiveness. I also filter my intake air ducting ith dryer sheets.

God I hate those little black fuckers.

Anyone else experimented with Spinosad?

This is one of my favourite grow sites. I haven't really ever noticed it down when I have visited. The person (people?) behind it has a new site up where all the material can be found (the manic botanix site forwards to it). Like you said the content is well sourced and heavily referenced to academic papers so its science vs pseudo science and questionable "old wives tales":-) Spinosad works really well but I found doubling the dose recommended to about 150 ppm works even better. Completely knocks them out. Just one drenching during the crop cycle. And there is academic references they link to re spinosad being really efficient for killing gnat larvae.. Link to the online article is here https://medteknutrients.com.au/fungu...-in-coco-coir/
BongFu is offline Quote

Old 12-30-2018, 04:12 PM #65
Mikell
Dipshit Know-Nothing

Mikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by soil margin View Post
Dryer sheets are nasty stuff frankly. Not a horrible idea but really poorly executed. Really don't want those types of chemicals anywhere near the bud that I'm going to be smoking and/or eating. A thick layer of sand as mulch should do the trick equally well without leaving any unhealthy residue.
Mmm he suggested the unscented and surfactants are common enough.

Is there a particular chemical residue you're concerned about? Uptake by a plant typically needs to be engineered or worked towards.
Mikell is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-05-2019, 01:55 AM #66
bucketgirl

bucketgirl will become famous soon enoughbucketgirl will become famous soon enough
@Weezard

I must say that I question the dryer sheets on top and it will be a bit of a pain to secure them down with the fans blowing them all over, but it'd be bogus to slam it before I try it. I'll give it a whirl...I'll try putting a loose layer over my drip rings next cycle. I'll leave some off and compare. Thanks for the advice!

As for the negative "chemical-y" nature of the dryer sheets, I can't comment intelligently. While I'm experimenting, I'll use the tamest, most unscented sheets I can find and won't be letting my nutrient solution pass through them on the way to the coco. That's good enough for me...I doubt there's any harm. If I'm wrong, bon voyage!

@Bongfu

Good call, I will try the extra spinosad blast as well and see how that fares. Thanks for the tip, glad we enjoy the same late night reading material. Short of reinventing the wheel, you gotta trust somebody. Confirming that the author of what you're reading has a fully functioning brain seems like a good first step. Always more to learn!
bucketgirl is offline Quote

Old 01-05-2019, 02:33 AM #67
Weezard
Hawaiian Inebriatti

Weezard is a survivorWeezard is a survivorWeezard is a survivorWeezard is a survivorWeezard is a survivorWeezard is a survivorWeezard is a survivorWeezard is a survivorWeezard is a survivorWeezard is a survivorWeezard is a survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by soil margin View Post

You may want to research that.

The surfactant is a wax that sublimes when heated. It does so quite slowly at room temperatures and these waxes are non toxic.

In fact there are crazies that eat a box of sheets a day with no apparent harm.

(And no internal "static cling" either.)

I can taste Spinosad and will not spray it on my plants.

But I will add that, and/or B.T. to my irrigation water.

At least I did 5 years ago.

Now, I need nothing but the dryer sheets, outdoors, in the tropics.

Aloha,
Weeze

"Plants do things for a reason, they don't just decide one day to get root rot or act funny." -Weedhound
R.I.P

A prudent question is one-half of wisdom. -Francis Bacon

A wise man is superior to any insults which can be put upon him, and the best reply to unseemly behavior is patience and moderation. -Moliere

You're behaving as if there is no hope. Someone musta told you you were hopeless and you believed them! That's it, isn't it? What you believe about yrself rests on a pile of someone else's shit! - Teddybrae
Weezard is offline Quote

Old 01-05-2019, 11:08 PM #68
BongFu

BongFu will become famous soon enoughBongFu will become famous soon enoughBongFu will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezard View Post
You may want to research that.

The surfactant is a wax that sublimes when heated. It does so quite slowly at room temperatures and these waxes are non toxic.

In fact there are crazies that eat a box of sheets a day with no apparent harm.

(And no internal "static cling" either.)

I can taste Spinosad and will not spray it on my plants.

But I will add that, and/or B.T. to my irrigation water.

At least I did 5 years ago.

Now, I need nothing but the dryer sheets, outdoors, in the tropics.

Aloha,
Weeze

Spinosad should be used as a drench and not sprayed. If you kill the larvae you wipe out the lifecycle. Adults flying around after a drenching aren't an issue and adults do zero damage to plants other than lay hundreds of eggs which become root eating larvae. Spinosad in organic substrates such as coco peat isn't uptaken at all by the plant so there can be no Spinosad "taste".
BongFu is offline Quote

Old 01-05-2019, 11:26 PM #69
BongFu

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketgirl View Post
@Weezard

I must say that I question the dryer sheets on top and it will be a bit of a pain to secure them down with the fans blowing them all over, but it'd be bogus to slam it before I try it. I'll give it a whirl...I'll try putting a loose layer over my drip rings next cycle. I'll leave some off and compare. Thanks for the advice!

As for the negative "chemical-y" nature of the dryer sheets, I can't comment intelligently. While I'm experimenting, I'll use the tamest, most unscented sheets I can find and won't be letting my nutrient solution pass through them on the way to the coco. That's good enough for me...I doubt there's any harm. If I'm wrong, bon voyage!

@Bongfu

Good call, I will try the extra spinosad blast as well and see how that fares. Thanks for the tip, glad we enjoy the same late night reading material. Short of reinventing the wheel, you gotta trust somebody. Confirming that the author of what you're reading has a fully functioning brain seems like a good first step. Always more to learn!

Some good information on Bounce dryer sheets and fungus gnats @ https://gpnmag.com/article/repelling...-dryer-sheets/

Actives are All varieties of Bounce Dryer Sheets include the following ingredients: Dipalmethyl Hydroxyethylammoinum Methosulfate, a Fatty Acid, a Polyester Substrate and Clay, according to the product safety information provided by the manufacturer. Many varieties also contain fragrances, which give the products scent

There is no known toxicity issues with Dipalmethyl Hydroxyethylammoinum Methosulfate although I have to say as soon as I hear methyl the alarm bells ring. Still if they are on top of the substrate and not being irrigated over (i.e. Dipalmethyl Hydroxyethylammoinum Methosulfate is not finding its way into the root zone) why would any issue exist???
BongFu is offline Quote

Old 01-05-2019, 11:38 PM #70
aridbud
automeister

aridbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond repute
Those fungus gnats are maddening....I''ll use 30% coco coir in organic soil and use a higher quality coco. Just like 'organic soil' ....some are better than others. Do your research!

Hyponex is the WORST as far as potting mix.....hard to get rid of those pesky gnats. Grrr!
John Harrigan
Instant gratification takes too long.
Carrie Fisher - RIP.
afterthought autos
We are passionate breeders growing organically in the USA and offer 27 autoflowering strains, 9 photoperiods in our decades of breeding expertise. afterthought autos - we are unique quality cannabis autoflower breeders for medical conditions and recreational stimulus. Auto breeding 13 years, and running strong!

https://www.icmag.com/ic/forumdisplay.php?f=65770
aridbud is offline Quote