Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Marijuana Strains and Breeding > Landraces > American landrace?

Thread Title Search
American landrace? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-09-2014, 10:52 PM #21
komboloi

komboloi has a spectacular aura aboutkomboloi has a spectacular aura aboutkomboloi has a spectacular aura aboutkomboloi has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldchuck View Post
Farmers deal with pollination issues every day. Drug weed farmers need to learn to do it too.

Hemp will be the major crop in terms of acres planted. It won't take many acres of drug weed to fill the recreational and medical demand.

I'm running a little experiment this summer to explore just how difficult an issue controlling hemp pollen really is.
Your analogy to other farmers is flawed.

Farmers of other crops generally don't care what pollinates their crops, because they are selling the fruit, which either has seeds anyway or is a seedless cultivar that won't grow seeds even if pollinated. Either that, or they are selling the leaves/stalks/roots, in which case pollination is also irrelevant. With drug cannabis, we very much care that NOTHING pollinates our crop because all we want is unpollinated fruit. Unless we are breeding, in which case we isolate the females to ensure we know where the pollen came from.

In that sense, we are like the breeders of seed for other crops. And those people have very strict protocols about how far different cultivars are from each other to make sure they know where the pollen comes from. And for the big commercial crops (e.g., wheat, soybeans, corn), the seeds produced go through a strict testing and certification program (usually by the local state agricultural university) to ensure that their seed is unsullied by random unknown pollen.

In other words, farmers of other crops either (a) don't care if their plants are pollinated by junk; or (b) care very much and have to take rigorous steps to control it.

If you happen to live downwind of a large commercial hemp operation, you can forget about an outdoor grow, and you'd better seal your doors and windows if you want to grow indoors.
komboloi is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:05 PM #22
Johnnyseed

Johnnyseed has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyseed has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyseed has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyseed has a spectacular aura about
That's actually a new one for me. Never knew it grew wild in N. Dakota.

Ya learn something everyday.
Johnnyseed is offline Quote

Old 07-20-2014, 10:11 PM #23
Hrpuffnkush

Hrpuffnkush has much to be proud ofHrpuffnkush has much to be proud ofHrpuffnkush has much to be proud ofHrpuffnkush has much to be proud ofHrpuffnkush has much to be proud ofHrpuffnkush has much to be proud ofHrpuffnkush has much to be proud ofHrpuffnkush has much to be proud ofHrpuffnkush has much to be proud ofHrpuffnkush has much to be proud ofHrpuffnkush has much to be proud of
Most likely hemp , hemp does have a higher CBD ratio than there psychoactive relatives , top the pant if stem is solid you have a lot of hemp in it , its its fairly hollow you most likely have a psychoactive type plant.... give um a shot ya never know

Old 07-20-2014, 10:59 PM #24
armedoldhippy

armedoldhippy is a survivorarmedoldhippy is a survivorarmedoldhippy is a survivorarmedoldhippy is a survivorarmedoldhippy is a survivorarmedoldhippy is a survivorarmedoldhippy is a survivorarmedoldhippy is a survivorarmedoldhippy is a survivorarmedoldhippy is a survivorarmedoldhippy is a survivor
native? not sure, & aint positive if it could be proven or disproven. BUT, I read an article over thirty years ago about a supposedly native strain found only in Minnesota (at that time). it allegedly was of a fairly high THC content & was supposedly used in breeding the cannabis that they now raise on the Mississippi Govt research farm. the last time I read anything about it was that it grew in such a small area of the state that it was actually was given a "protected" status somewhat similar to something with an Endangered Species designation.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:51 PM #25
thatonedude

thatonedude has a spectacular aura aboutthatonedude has a spectacular aura aboutthatonedude has a spectacular aura aboutthatonedude has a spectacular aura about
what I was trying to say, if you establish a breeding population of drug type marijuana, (not hemp) in a region in the usa. a region than has no feral hemp to interfere. would that population ever be considered a landrace? say in 50 years, 100 years?
thatonedude is offline Quote

Old 07-21-2014, 03:00 PM #26
Only Ornamental
Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist

Only Ornamental has much to be proud ofOnly Ornamental has much to be proud ofOnly Ornamental has much to be proud ofOnly Ornamental has much to be proud ofOnly Ornamental has much to be proud ofOnly Ornamental has much to be proud ofOnly Ornamental has much to be proud ofOnly Ornamental has much to be proud ofOnly Ornamental has much to be proud ofOnly Ornamental has much to be proud ofOnly Ornamental has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatonedude View Post
what I was trying to say, if you establish a breeding population of drug type marijuana, (not hemp) in a region in the usa. a region than has no feral hemp to interfere. would that population ever be considered a landrace? say in 50 years, 100 years?
Depends if you cultivate it (or at least use it for agricultural/recreational purposes) or just let it grow wild. In the former case yes but there has to be at least a tiny bit of human influence leading to a certain homogeneity so that every plant will be recognisable as part of that population. If there's zero human influence and it becomes a somewhat homogeneous population, it may be called a local form and if it's just as wild and feral as all the hemp, then it's just feral cannabis instead of feral hemp.
There's no difference between cannabis and hemp in that regard .

Please spare a 'like', a dear friend of mine could need some motivation. Thanks!

Brainer on Retainer
: Why not rent a brain by the hour?
OO now on time-sharing
Only Ornamental is offline Quote

Old 07-21-2014, 03:01 PM #27
oldchuck

oldchuck has much to be proud ofoldchuck has much to be proud ofoldchuck has much to be proud ofoldchuck has much to be proud ofoldchuck has much to be proud ofoldchuck has much to be proud ofoldchuck has much to be proud ofoldchuck has much to be proud ofoldchuck has much to be proud ofoldchuck has much to be proud ofoldchuck has much to be proud of
Yes, it probably would be so considered. Same regional micro climate, same open pollinated genetics plus time = landrace.
oldchuck is offline Quote

Old 07-21-2014, 04:01 PM #28
thatonedude

thatonedude has a spectacular aura aboutthatonedude has a spectacular aura aboutthatonedude has a spectacular aura aboutthatonedude has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Only Ornamental View Post
Depends if you cultivate it (or at least use it for agricultural/recreational purposes) or just let it grow wild. In the former case yes but there has to be at least a tiny bit of human influence leading to a certain homogeneity so that every plant will be recognisable as part of that population. If there's zero human influence and it becomes a somewhat homogeneous population, it may be called a local form and if it's just as wild and feral as all the hemp, then it's just feral cannabis instead of feral hemp.
There's no difference between cannabis and hemp in that regard .

would that be possible? say introducing a paki strain to a region in the USA and then having no human interaction for several years. could that population of cannabis retain its high tch trait? I don't see why it would be counter productive to anyone to make this happen. then instead of having to travel half way around the world for fresh genetics people couldn't just travel to say a certain area of the rockies or apilations.

Old 07-21-2014, 04:03 PM #29
thatonedude

sorry about the misspellings ind I mean thc not tch

Old 07-21-2014, 04:14 PM #30
oldchuck

oldchuck has much to be proud ofoldchuck has much to be proud ofoldchuck has much to be proud ofoldchuck has much to be proud ofoldchuck has much to be proud ofoldchuck has much to be proud ofoldchuck has much to be proud ofoldchuck has much to be proud ofoldchuck has much to be proud ofoldchuck has much to be proud ofoldchuck has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatonedude View Post
would that be possible? say introducing a paki strain to a region in the USA and then having no human interaction for several years. could that population of cannabis retain its high tch trait? I don't see why it would be counter productive to anyone to make this happen. then instead of having to travel half way around the world for fresh genetics people couldn't just travel to say a certain area of the rockies or apilations.
A Pakistani variety grown repeatedly for generations and uncultivated in the U.S. would no longer be a Pakistani landrace. It would be an American feral type not all that different than midwest ditchweed. How potent? Who knows? The cannabinoid profiles would probably be all over the map.
oldchuck is offline Quote