Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > ICMag Vendor Forums > Seedbay > Seedbay Private Breeders > Archived Breeder Forums > Head Seeds > Optimum level of humidity for curing and storage

Thread Title Search
Optimum level of humidity for curing and storage Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-26-2010, 12:37 AM #1
Grat3fulh3ad
The Voice of Reason

Grat3fulh3ad has much to be proud ofGrat3fulh3ad has much to be proud ofGrat3fulh3ad has much to be proud ofGrat3fulh3ad has much to be proud ofGrat3fulh3ad has much to be proud ofGrat3fulh3ad has much to be proud ofGrat3fulh3ad has much to be proud ofGrat3fulh3ad has much to be proud ofGrat3fulh3ad has much to be proud ofGrat3fulh3ad has much to be proud ofGrat3fulh3ad has much to be proud of
Optimum level of humidity for curing and storage

The air inside the bud curing jar should be at a relative humidity of approximately 68-74%. Generally, the flavors can best evolve in such a climate. This level of humidity supports an even burning of the flowers. At a relative humidity level of 70%, and a temperature of 64°F (18°C) the air contains approximately 10 grams of water per cubic meter of air. In such an environment, the buds should equalize to the ideal rate of humidity of 15% of its total weight.

Overly dried buds become brittle, crumble too finely, and burn too fast since their burning is not slowed down by the flower's natural humidity. The smoke can take on a harsher taste. Volatile terpenes are lost resulting in 'less flavor'.

Damp flowers, on the other hand, burn unevenly and incompletely with black ash, and can take on an unpleasant acidic flavor or musty flavor. In storage they may develop mold or rot.

In the 60-75% range buds can be stored for long periods of time without any concern. Caution is required, however, if the humidity level should exceed 80%. In this case the buds can begin to rot and mold.

Temperatures below 55F will slow curing and temperatures above 78F can allow mold to grow.

Does anyone here keep their buds in a humidor?

I like to jar mine when they're at about 25% of their harvest weight.

In the jar I let them loose about 10% of their pre-jar weight.

Jars with humidistats mounted in their lids would be nice.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. ... It happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." – Carl Sagan

"There is rebirth of character, but no transmigration of a self. Thy thought-forms reappear, but there is no egoentity transferred. The stanza uttered by a teacher is reborn in the scholar who repeats the words. Only through ignorance and delusion do men indulge in the dream that their souls are separate and self-existent entities.""Our thinking is gone, but our thoughts continue. Reasoning ceases, but knowledge remains." – Buddha

Last edited by Grat3fulh3ad; 03-28-2010 at 06:38 PM..
Grat3fulh3ad is offline Quote

11 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:24 AM #2
krushonkush

Thumbs up

Very good post H3ad. This has been overlooked by many including myself.
My last grow I dried my smoke in my flower cab and its now a brittle mess! After reading your post I now know my cabinet is great for growing but sooo bad for drying.
Have you read this thread??.....Perfect Cure

Need to work up a new dry box with a fan at a very low exchange rate and I think the
buds would keep the box at 70%~ ish relative humidity???

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:08 PM #3
cocktail frank
Ubiquitous

cocktail frank has a brilliant futurecocktail frank has a brilliant futurecocktail frank has a brilliant futurecocktail frank has a brilliant futurecocktail frank has a brilliant futurecocktail frank has a brilliant futurecocktail frank has a brilliant futurecocktail frank has a brilliant futurecocktail frank has a brilliant futurecocktail frank has a brilliant futurecocktail frank has a brilliant future
H3ad is always dropping knowledge!

fyi, if i found that my nugs got too dry, id drop a fresh fan leaf in the jar to help remoisturize.
never ever water drops tho!
water will mold out the nugs.
“Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do,
every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do.
And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish,
where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time!
But He loves you. He loves you, and He needs money! He always needs money!
He's all-powerful, all-perfect, all-knowing, and all-wise, somehow just can't handle money!”

R.I.P. George Carlin
the funniest man to ever walk god's green earth.
R.I.P. Buckeye
cocktail frank is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:19 PM #4
joeking
spiritual gangster of love

joeking will become famous soon enoughjoeking will become famous soon enough
Great thread, when cured properly, will reflect craftmanship and pride in one's work efforts. I feel that this is overlooked too often, properly dried and cured bud is the only way to get the full flavor and effect of a bud. It would be cool if someone invented a glass humidor, of some sorts. I am in the planning stages of building a small drying cabinent.

Greenhouse has a really explantive video of an in depth breakdown of the perfect conditions for drying and curing

Just because you can see it, does that make it real? Are your perceptions your own, or are they second generation programming?

joeking is offline Quote

Old 03-28-2010, 05:37 PM #5
THE PABLOS

....in my local conditions I have to dry differently dependin' on the season....I deal with high desert dry air...RH in the 20's is pretty common. Because I'm in the hills...and it freezes here all winter and spring(a killin' frost the last day of summer 2yrs ago...wiped out my egg plants and tomatos)....I heat the house with a wood burnin' stove....dry my herb by the fire in the winter....but it drys so much faster...that ya want to put it in brown bags...rolled tight...to sweat....when still moist on the insides of the flower....into the cure jars with Incense Cedar bark...sweat the jars frequently the 1st wk(leavin' the caps off fer hrs at a time).....my jig is not to dry too quick....a fine line....but over time ya get a feel fer it......I'd like to try a humidor....a have family memeber way heavy into cigars...their are similarities between weed and cigars....at least fer dry and cure....so I was ckin' out this person's humidor. I want one.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:18 PM #6
budman678
I come from the land where the oceans freeze

budman678 is a splendid one to beholdbudman678 is a splendid one to beholdbudman678 is a splendid one to beholdbudman678 is a splendid one to beholdbudman678 is a splendid one to beholdbudman678 is a splendid one to beholdbudman678 is a splendid one to beholdbudman678 is a splendid one to beholdbudman678 is a splendid one to beholdbudman678 is a splendid one to beholdbudman678 is a splendid one to behold
the caliber III hygrometers have completely taken all the guess work ou...perfectly cured nugs the first time around.

FINISHED: D-Train (white domina x qrazy train), DinaFem's Blue Widow, DNA Genetic's Connie Chung ~~grown in organic super soil~~
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=241162

FINISHED: Chemdog x C99 and Subcool's Querkle https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=229030
budman678 is offline Quote