Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Infirmary > Fungus gnats or WINGED ROOT APHIDS???

Thread Title Search
Fungus gnats or WINGED ROOT APHIDS??? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-09-2019, 08:44 AM #3711
oldbootz

oldbootz has much to be proud ofoldbootz has much to be proud ofoldbootz has much to be proud ofoldbootz has much to be proud ofoldbootz has much to be proud ofoldbootz has much to be proud ofoldbootz has much to be proud ofoldbootz has much to be proud ofoldbootz has much to be proud ofoldbootz has much to be proud ofoldbootz has much to be proud of
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
I AGREE

Not sure if this has been posted already or not. Probably the best info out there.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:50 AM #3712
moses wellfleet

moses wellfleet is a survivormoses wellfleet is a survivormoses wellfleet is a survivormoses wellfleet is a survivormoses wellfleet is a survivormoses wellfleet is a survivormoses wellfleet is a survivormoses wellfleet is a survivormoses wellfleet is a survivormoses wellfleet is a survivormoses wellfleet is a survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNW View Post
You must have a different type than what I have, because my root aphids are much more lively and cunning than any fungus gnat. Fungus gnats tend to be slow and lazy fliers.

*Looked em up and the rice root aphid is far different from my pest, and what many others seem to be dealing with. The ones I have are much more slender, quick, and seemingly even intelligent (scary little bastards they are).
Are you possibly mistaking fungus gnats for root aphids? It happens a lot, sorry if I am way off!
moses wellfleet is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:21 AM #3713
Mart

Mart is on a distinguished road
Hi People my first post also,I have had success against FG's using powdered cinnamon,a nutural product.
A good covering of this applied on to the surface of the medium and a tablespoon full in warm water added to the drip tray and left for an hour will soak in and get the larvae in the bottom of the pot.
Sticky traps and a pc fan at pot level get the rest.
Since I have improved my watering regime I am no longer bothered with them,wet/dry is the key.
Thanks.
An honour to be here.
Mart is offline Quote

Old 01-11-2019, 05:53 PM #3714
moses wellfleet

moses wellfleet is a survivormoses wellfleet is a survivormoses wellfleet is a survivormoses wellfleet is a survivormoses wellfleet is a survivormoses wellfleet is a survivormoses wellfleet is a survivormoses wellfleet is a survivormoses wellfleet is a survivormoses wellfleet is a survivormoses wellfleet is a survivor
I am dealing with rhopalosiphum rufiabdominale, rice root aphid!

I read a study about a citrus farm in Florida that had great success against rice root aphids using lecanicillium muscarium (formerly verticillium lecanii). It is an entomopathogenic fungi.

I have been using a combination of L. muscarium, B. bassiana and metarhizium. I water it into my organic soil every four days with 2ml per liter of molasses to provide a food source for the fungi.

The monitoring method I am using is to look for flyers and crawlers on the rim of the containers. If I spot any I then put fresh fan leaves out on the surface of the soil on top of the mulch layer. For some reason the crawlers gather in large numbers on the fan leaves over night.

I have been using these measures for 3 months now and have seen a drastic decrease in both flyers and crawlers. Going for total eradication. Will update in future!

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:53 PM #3715
Ktaadn

Ktaadn has a spectacular aura aboutKtaadn has a spectacular aura aboutKtaadn has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by moses wellfleet View Post
Are you possibly mistaking fungus gnats for root aphids? It happens a lot, sorry if I am way off!
No these definitely aren't fungus gnats, I've never found those to be problematic. They're root aphids but I haven't been able to identify the exact species. They don't seem to be the rice root aphid.

Update on the Biowar effectiveness - I think it acts as an aprodisiac. Just joking of course but I am seeing an explosion of fliers at the moment. Upon inspection of culled male rootballs I'm not finding any crawlers though and not seeing evidence of root damage so maybe the combo of the biowar and predators is having some positive effect.

Nematodes and beneficial fungi up next I guess.
Ktaadn is offline Quote

Old 01-16-2019, 09:34 PM #3716
moses wellfleet

Unfortunately L. Muscarium is not available in the USA it seems.

The rice root aphid is a huge problem in Asian rice paddies. Asian researchers came across L. Muscarium as a bio control for the rice root aphid!

Old 01-27-2019, 10:51 PM #3717
ion

ion has disabled reputation
green lacewings anybody?
ion is offline Quote

Old 01-31-2019, 09:23 AM #3718
moses wellfleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ion View Post
green lacewings anybody?
I am interested in green lace wing larvae as a generalist predator that would munch any pests that wandered into my grow space!

In the case of root aphids I think they would prey on anything that came to the surface but they would not be able to control the hypogeal (subterranean) population?

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:28 AM #3719
Ktaadn

Ktaadn has a spectacular aura aboutKtaadn has a spectacular aura aboutKtaadn has a spectacular aura about
It's the lacewing larvae that feed on soil pests, but I'm not sure if they disperse through the substrate or tend to hang out in the top layer. That's the problem I'm having with my predator mites, they reproduce like crazy but like to stay in the top inch or two of soil.

One thing that kept me from wanting to try the lacewings is the fact that they form cocoons. I keep picturing having to pick cocoons out of flowers and that doesn't sound fun. Not sure if it would actually be an issue or not.
Ktaadn is offline Quote