Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Infirmary > Caution when using "Hot Shot No-Pest Strips."

Thread Title Search
Caution when using "Hot Shot No-Pest Strips." Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-21-2009, 05:38 PM #41
TroubleGuy

Here's a good source of information about Dichlorvos toxicity.

It is very detailed.

https://extoxnet.orst.edu/pips/dichlorv.htm

Old 07-22-2009, 08:49 AM #42
Blue Dot

Quote:
Regulatory Status: The EPA has classified it as toxicity class I - highly toxic, because it may cause cancer and there is only a small margin of safety for other effects. Products containing dichlorvos must bear the Signal Words DANGER - POISON. Dichlorvos is a Restricted Use Pesticide (RUP) and may be purchased and used only by certified applicators.
No wonder it kills pests. lol

This stuff is bad news!

Old 07-22-2009, 09:42 AM #43
minds_I
The Emperor is not only naked but batshit crazy.

minds_I has a brilliant futureminds_I has a brilliant futureminds_I has a brilliant futureminds_I has a brilliant futureminds_I has a brilliant futureminds_I has a brilliant futureminds_I has a brilliant futureminds_I has a brilliant futureminds_I has a brilliant futureminds_I has a brilliant futureminds_I has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroubleGuy View Post
Would a carbon scrubber remove the toxic elements from air that passes through it? I'm wondering because I exhaust into another room of the house and will stop doing so if the fumes can survive a carbon filter.

Hello all,

Yes, it will, but as to how much is relative. If large enough it will remove nearly 100%

minds_I

His contempt for objective truth is the rejection of democratic accountability, an implicit demand that his supporters place undying faith in him. Because the only measure of truth he accepts is what he claims at any given moment, the power his supporters vest in him is unlimited. Sound familiar?
If we must have an enemy at the head of Government, let it be one whom we can oppose, and for whom we are not responsible, who will not involve our party in the disgrace of his foolish and bad measures.
In the United States, under our Constitution, a free press is a check on politicians of all parties. If we are to demand that other countries respect the tradition of a free press we must also practice that here at home.
Let the people know the facts, and the country will be safe.
minds_I is offline Quote

Old 07-22-2009, 10:20 AM #44
Blue Dot

Quote:
Originally Posted by minds_I View Post
Hello all,

Yes, it will, but as to how much is relative. If large enough it will remove nearly 100%

minds_I
How are you so sure of this?

Sure, carbon removes odors but dichlovous is more then just an odor.

How do you know that the carbon isn't just removing the aromatic portion of dichlorvous and not passing thru the active component?

Old 08-07-2009, 02:15 AM #45
SilverTrain09

SilverTrain09 is on a distinguished road
Well if they are harmful, it is well worth keeping them mights under. control.
SilverTrain09 is offline Quote

Old 08-11-2009, 10:55 PM #46
cantstoplooking

cantstoplooking will become famous soon enough
Are people still using these? Is it okay if your pet sleeps on the same level of the house as the "NPS"? I dont have spider mites just gnats and some flys so would It work if I just hung them for a couple days?? any more info would be great or how other people are using them.

freaking Lowes and the other big box stores don't even carry sticky fly traps or anything but these No Pest Strips.
cantstoplooking is offline Quote

Old 08-11-2009, 11:22 PM #47
xOOx
big primpin'

xOOx is a jewel in the roughxOOx is a jewel in the roughxOOx is a jewel in the roughxOOx is a jewel in the roughxOOx is a jewel in the roughxOOx is a jewel in the rough
this topic comes up every once n' a while..

i think i may have even posted this link once before...

https://www.springerlink.com/content/w67k7l26644608v7/

it's a study with dichlorvos, obviously you don't want to sit there with the strip hanging over your head if you can avoid it. dichlorvos is most dangerous to people/insects/etc when it reaches certain kill level in your system..as you can see with ventilation on, it can't even kill a mite. but when it's allowed to build up...they are dead.

if you read the above link you will realize that they use this chemical to control bugs on the food you eat.. and it has a half life of about 2 days or so...i'd say 2 weeks before harvest, take the strips out.

used with a brain, it's ok,

smoking the hot shot pest strip ... not so good.

xoox

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:04 AM #48
Budley Doright

Budley Doright has much to be proud ofBudley Doright has much to be proud ofBudley Doright has much to be proud ofBudley Doright has much to be proud ofBudley Doright has much to be proud ofBudley Doright has much to be proud ofBudley Doright has much to be proud ofBudley Doright has much to be proud ofBudley Doright has much to be proud ofBudley Doright has much to be proud ofBudley Doright has much to be proud of
Ill go farther than that...

The thread is total baloney....

Threadstarter is concerned about washing a residue from plants....

Yet his own link says this...

<<Dichlorvos does not appear to accumulate in plants, fish, or animals.>>

There was a time that this chemical could be purchased in liquid form.... probably more dangerous...

The no pest strips are a slow release method of use....

I would agree with my friend XooX....

As long as you dont smoke the yellow strip this ia a very useful method for certain bugs.....

<<It evaporates easily into the air, where it is broken down into less harmful chemicals. >>

This chemical doesnt form a film on plants it evaporates into the air.....

Just like transporation that plants do normally...

Total baloney.....
Budley Doright is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:13 AM #49
Mr.Hades
infection

Location: a position or site occupied or available for occupancy or marked by some distinguishing feature
Mr.Hades has a spectacular aura aboutMr.Hades has a spectacular aura aboutMr.Hades has a spectacular aura about
^^Hmm, you a little up-tight there buddy? Chill it...

I wasnt only concerned with "the residue" if you actually read my posts.

I was also concerned with people using them in the same household as family members, children and pets. Its obviously not supposed to be inhaled, even in small concentrations throughout a long or short period of time. I have heard of plenty of different cases the last few years where the strips were being used incorrectly and without caution. Ive heard of growers using these in their closet grows and stealth grows in the same room they sleep. And not only 1, but sometimes 2 or 3. There are plenty of reasons to "use caution" when it comes to these strips. I use them myself, but safely. Thats what this thread is about... to teach people how to use these things safely and correctly so that they can be used in an efficient manner.

So maybe you should chill it, like I said. haha

*Learning
*Teaching
*Growing

Overgrow mofos hit me up! ^_^
Mr.Hades is offline Quote

Old 08-14-2009, 12:24 AM #50
Budley Doright

Budley Doright has much to be proud ofBudley Doright has much to be proud ofBudley Doright has much to be proud ofBudley Doright has much to be proud ofBudley Doright has much to be proud ofBudley Doright has much to be proud ofBudley Doright has much to be proud ofBudley Doright has much to be proud ofBudley Doright has much to be proud ofBudley Doright has much to be proud ofBudley Doright has much to be proud of
Growers should use caution when dealing with NPS because of its toxicity to humans and animals. You should NOT use "No-Pest Strips" and other products containing Dichlorvos on flowering plants. Dichlorvos (The active chemical in No-Pest Strips) is a carcinogen and if used on your plants, it should only be used in the vegetation cycle and plants rinsed thouroughly before flowering so you dont have a chance of leaving chemical residue on your harvest. The active chemical (Dichlorvos) can be rinsed off and breaks-down in water but is dangerous insecticide and should NOT be used in living areas. (People growing in their homes with children, pets etc.)

Thats great but the vast majority of your post was made from either not reading or not understanding what you read....

Im sorry you got a little pissy about the response but IMO the drying process will get rid of all traces of the chemical without any effort by the grower.....

So maybe you should be more careful on the 'facts' you are throwing about.....
Budley Doright is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.