Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > General Gardening > Tomato growers?

Thread Title Search
Click for great deals at MB Ferts
Tomato growers? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-01-2009, 03:35 AM #21
Cracky

Beefmaster, Early Girls, Jetstar and Romas this season. Of the commercial varieties my favorite is the Floramerica, I just can't find them as hot house plants every year. I love to eat lots of Romas as they don't make me break out like the others. They are actually best for cooking sauces and salsa.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:38 AM #22
grimcreeper

grimcreeper will become famous soon enough
I grew the red brandywines last year and the flavor was good. The size of the tomatoes was top notch and there was no major disease or pest problems.

I'm growing the Cherokee purples along with the Brandywines this year to give a comparison. I started mine from seed. Anyone else start from seed?
grimcreeper is offline Quote

Old 06-01-2009, 03:49 AM #23
Me2

Me2 will become famous soon enoughMe2 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaWallace View Post
Can you take a clone from a tomato plant? ~Vince
Just take the side shoots when they are 2"-3" long and put em in a glass of water.. they`ll root inside a week. I usually grow cherry toms from seed early in the year and then clone the hell out of the best ones.
Me2 is offline Quote

Old 06-01-2009, 04:14 AM #24
barnyard

barnyard is just really nicebarnyard is just really nicebarnyard is just really nicebarnyard is just really nicebarnyard is just really nicebarnyard is just really nicebarnyard is just really nicebarnyard is just really nicebarnyard is just really nicebarnyard is just really nicebarnyard is just really nice
good point about tomato pH Wait...What?

"Researchers at Mississippi State University have found that most tomato fruits have a pH of between 4.3 and 4.6. The yellow or pink “low acid” tomatoes are not any lower in acid, but they are higher in sugar."

This year's garden includes...

"Gold Nugget" ~ a bright golden cherry, cold tolerant, delicious and one of the fastest tomatoes around.

"Super Sweet 100" ~ productive (up to 1,000 fruits on one plant!) and some say the best tasting red cherry tomato.

Have also had good luck with the early girl line and super sioux. The brandywines are delicious but require a longer growing season than my area provides.

happy cultivating!

Last edited by barnyard; 06-01-2009 at 04:18 AM.. Reason: just adding a little more to post..
barnyard is offline Quote

Old 06-01-2009, 04:39 AM #25
Weezard
Hawaiian Inebriatti

Weezard is a survivorWeezard is a survivorWeezard is a survivorWeezard is a survivorWeezard is a survivorWeezard is a survivorWeezard is a survivorWeezard is a survivorWeezard is a survivorWeezard is a survivorWeezard is a survivor
Smile Plain old, garden variety

Cherry tomatoes grow very well in 5 gallon rubbermaid tubs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tomballs.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	11724

Name:	ripe.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	11725

They are more like "plum tomatoes" bigger than your average hen's egg.

Name:	Tom1.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	11726

Name:	tomroots.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	11727

I highly recommend DWC for the tropics.

Aloha,
Weezard

"Plants do things for a reason, they don't just decide one day to get root rot or act funny." -Weedhound
R.I.P

A prudent question is one-half of wisdom. -Francis Bacon

A wise man is superior to any insults which can be put upon him, and the best reply to unseemly behavior is patience and moderation. -Moliere

You're behaving as if there is no hope. Someone musta told you you were hopeless and you believed them! That's it, isn't it? What you believe about yrself rests on a pile of someone else's shit! - Teddybrae
Weezard is offline Quote

Old 06-01-2009, 07:40 AM #26
MiaWallace

MiaWallace will become famous soon enough
Smooth thanks for the cloning issue much appreciated damn your a fountain of great info! Super awesome I'm going to clone my 3 week vegging grape tomato plant right now in Rockwool. THANKS AGAIN sorry I'm just so happy you rock. ~Vince

Old 06-01-2009, 08:38 AM #27
Strainbrain
Chairman of the Joint Chiefs

Strainbrain is a glorious beacon of lightStrainbrain is a glorious beacon of lightStrainbrain is a glorious beacon of lightStrainbrain is a glorious beacon of lightStrainbrain is a glorious beacon of lightStrainbrain is a glorious beacon of lightStrainbrain is a glorious beacon of lightStrainbrain is a glorious beacon of lightStrainbrain is a glorious beacon of lightStrainbrain is a glorious beacon of lightStrainbrain is a glorious beacon of light
I started my whole crop from seed, grimcreeper. 56/59 on the year!

-s

Great things are achieved by tending to their small beginnings.

- TAO TE CHING

SB's Evolving Project
Vegging: F, F-13, White Widow, Wonder Haze, Grapefruit Jam

Flowering: F99, Happy Brother BX1, Sour Lifesaver

purcellville's Blueberry [******** cut] x F-13
[b. 11-07-09] -
[fl. 01-21-10] - [c. 03-26-10]

A friend with weed's a friend indeed, but friends with seeds are better!
Chemchunk, Grom x Grape Krush, Zombie Virus

Mosca Seeds Test Grow: Stinky la Pew x Old Time Moonshine
[b. 12-05-10] - [fl. 01-18-11] - [c. 04-02-11]

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclefishstick View Post
i know bears crap in the woods, so does the pope by the way.
Strainbrain is offline Quote

Old 06-02-2009, 01:29 AM #28
slappyjack

slappyjack has a spectacular aura aboutslappyjack has a spectacular aura aboutslappyjack has a spectacular aura aboutslappyjack has a spectacular aura about
I have 4 going

From seed: San Marzano paste & The old standby Roma (for sauce and sun dried)
From clone: Ace & Italian Gold

Just pruned out the lower growth yesterday. They're already 4 times bigger than all the topsy-turvey crap growing in my neighborhood. I've made bets with a few of my neighbors that upside down tomato pots are a gimmicky scam. We'll see in a few months.
slappyjack is offline Quote

Old 06-11-2009, 07:49 PM #29
thekingofNY
Cannasseur

thekingofNY is just really nicethekingofNY is just really nicethekingofNY is just really nicethekingofNY is just really nicethekingofNY is just really nicethekingofNY is just really nicethekingofNY is just really nicethekingofNY is just really nicethekingofNY is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by slappyjack View Post

I've made bets with a few of my neighbors that upside down tomato pots are a gimmicky scam. We'll see in a few months.
You do realize there are DIY info on how to build your own upside down tomato pot online with just a 2 litter i think.... dunno i find the instructions, but never read thru them, just saw the pic of the homemade one working.

Ive also read the reviews on that commercial one available... the census was it can work, but has some problems.

Now bout my tomato's.... We've got 4 growing here too, 1 early girl thats already showing its first little tomato growing, then 3 other ones that are a few weeks younger. We have 2 cherry tomatos and one "patio" tomato, (patio is the name)

I think the patio is the only one that gives all the fruit at once, i cant remember if thats determinent(sp), or interde(sp).

Anyone used organic liquid MJ nutes for tomatos? In specifically Earth juice? Its soo cheap, ive got a gallon for my grow that i will NEVER EVER be able to use up before it expires. So its going on all the other household plants this year lol.

I think im gonna give the Early girl some EJ bloom and catalyst soon.

edit: sweet, thanks for the cloning info whoever mentioned it...

thekingofNY is offline Quote

Old 06-11-2009, 08:07 PM #30
DonkeyPunch

DonkeyPunch will become famous soon enough
I set out 6 purple russian and 6 jet star a little while back. All of them have blooms and little tomatoes going.

Never have grown the purple russians before, should be interesting to see how they turn out.
DonkeyPunch is offline Quote