Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > General Gardening > Tomato growers?

Thread Title Search
Click for great deals at MB Ferts
Tomato growers? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-09-2009, 11:32 PM #1
outsidegrower

outsidegrower will become famous soon enoughoutsidegrower will become famous soon enough
Tomato growers?

I am growing this list of tomatos this year, has anyone grow any of these? I like some input.
black, pink, red and yellow Brandywine, Cherokee Purple, Green Zebra, White Wonder and orange Nebraska Wedding
outsidegrower is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:06 PM #2
DoobieDuck

DoobieDuck is a survivorDoobieDuck is a survivorDoobieDuck is a survivorDoobieDuck is a survivorDoobieDuck is a survivorDoobieDuck is a survivorDoobieDuck is a survivorDoobieDuck is a survivorDoobieDuck is a survivorDoobieDuck is a survivorDoobieDuck is a survivor
Well OSG I grow a bunch of tomatoes every year, new varieties, heirloomers..tomatoes are pickier than pot! I buy large plants and transplant them..one of my biggest problems is birds...knats and mites on pot are worse though! Wish you well..DD

Old 04-11-2009, 01:04 AM #3
hansel
Lost In The Forest

hansel will become famous soon enoughhansel will become famous soon enoughhansel will become famous soon enough
Heirloom tomatoes are great. It sounds like you have some nice varieties.
The black and purple varieties are very flavorful. Really they all have their own great unique flavor.

Red Brandywine are very nice. I have also grown Georgia Streak, Prudens Purple, Black Krim, Beefsteak, Mortgage Lifter, among others that I have forgotton. The larger tomatoes like Georgia Streak that are yellow with red stripes in them are really good.

The only problem that I have had with some heirloom types is that they are not as disease resistant as more modern hybrids and do not yeild as well.

Last year we grew Parks Whopper, Mortage Lifter, and another is Goliath.

Check out www.tomatofest.com for a lot of interesting info.

Best wishes with your garden.
hansel is offline Quote

Old 04-12-2009, 06:22 PM #4
puffdragon

puffdragon is on a distinguished road
I plant the red brandy wines every year. They do not have as much acid as most tomatos and tend to be sweet and jucy. I have never had trouble with illness on thease plants. ohh one other thing you can not can brandy wines due to the reduces acid.
puffdragon is offline Quote

Old 04-12-2009, 07:18 PM #5
madrecinco
Banned

madrecinco is a jewel in the roughmadrecinco is a jewel in the roughmadrecinco is a jewel in the roughmadrecinco is a jewel in the roughmadrecinco is a jewel in the roughmadrecinco is a jewel in the rough
Does anybody know a good tomato to plant to sorta hide my few weed plants>

I live on the 3rd floor facing south toward a great daily dose of Florida sun. I grew a couple of weed plants recently with a tomato plant in just Miracle Grow and got 2 tomatoes and a really good smoke from the two plants.

But for having been a first generation not a farmer....I don't know much about growing tomatoes. But I have floor to ceiling windows facing south in my meditation area.
madrecinco is offline Quote

Old 04-12-2009, 07:31 PM #6
Strainbrain
Chairman of the Joint Chiefs

Strainbrain is a glorious beacon of lightStrainbrain is a glorious beacon of lightStrainbrain is a glorious beacon of lightStrainbrain is a glorious beacon of lightStrainbrain is a glorious beacon of lightStrainbrain is a glorious beacon of lightStrainbrain is a glorious beacon of lightStrainbrain is a glorious beacon of lightStrainbrain is a glorious beacon of lightStrainbrain is a glorious beacon of lightStrainbrain is a glorious beacon of light
OSG! I'm an heirloom tomato nut myself. I do have some experience firsthand with a couple of your varieties:

Pink Brandywine: I run 'Sudduth's Strain' which is a pink one thought to be the original. Not a great producer, but the tomatoes lived up to the hype when I grew them in '05 as far as flavor went. Looked great, too. I'd bet the other colors are all variations on that same theme.

Cherokee Purple: A favorite of mine. I'm not running it now because I'm trying to find other purple tomatoes. I know I can always go back to it, and I probably will. Mine had a skin-cracking issue, though it was really only cosmetic. I believe it was mostly the weather - extremely hot and severe drought. They taste rich and fantastic. Also not extremely productive.

Green Zebra: I'm running Black Zebra (a GZ cross) right now. I ran GZ three years ago. The tomatoes were about 1.5", spherical, striped and had the nicest slightly-tart, rich and sweet candylike flavor. Those were actually my favorites the year they were in the garden. They were pretty productive. I think I ate most of them while tending to the garden over the summer... pull 3 weeds, eat a Zebra. Repeat.

Hope that helps a little!

-s

Great things are achieved by tending to their small beginnings.

- TAO TE CHING

SB's Evolving Project
Vegging: F, F-13, White Widow, Wonder Haze, Grapefruit Jam

Flowering: F99, Happy Brother BX1, Sour Lifesaver

purcellville's Blueberry [******** cut] x F-13
[b. 11-07-09] -
[fl. 01-21-10] - [c. 03-26-10]

A friend with weed's a friend indeed, but friends with seeds are better!
Chemchunk, Grom x Grape Krush, Zombie Virus

Mosca Seeds Test Grow: Stinky la Pew x Old Time Moonshine
[b. 12-05-10] - [fl. 01-18-11] - [c. 04-02-11]

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclefishstick View Post
i know bears crap in the woods, so does the pope by the way.
Strainbrain is offline Quote

Old 04-13-2009, 09:05 PM #7
quadracer
Master Composter

quadracer has a spectacular aura aboutquadracer has a spectacular aura aboutquadracer has a spectacular aura aboutquadracer has a spectacular aura aboutquadracer has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strainbrain View Post
OSG! I'm an heirloom tomato nut myself. I do have some experience firsthand with a couple of your varieties:

Pink Brandywine: I run 'Sudduth's Strain' which is a pink one thought to be the original. Not a great producer, but the tomatoes lived up to the hype when I grew them in '05 as far as flavor went. Looked great, too. I'd bet the other colors are all variations on that same theme.

Cherokee Purple: A favorite of mine. I'm not running it now because I'm trying to find other purple tomatoes. I know I can always go back to it, and I probably will. Mine had a skin-cracking issue, though it was really only cosmetic. I believe it was mostly the weather - extremely hot and severe drought. They taste rich and fantastic. Also not extremely productive.

-s

Nice! I got Sudduth's Strain and Cherokee Purple going too! The Cherokee Purple are doing so much better though. I also got Amish Paste going too.

Gotta love heirloom tomatoes and tomato season.
quadracer is offline Quote

Old 04-14-2009, 08:44 PM #8
puffinpass

i've got 26 varieties of tomatoes going this year about half of them r in their seedling stage the rest r still germinating in dixie cups...cherokee purple is one of my faves from last years crop...good choice, you'll love 'em!

Old 04-14-2009, 09:11 PM #9
VerdantGreen
Mentor

VerdantGreen has a brilliant futureVerdantGreen has a brilliant futureVerdantGreen has a brilliant futureVerdantGreen has a brilliant futureVerdantGreen has a brilliant futureVerdantGreen has a brilliant futureVerdantGreen has a brilliant futureVerdantGreen has a brilliant futureVerdantGreen has a brilliant futureVerdantGreen has a brilliant futureVerdantGreen has a brilliant future
im in uk - i grow red/pink brandywine every year, one of the best flavoured and it also cooks very well. easy to grow but needs a long season. i use them to hide my weed plants too (in a greenhouse). i sow a second, late crop of toms in may/june so they dont fade too early

do you get gardeners delight over there? thats the best small tomato imo - bigger than a cherry but still bite sized.
VerdantGreen is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:56 PM #10
jaykush
dirty black hands

jaykush is a glorious beacon of lightjaykush is a glorious beacon of lightjaykush is a glorious beacon of lightjaykush is a glorious beacon of lightjaykush is a glorious beacon of lightjaykush is a glorious beacon of lightjaykush is a glorious beacon of lightjaykush is a glorious beacon of lightjaykush is a glorious beacon of lightjaykush is a glorious beacon of lightjaykush is a glorious beacon of light
fellow tomato grower here, got 130 plants this year 12 varieties.