Question about worm compost Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-21-2019, 04:29 PM #41
Microbeman
The Logical Gardener

Microbeman has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mate Dave View Post
https://www.researchgate.net/figure/...fig6_322644078

I was gonna post this over in my thread because I though it interesting to have a pot as an experiment. See if I need make any more..
Dave; I'm not sure how this correlates to my statement, however I do think there is benefit to adding small char pieces to a worm bin/pile. I need to point out that it appears the authors of the article you linked have glossed over the contribution of carbon to the atmosphere from wood burning and subsequent effecting of global climate changes. Atmospheric quality is exactly the reason wood burning is regulated in many areas. When making char one should use a good design so as to minimize this contribution. A very hot oxygen deprived fire is essential. [IMO]

https://www.atmos-meas-tech.net/4/14...-1409-2011.pdf

"When the facts change, I change my mind.
What do you do, sir?"
"Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone."
~John Maynard Keynes~
Sorry: No questions by PM, check my webpage
Microbeman is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:24 PM #42
Big Nasty

Big Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by h.h. View Post
I think everything benefits from being in the bin.
As MM says not much transformative influence over rock, however they do get nicely coated.
Takes up a good bit of room. Basically what you end up with is a bin full of soil with worms in it.
That means I have to have twice the amount of soil, if I'm going to grow concurrently.

Initially for me this worked. I swore by it. Everything in the bin.
As I progressed I went with just a simple bin for teas and topdress.
That's the purpose,to have everything well mixed and mineralized,evenly distributed and self-adjusted with a little help from the worms

Maybe it's just overkill and speculation but i'd like to replicate what happens naturally in soil over time.
For big operations it could be a pita but i want to grow just 4-5 plants indoor.
Big Nasty is offline Quote

Old 01-21-2019, 05:31 PM #43
Microbeman
The Logical Gardener

Then you need earthworms rather than composting worms. Maybe you do. Yup you do...just checked.

What do you do, sir?"
"Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone."
~John Maynard Keynes~

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:42 PM #44
Big Nasty

Big Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really nice
Yes MM,earthworms aren't the best option for composting but they do a great job to improve the soil,i thought a mix of the two is better.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:44 PM #45
Mate Dave
Propagator

Mate Dave has a brilliant futureMate Dave has a brilliant futureMate Dave has a brilliant futureMate Dave has a brilliant futureMate Dave has a brilliant futureMate Dave has a brilliant futureMate Dave has a brilliant futureMate Dave has a brilliant futureMate Dave has a brilliant futureMate Dave has a brilliant futureMate Dave has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Microbeman View Post
Dave; I'm not sure how this correlates to my statement, however I do think there is benefit to adding small char pieces to a worm bin/pile. I need to point out that it appears the authors of the article you linked have glossed over the contribution of carbon to the atmosphere from wood burning and subsequent effecting of global climate changes. Atmospheric quality is exactly the reason wood burning is regulated in many areas. When making char one should use a good design so as to minimize this contribution. A very hot oxygen deprived fire is essential. [IMO]

https://www.atmos-meas-tech.net/4/14...-1409-2011.pdf

I wasn't pulling you up on anything, I have 0 experience with using art making char. I made mine in my bread oven. I was curious with the research paper test because it is with a species I have an ongoing friendship with the Bermuda grass & I wanted to see if the biochar is worth me adding. I would think shredding & getting it back into the dirt would be the best way to use char that and germination of seeds with various fire associated dormancy.

I have pulled up a tuft of the Bermuda grass & will grow some in a pot of the char mix & non char mix as an experiment to get the last vestiges of water before wilting & simulate there experiment..

Old 01-22-2019, 12:17 AM #46
Microbeman
The Logical Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mate Dave View Post
I wasn't pulling you up on anything, I have 0 experience with using art making char. I made mine in my bread oven. I was curious with the research paper test because it is with a species I have an ongoing friendship with the Bermuda grass & I wanted to see if the biochar is worth me adding. I would think shredding & getting it back into the dirt would be the best way to use char that and germination of seeds with various fire associated dormancy.

I have pulled up a tuft of the Bermuda grass & will grow some in a pot of the char mix & non char mix as an experiment to get the last vestiges of water before wilting & simulate there experiment..
We went to great lengths to build a giant char maker and we did have success using the biochar. We found the pine/fir shavings very much outperformed hardwoods. There are several studies which came to the same conclusion.
Alas, I was dissatisfied with how long it took to get the fire hot enough to reduce emissions. Later I discovered a much better design which I believe I posted a youtube video of in this forum.

Here is the burner almost emitting clean consumed fumes

and then fully consumed

Here are the shavings we used

What do you do, sir?"
~John Maynard Keynes~

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:40 AM #47
Microbeman
The Logical Gardener

Here is that video; simple, elegant, efficient

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqkWYM7rYpU

What do you do, sir?"
~John Maynard Keynes~

Old 01-22-2019, 12:44 AM #48
Big Nasty

Amazing MM,how did you charge all that stuff?are you still using biochar?

Old 01-22-2019, 12:47 AM #49
h.h.

h.h. is a glorious beacon of lighth.h. is a glorious beacon of lighth.h. is a glorious beacon of lighth.h. is a glorious beacon of lighth.h. is a glorious beacon of lighth.h. is a glorious beacon of lighth.h. is a glorious beacon of lighth.h. is a glorious beacon of lighth.h. is a glorious beacon of lighth.h. is a glorious beacon of lighth.h. is a glorious beacon of light
I look at the char ovens, but I'd probably burn the neighbors house down and not mine.
Pisses them off every time.

Quote:
it’s mighty sad when average health has declined to the point that people become fatally ill from exposure to a little animal shit.
Solomon, Steve; Reinheimer, Erica (2012-12-04). The Intelligent Gardener: Growing Nutrient Dense Food (p. 271). New Society Publishers. Kindle Edition.
h.h. is offline Quote

Old 01-22-2019, 12:59 AM #50
Microbeman
The Logical Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Nasty View Post
Amazing MM,how did you charge all that stuff?are you still using biochar?
We charged it with compost tea. We placed a metal barrel with holes in the bottom onto the pile of compost soil mix beside the burner, filled it with char and pumped 50 gallons of ACT into it. The ACT slowly perked out the bottom so sucked air as it went, aerating while charging. The ACT then leached into the pile, serving a dual purpose.

I only have a little yard now where I am but have just opted in on a small farm. If I can find shavings...

What do you do, sir?"
~John Maynard Keynes~

2 members found this post helpful.