Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > Toker's Den > Anyone here familiar with Santa Barbara, California?

Thread Title Search
Anyone here familiar with Santa Barbara, California? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-19-2019, 12:33 AM #91
Ace Rothstein

Ace Rothstein is a jewel in the roughAce Rothstein is a jewel in the roughAce Rothstein is a jewel in the roughAce Rothstein is a jewel in the roughAce Rothstein is a jewel in the roughAce Rothstein is a jewel in the rough
Coronado Ca 2br 2ba Condo for rent, easy walk to the beach. $3,500. Thank me later.
Ace Rothstein is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:37 AM #92
Breadwizard

Breadwizard has a spectacular aura aboutBreadwizard has a spectacular aura aboutBreadwizard has a spectacular aura aboutBreadwizard has a spectacular aura aboutBreadwizard has a spectacular aura about
And Ralph's is expensive! Well, compared.

Your price range is way over mine, and Oceanside can be great if you've got the cash. If you wanted closer to the city, sunset cliffs is nice, as is mission hills.

I used to live in north park, which I really enjoyed, enough going on, but less hectic than ob or pb, quick trip to downtown (where school was), hillcrest is like "the castro district" in SF, if you know what that means.

I live in Oakland now, and the weather and proper Mexican food I miss every day.
Breadwizard is offline Quote

Old 01-19-2019, 12:52 AM #93
St. Phatty

St. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringodoggie View Post
My water bill is over $100 a month. 2 People in a 1500 SF home. I don't think any place in the world pays that much. We used less than 200 CF of water for that price. The bill includes water, sewer and trash pickup.

Actually, I would love to hear what some of you pay for utilities. Or, property taxes. Or, even food per month. I found food to be way more expensive here than in California. There must be a reason why everyone says it is so expensive there. Please..... enlighten me.
Very interesting run-down on expenses.

I know people are being choked.

financially speaking.

A 30 Degree day feels like a 40 Degree Day

(Degrees F)
St. Phatty is offline Quote

Old 01-19-2019, 01:18 AM #94
Ringodoggie

Ringodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud of
Ace: I am finding that to be the norm. One thing I noticed was everything has 1 bath. Even the shittiest and smallest places here have 2 bathrooms. One for the bedrooms and a guest bath (or at least a half bath). I'm not sure I want to put my pure, smooth and wonderful ass (for a man) on the same toilet seat that my fat ass wife puts her lard load on. LMAO

And, she has a bunch on crap so we need 2 bedrooms or some other storage room for her to stack her crap. I saw some incredible places with a patio door that opened right onto the beach for under 4k. But, they are 500sf. LOL That is awesome for me. I like a clean house and I can clean 500sf in about 50 minutes. LOL But the lard ass I'm hauling with me needs at least 1000sf.

Is Coronado a good place? Seems a little crowded.

Bread: I would so much rather live in SF than anywhere but..... there's that weather thing. LOL I love the upbeat feel. It's like Manhattan, only nicer. LOL Thanks again for all the neighborhood references. That really helps.

Phatty: Everyone in the world knows it's more expensive in California than in Ohio. How cum I am the only one who doesn't know it. LOL Maybe because I don't watch the news so I didn't know. LOL It's weird. I'm sure I'm missing something. The entire world can't be being duped into believing something that isn't true.... could they. LOL Still, everything I could think of to check, is cheaper than here. Even toothpaste and Hanes underwear are cheaper there. WTF???? I even did a spreadsheet comparison of all the items I use and eat daily.

Hmmmmm? Something I didn't check into..... how much is your car insurance? I'm on medicare so health insurance isn't an issue. I only drive about 3000 miles a year. My car ins on a 2011 Ford Escape is 822.00 per year for basic coverage.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:27 AM #95
soil margin

soil margin is a name known to allsoil margin is a name known to allsoil margin is a name known to allsoil margin is a name known to allsoil margin is a name known to allsoil margin is a name known to allsoil margin is a name known to allsoil margin is a name known to allsoil margin is a name known to allsoil margin is a name known to allsoil margin is a name known to all
Quote:
Here is a link to my local grocery store. I compare this to 'Ralphs' which I shopped at in Santa Barbara when I stayed there.

https://curbsideexpress.gianteagle.c...ly%20Ad&page=1

The food prices are cheaper almost across the board in California.

Now, I am a good eater. I eat a lot of fruits and veggies and fresh meat and fish.

I like rib eye steaks. You guys are 2 to 3 dollars a pound cheaper.

Let's not even talk veggies. Most of your stuff is half the price of mine. And, I imagine it's fresher, better veggies as well.

Even milk, eggs and bread are cheaper there.

Oddly enough, pork seems expensive there.

Here is the ad for Ralphs....

https://www.ralphs.com/weeklyad
I usually only shop at the 'healthier' grocery stores like Whole foods, Sprouts, Barons, Trader Joes, etc. but it costs me about $100-150 to feed myself on decent food for a week. I could easily spend more though if I splurged on lots of steaks and salmon. Probably get your food about 10-15% cheaper if you shop at regular stores like Von's, Ralph's, Albertsons's,etc. I find food to be very expensive in SD unless you're willing to compromise or shop around a lot.
soil margin is offline Quote

Old 01-19-2019, 01:35 AM #96
art.spliff

art.spliff is a jewel in the roughart.spliff is a jewel in the roughart.spliff is a jewel in the roughart.spliff is a jewel in the roughart.spliff is a jewel in the roughart.spliff is a jewel in the rough
With a policy that allows you to specify lower mileage you can find insurance around half that cost. No bad weather here.
art.spliff is offline Quote

Old 01-19-2019, 02:07 AM #97
Ringodoggie

Ringodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud of
Soil: Nice way to compare. Here is the link to Whole Foods in my zip. Look at some prices and then place your zip and see if the prices go up or down.

https://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/sales-flyer/akron365

Edit: Oops didn't work. Not enough items to compare. Need a nice weekly add like Ralph's.

Old 01-19-2019, 04:08 AM #98
St. Phatty

St. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivor
Quote:
Phatty: Everyone in the world knows it's more expensive in California than in Ohio. How cum I am the only one who doesn't know it.
I believe you.

Is it partially a matter of knowing where to shop ?

There's a produce place on Geary in SF, where all the locals & Chinese families shop. Good prices !

I notice that Kansas is offering people $10K to move there.

(Degrees F)

Old 01-19-2019, 04:36 AM #99
Ace Rothstein

Ace Rothstein is a jewel in the roughAce Rothstein is a jewel in the roughAce Rothstein is a jewel in the roughAce Rothstein is a jewel in the roughAce Rothstein is a jewel in the roughAce Rothstein is a jewel in the rough
The place I mentioned is on Zillow right now, check it out. All beach cities are crowded, because it's the best weather, and people are cool.
Ace Rothstein is offline Quote

Old 01-19-2019, 04:39 AM #100
St. Phatty

Lightbulb

If I come into some cash,

I like the idea of buying a building in the California Fog Zone

equipping every closet with Inlet & Outlet fans - AND a varathaned floor with a wet drain, so no one needs to worry if some water gets spilled.

then set all the rents where they were, back in the mid-00's when I rented a 2 bedroom in Santa Rosa for $850.

And having a Light Museum room so tenants can deposit their old HID lights, to share with new growers.

Then unlocking the door to the roof so tenants can party on the roof - very important.

(Degrees F)