Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > Hobbies and Interests > Clarence's Bourbon Vanilla grow update.

Thread Title Search
Clarence's Bourbon Vanilla grow update. Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-11-2018, 11:52 PM #41
Lost in a SOG

Lost in a SOG has much to be proud ofLost in a SOG has much to be proud ofLost in a SOG has much to be proud ofLost in a SOG has much to be proud ofLost in a SOG has much to be proud ofLost in a SOG has much to be proud ofLost in a SOG has much to be proud ofLost in a SOG has much to be proud ofLost in a SOG has much to be proud ofLost in a SOG has much to be proud ofLost in a SOG has much to be proud of
yayyy you got fruit man!

This is awesome!! You inspired me to have my first go at growing a Vanilla planifolia about 5 long years ago but it was eaten by spidermite that came in on a frickin banana.. I spent 4 months in the hole fighting the borg man in the end I napalmed my whole world and the toxic purple winter that followed finished the job, they were never to be seen again after, neither was I. I'd changed

Ahem and now i'm having another go. I have a 2' long vine in my veg box for the extra humidity. Can I please pick your brains C?

They actually seem kinda hardy if you get them in a place they're happy enough with, and that is spidermite free.

So they can take low-medium soil strength once rooted in nicely in a weaker mix so long as it's airy? I was thinking mixing some canna terra with orchid bark/soil and add like a 5-10% mix of bat guano, castings, and biochar.

Do you raise the humidity at all for them? I read that the flowering is mainly instigated by changing conditions from cooler/more moist to lighter and dryer conditions?

I'm dreaming of making a funky flower room with a vanilla tactically hiding behind and around bananas.. God damn bananas are all in quarantine for the next year until i'm happy there are no fucking spidermite on them.. it's like aphids and roses..

Lost in a SOG is online now Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:12 PM #42
Clarence
FUZZY WUZZY

Clarence Is A Red Fuzz'Dup MuppetClarence Is A Red Fuzz'Dup MuppetClarence Is A Red Fuzz'Dup MuppetClarence Is A Red Fuzz'Dup MuppetClarence Is A Red Fuzz'Dup MuppetClarence Is A Red Fuzz'Dup MuppetClarence Is A Red Fuzz'Dup MuppetClarence Is A Red Fuzz'Dup MuppetClarence Is A Red Fuzz'Dup MuppetClarence Is A Red Fuzz'Dup MuppetClarence Is A Red Fuzz'Dup Muppet
Your soil mix sounds good as far as I know. It's pretty much the same as I have done. I've only ever had them in my living room so they have had whatever the RH has been in there. I have not once tried to change the humidity. I've never had spider mites on the vines. Even tho a couple of my baobabs next to them did. I did have a small problem with mealy bugs at one point. When I put my coffee plant next to the vanilla all of the mealy bugs slowly migrated over to the coffee tree. So I booted the coffee tree out into the garden and have not had mealy bugs since.

I've had banana plants before and they had huge problems with spider mites. Ended up burning those.

The vanilla like filtered sun light so it's been perfect having them in my south facing bay window. I have light coloured solid roll down blinds that I adjust to keep direct sun off them. Since I'm in the UK the sun doesn't seem too much of a problem. Maybe the last couple weeks have been strong. Most of the year the blinds are up.

SI POST FATA VENIT GLORIA NON PROPERO

Last edited by Clarence; 07-26-2018 at 03:57 PM..
Clarence is offline Quote

Old 07-26-2018, 01:34 PM #43
Clarence
FUZZY WUZZY

Clarence Is A Red Fuzz'Dup MuppetClarence Is A Red Fuzz'Dup MuppetClarence Is A Red Fuzz'Dup MuppetClarence Is A Red Fuzz'Dup MuppetClarence Is A Red Fuzz'Dup MuppetClarence Is A Red Fuzz'Dup MuppetClarence Is A Red Fuzz'Dup MuppetClarence Is A Red Fuzz'Dup MuppetClarence Is A Red Fuzz'Dup MuppetClarence Is A Red Fuzz'Dup MuppetClarence Is A Red Fuzz'Dup Muppet
Vanilla pods now in the final stage, conditioning. Wrapped in wax paper and stored in some open test tubes placed in a wooden box. In this case still in the humidor. They will lose another 3% - 4% of moisture and will develop full fragrance. At the end the pods weight reduction from green to conditioned pod will range from 4.5:1 to 6:1 depending on the grade.

Cheers

SI POST FATA VENIT GLORIA NON PROPERO
Clarence is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:40 PM #44
Illuminate
OG refugee

Illuminate has much to be proud ofIlluminate has much to be proud ofIlluminate has much to be proud ofIlluminate has much to be proud ofIlluminate has much to be proud ofIlluminate has much to be proud ofIlluminate has much to be proud ofIlluminate has much to be proud ofIlluminate has much to be proud ofIlluminate has much to be proud ofIlluminate has much to be proud of
That is fuckin schedule 1 grade a bad ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Nature View Post
I love how this is a plant we've been breeding and manipulating for hundreds of years, if not more, in order to serve our needs yet we've only just recently started taking notes.
Illuminate is offline Quote

Old 07-26-2018, 02:53 PM #45
Badfishy1

Badfishy1 has a brilliant futureBadfishy1 has a brilliant futureBadfishy1 has a brilliant futureBadfishy1 has a brilliant futureBadfishy1 has a brilliant futureBadfishy1 has a brilliant futureBadfishy1 has a brilliant futureBadfishy1 has a brilliant futureBadfishy1 has a brilliant futureBadfishy1 has a brilliant futureBadfishy1 has a brilliant future
Getting close lad. I personally have experienced growing on a screened porch or attaching vine to bottom of a shady tree I have had my best growth in high humidity
Badfishy1 is offline Quote

Old 11-26-2018, 12:00 AM #46
Fozzie Bear

Hey ! This is very nice project. I am really interested how turned that creme anglais ?