Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > IC Magazine > USA Cannabis Scene: State By State > Alaska > The last frontier online bonfire

Thread Title Search
The last frontier online bonfire Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2018, 05:02 PM #31
TerpTaster

TerpTaster is on a distinguished road
Hello fellow Alaskans had a question. I moved here a few months ago and have got my grow started. Still dialing things in, it's a rough road starting over after leaving California. So my question was concerning fungus gnats do you get them a lot here? Does anybody grow hydro and if so are fungus gnats less of a problem with hydro? I grow in soil using Subcool's super soil method. I've battled these boogers before, they are so persistent. Using yellow sticky traps and treating soil with hydrogen peroxide. Making sure media is not over watered and drying up between waterings. Thinking of going to hydro and getting away from soil. Any comments would be appreciated. Happy growing to all.
TerpTaster is offline Quote

Old 08-23-2018, 09:56 PM #32
moose eater

Location: Off a dead-end dirt road, near a river, out of town, in the hills and trees
moose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivor
I've found that any time I use store-acquired organic amendments (EWCs especially, but others, too), I'm typically importing fungus gnats, and often thrips, too. Complete annihilation is difficult. Suppression to the point of near-annihilation is much more achievable.

I used Gnatrol years ago to some degree of success (typically found back then in HUGE 2.5-gallon jugs), coupled with the yellow sticky traps, etc. You can also cover with diatomaceous earth as a barrier.

When I went looking to procure another quantity of liquid Gnatrol, I discovered the stuff hadn't been marketed that way in years & was no longer available in liquid suspension solution (Bti), BUT Gnatrol WDG (Bti) -IS- available in powdered form, and available in smaller amounts through a number of outlets that buy the expensive 5-gallon buckets, then sell by the lb. I've been using it with some degree of success, both as a prophylactic for gnat larvae in new mixes, as well as treating existing populations. I mix it a bit strong; maybe .13 oz. or more to a gallon of H2O.

Another member here in Hawaii reports they have effectively used unscented dryer sheets as a barrier, laying them across the tops of pots, per their report to me, but I suspect you'd need to move a lot of dryer sheets come tending time?

For the thrips, having abandoned Azamax, etc., and harsh aerosol sprays, I went to Spinosad/Spinosaids at the advice of numerous others, and that's been about as effective as the Gnatrol WDG has been with the gnats.

HOWEVER, in my research re. Spinosad, there were peripheral/very limited reports of toxicity (to humans? animals? plants?) at higher doses or more frequent applications.

Most of the commercially available Spinosad products come in at a concentration of .05% (+/-) from what I've read. There was a stout product with STRONG concentration listed some place in the forums here a little bit ago, though considering the reading I found re. toxicity, I'd tend to stick with the lesser concentrations.

That's what I have either found from reading, or from experience.

Good luck. If all else fails, there's always anti-aircraft batteries. ;^>)
moose eater is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:07 PM #33
TerpTaster

Thanks moose eater. Any info is much appreciated.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-24-2018, 11:01 AM #34
FrozenFire

FrozenFire is a splendid one to beholdFrozenFire is a splendid one to beholdFrozenFire is a splendid one to beholdFrozenFire is a splendid one to beholdFrozenFire is a splendid one to beholdFrozenFire is a splendid one to beholdFrozenFire is a splendid one to beholdFrozenFire is a splendid one to beholdFrozenFire is a splendid one to beholdFrozenFire is a splendid one to beholdFrozenFire is a splendid one to behold
The little assholes show up from time to time here. I'd get them at the old house occasionally. No pest strips work great for trapping them. Depending on hydro setup they will get into the root zone and nibble on roots. I tried mosquito bits in the reservoir and that seemed to help fix that. If that don't work, try surface to air missiles!

The neverending insanity of frozenfire: currently page 27 forward for undercurrent and aeroponics.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=344873

Copper chem grow zone: my pollen chucking and breeders notes.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=352428
FrozenFire is offline Quote

Old 08-24-2018, 06:58 PM #35
TerpTaster

Thanks FrozenFire, I'm just going to stay as persistent as they are I'm stubborn so I will get a handle on them soon. Hydro may still be in my future though, I figure cutting out the moist soil which is what they thrive in is a step towards the right direction. Still researching what type of hydro setup I would run, most likely design and build my own. Again thanks for the info guys. Happy growing.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:52 AM #36
Rockness Monsta

Rockness Monsta is on a distinguished road
I like this product and I am in coco. I add to my res every couple weeks and no gnats

https://agron.io/products/microbe-li...RoCSEcQAvD_BwE
Rockness Monsta is offline Quote

Old 11-25-2018, 04:01 AM #37
FrozenFire

FrozenFire is a splendid one to beholdFrozenFire is a splendid one to beholdFrozenFire is a splendid one to beholdFrozenFire is a splendid one to beholdFrozenFire is a splendid one to beholdFrozenFire is a splendid one to beholdFrozenFire is a splendid one to beholdFrozenFire is a splendid one to beholdFrozenFire is a splendid one to beholdFrozenFire is a splendid one to beholdFrozenFire is a splendid one to behold
Happy belated tukeyday to all the Alaskans among us, and everyone else too! As winter settles in, what are yall growing indoors?

The neverending insanity of frozenfire: currently page 27 forward for undercurrent and aeroponics.

Old 02-15-2019, 04:31 AM #38
FrozenFire

Its awful quiet around these parts. I've been plugging away in my tents all winter. I've been having fun doing some pollen chucking with my copper chems. Current grow in the aerotable is a run of copper chem f2s I made. Several ladies of the f2s and a couple others got hit with copper chem f2 male pollen. I am about to have more seeds than I know what to do with . The ccf2 stud reeks of skunks ass and limes, and has resin on him to boot! Here's some pics of my work with copper chem this winter.

Ccf2 banana smelling pheno

Ccf2 male

Copper chem #4- the mother of ccf2 generation. This is only one branch from when I scrogged her. She is a beast!

Old 02-15-2019, 06:20 AM #39
moose eater

Location: Off a dead-end dirt road, near a river, out of town, in the hills and trees
moose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivor
Nice cola, FF.

I'm barely keeping my mothers alive at this time. Seems to be a bit of kryptonite at my shop door, keeping me from getting with it, re. mixing up the next batch of test soilless mix. Too many years, and getting grumpy and intolerant of any stressors in my age. Life changes, doors narrow, and maybe it'll all come around full circle.. maybe not.

Still the same old stand-by mommas as before; Bodhi's Goji OG #2, Goji OG #8, an ancient 20-year old (21?) momma of Dronker's Sensi Seeds California Indica, Ghost Train Haze #1, Widow Bomb #3, and perhaps one other I can't remember right now.

Just got back from testing my spirit of youth; flew down to Arizona and drove back a used clean car with low miles and no rust for my wife. Been on the northern route of the Alcan many, many times in the last quarter-century, but it had been 24 years since I did the Alcan on the lower end (which I'd also done dozens of times, as well as the Stewart-Cassiar). Left Southern Arizona on Feb. 4, and made my way quickly through Shelby Montana (-29 f. in Shelby; coldest spot on the trip).

Met up with a generous and hospitable forum member in Calgary. Smiling faces are welcome on long trips.

Left out of Ft. Nelson, B.C., I think on the 7th of Feb., in the dark hours of evening, a few days after leaving Tucson, with excessively tinted glass, and the Yin & Yang reality made itself apparent.

Couldn't see the cliffs up and over Steamboat and Stone Mountain, but couldn't see a lot of other shit either. ;^>) Sometimes it's good not to see some things. ;^>)

Still recovering from making my aged body act like a 25-year-old's flesh and bones again. No doubt it'll pay me back heavily one day.

Haven't posted but once in the last few months here. Angry at narrow-mindedness and hate, but my own hasn't gotten a lot better, sitting in the shadows.

Time for a spliff of some 'Critical Mass' that was gifted to me by another, then a rest, and up for more work.

Take care.
moose eater is offline Quote

Old 02-15-2019, 06:58 AM #40
AgentPothead
Just this guy, ya know?

AgentPothead has a brilliant futureAgentPothead has a brilliant futureAgentPothead has a brilliant futureAgentPothead has a brilliant futureAgentPothead has a brilliant futureAgentPothead has a brilliant futureAgentPothead has a brilliant futureAgentPothead has a brilliant futureAgentPothead has a brilliant futureAgentPothead has a brilliant futureAgentPothead has a brilliant future
I'm not from Alaska but holy crap man, way to go, this is incredible.
Also do all the copper chems have a banana phenotype? Are those custom made? I love banana smell, would be interested in seeing that in marijuana.

You may not vote on any more threads today. Don't sweat the technique. And honestly. My fuck ups turn to gold so much the thought of fuckin up don't even bother me. So I keep it auto when I'm stepping through a portal. I know that sounds strange but, strange beats normal. Marijuana Botany: An Advanced Study The Propagation And Breeding Of Distinctive Cannabis By Robert Connell Clarke-->https://archive.org/details/Marijuan...nctiveCannabis
AgentPothead is offline Quote