Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > Hobbies and Interests > Plumbing Question, Pros & Cons of Drano

Thread Title Search
Plumbing Question, Pros & Cons of Drano Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-28-2018, 04:09 PM #11
Mikell
Dipshit Know-Nothing

Mikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond repute
Snake.

Tool rental places usually have a toilet snake. Not too many want a shitty snake on the van or in the shop.

I would familiarize yourself with the smaller sink snakes and watch a Youtube video before attempting the toilet. It is possible to crack the bowl.
Mikell is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-28-2018, 04:31 PM #12
green404
Banned

green404 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen404 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen404 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen404 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen404 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen404 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen404 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen404 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen404 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen404 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen404 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Phatty View Post
I know people who use heated sulfuric acid to do electrolytic extraction of precious metals. Their process scares me to death.

I've used sulfuric acid to make Nitric Acid. Very serious stuff, a force of nature that doesn't stop for human flesh.
Probably why it is hard to find on a consumer level.

I had a cheap landlord once I called him about a clogged drain, he stopped by and dropped off a qt of sulfuric acid. I did work.

Made me wonder if a person could crack open a car battery and pour the acid in the drain. What would a tweaker do ? lol

If you are have problems all over your house it could be the main house drain. The places I lived that had drain problems all had main septic line problems, both had tree roots that had grown in the main septic line.
When the water drains slower it has more time to settle and become clogged.

Normal places I just end up running the snake down the shower once every couple of years, I usually find a collection of long female hair.
green404 is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:25 AM #13
Dropped Cat
Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch

Dropped Cat has a reputation beyond reputeDropped Cat has a reputation beyond reputeDropped Cat has a reputation beyond reputeDropped Cat has a reputation beyond reputeDropped Cat has a reputation beyond reputeDropped Cat has a reputation beyond reputeDropped Cat has a reputation beyond reputeDropped Cat has a reputation beyond reputeDropped Cat has a reputation beyond reputeDropped Cat has a reputation beyond reputeDropped Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Plumber here.

Your sinks and toilet drain into a main line.

Likely the clog is in the main line near the toilet.

A plunger worked in the toilet can clear loose clogs in the mainline.

Push your plunger into the toilet's bowl and secure
a vacuum and pull/push a few times without breaking
the vacuum.

You'll get the hang of it, a rhythm of pulling and pushing.

If the clog has hardened, and is not cleared with this method,
then uninstall the toilet bowl and employ a snake thru the open waste line.

If you follow this method you'll save some big coin.

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-29-2018, 02:29 AM #14
Switcher56
Comfortably numb!

Switcher56 has a reputation beyond reputeSwitcher56 has a reputation beyond reputeSwitcher56 has a reputation beyond reputeSwitcher56 has a reputation beyond reputeSwitcher56 has a reputation beyond reputeSwitcher56 has a reputation beyond reputeSwitcher56 has a reputation beyond reputeSwitcher56 has a reputation beyond reputeSwitcher56 has a reputation beyond reputeSwitcher56 has a reputation beyond reputeSwitcher56 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by green404 View Post
Probably why it is hard to find on a consumer level.

I had a cheap landlord once I called him about a clogged drain, he stopped by and dropped off a qt of sulfuric acid. I did work.

Made me wonder if a person could crack open a car battery and pour the acid in the drain. What would a tweaker do ? lol

If you are have problems all over your house it could be the main house drain. The places I lived that had drain problems all had main septic line problems, both had tree roots that had grown in the main septic line.
When the water drains slower it has more time to settle and become clogged.

Normal places I just end up running the snake down the shower once every couple of years, I usually find a collection of long female hair.
that happened to my neighbour across the street. What a mess! The sewer backed up into his basement. Can I say not a pretty site!
Switcher56 is online now Quote