Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Marijuana Strains and Breeding > Cuttings & Propagation Techniques > Help with air layering

Thread Title Search
Help with air layering Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-24-2017, 11:44 AM #31
earthwyrms

Location: an alien star catalog number, planet 3. https://spaceengine.org procedural generation, off
earthwyrms has a spectacular aura aboutearthwyrms has a spectacular aura aboutearthwyrms has a spectacular aura aboutearthwyrms has a spectacular aura aboutearthwyrms has a spectacular aura about
is air layering possible in flowering, so you can reveg the clones?

earthwyrms is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-24-2017, 03:35 PM #32
Drop That Sound

Drop That Sound has disabled reputation
I don't see why not, I know that clones can be successfully taken during flower. Earlier the better. Would be a good way to get rid of the stragglers down under the canopy instead of just removing them, which is usually a good thing anyway.

I haven't tried it myself but I would trust air layering over taking a cutting to possibly save a strain any day!

I've even considered leaving potted or mini aero/hydroponic air layers attached to the plant throughout flowering to see if it supercharges the bud sites by having 2 root systems, etc.

Imagine having 1 big plant that has 5-10 different root systems besides the main one, all with different mediums, with different combinations of nutrients as well! Haha of course 1 of them would be a layer dipped into a gold fish bowl for some aquaponic action

( I know I know sounds crazy when you could just have that many plants. Mad science for the win!)
Drop That Sound is offline Quote

Old 06-20-2017, 11:33 AM #33
120Octane

120Octane will become famous soon enough
Bump
120Octane is offline Quote

Old 07-09-2017, 06:35 PM #34
thenewstyle

thenewstyle has a spectacular aura aboutthenewstyle has a spectacular aura aboutthenewstyle has a spectacular aura aboutthenewstyle has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop That Sound View Post
I don't see why not, I know that clones can be successfully taken during flower. Earlier the better. Would be a good way to get rid of the stragglers down under the canopy instead of just removing them, which is usually a good thing anyway.

I haven't tried it myself but I would trust air layering over taking a cutting to possibly save a strain any day!

I've even considered leaving potted or mini aero/hydroponic air layers attached to the plant throughout flowering to see if it supercharges the bud sites by having 2 root systems, etc.

Imagine having 1 big plant that has 5-10 different root systems besides the main one, all with different mediums, with different combinations of nutrients as well! Haha of course 1 of them would be a layer dipped into a gold fish bowl for some aquaponic action

( I know I know sounds crazy when you could just have that many plants. Mad science for the win!)

Have you ever tried the 2 root system plant before? Sounds like a sweet side by side needs to be done
thenewstyle is offline Quote

Old 07-09-2017, 10:12 PM #35
HuffnPufferfish

HuffnPufferfish is just really niceHuffnPufferfish is just really niceHuffnPufferfish is just really niceHuffnPufferfish is just really niceHuffnPufferfish is just really niceHuffnPufferfish is just really niceHuffnPufferfish is just really niceHuffnPufferfish is just really niceHuffnPufferfish is just really niceHuffnPufferfish is just really niceHuffnPufferfish is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop That Sound View Post
Thanks for the heads up, I will look up my state, although I feel one could challenge the law. Maybe it would be wise to consult a lawyer on the matter, before completely giving up.

It does says "plant" not "plant(s)", though that is basically what it is saying..or is it? damn.

But if it doesn't say "root formation(S)" that that means that it isn't a "plant" unless it has air layers.. am I correct?

I feel that the plant with air layers is one organism, the only thing I really worried about is if they chop the plant up for evidence, they are crooked that way.
its not open to interpretation, sorry

Old 11-22-2017, 06:39 PM #36
Drop That Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewstyle View Post
Have you ever tried the 2 root system plant before? Sounds like a sweet side by side needs to be done
Good question! Actually I currently have some larger branches air layered, that have smaller air layers hooked to it. Essentially I will have a 3 root system plant if I cut the biggest branch off one first.. technically speaking that is

Old 11-22-2017, 06:41 PM #37
Drop That Sound

Guys & gals, I am back to air layering out another over grown mother plant. This time more heavily. No plans to flower her.

I am using the small grodan rock wool starter plugs from the slab, un-soaked or PH'ed, and simply rolled up in plastic wrap, no tape or twisties.

Same air layering methods as before, Injections with a 10ml syringe as usual.

The fact they initially hold a lot more water has me slightly concerned, i'm not a RW grower. I saturated them until in dripped from the wrap, about 25ml of tap water (per cube, bigger clones have extra cubes). This is much more than rooter plugs hold, which can be a pain as they dry quickly.

Hopefully it turns out to be more beneficial using rockwool in the coming week, meaning less injections when they start to root. I will start lightly feeding when the time comes, not to worried about the condition of the RW cubes as the roots will soon be hitting a nice bubble spa. Let me know if it would be best to keep them damp, or wet?.. if anyone knows.

Potting the layers up in coco before cutting was nice but it made a big mess and invited gnats into the moms net pot and room last time around. Probably my fault for not nuking it first... or did I? Anyway's that's probably not gonna happen again anytime soon.

I plan to transplant them immediately into DWC/AERO totes after cutting, with plastic bag humidity domes until they can self support with new roots.

Nothing too fancy, just trying to simplify and and make it easier, faster, and cleaner.

I may experiment some and leave a few layers attached to the mom, too see what happens to them if she drys up, is stressed, or shocked. We shall see!

-drop

Old 11-23-2017, 11:04 PM #38
Drop That Sound

Update: So I underestimated rock wool, it actually dries quickly. I'm guessing I will be watering them more when they start rooting.

This however leads me to a new idea.. A new invention for my garden. An air layer propagation machine!

A full air layering kit of sorts, that can be put into a case and transported anywhere. Everything I need to get the job done.

Basically it will be a res, with a small pump & timer, going to a manifold, with a number of 1/4" lines that run to the air layers. Just like a simple DTW drip system. Including flow adjuster valves, and industrial syringe tips to poke into the air layer medium, to keep them wet.

I could also do a gravity fed I.V. system, with actual medical supplies.. not sure how well it would work, this could get interesting!

Old 04-23-2019, 11:01 PM #39
SuperBadGrower

SuperBadGrower is a jewel in the roughSuperBadGrower is a jewel in the roughSuperBadGrower is a jewel in the roughSuperBadGrower is a jewel in the roughSuperBadGrower is a jewel in the roughSuperBadGrower is a jewel in the roughSuperBadGrower is a jewel in the roughSuperBadGrower is a jewel in the rough
I don't know about thicker stems, but if they are this size, don't even bother removing the outside of the stem. It's a waste of time. Simple never fails:

SuperBadGrower is online now Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:49 AM #40
Robney

Robney is a name known to allRobney is a name known to allRobney is a name known to allRobney is a name known to allRobney is a name known to allRobney is a name known to allRobney is a name known to allRobney is a name known to allRobney is a name known to allRobney is a name known to allRobney is a name known to all
Damn! I tried air layering a couple times, but never thought to use a rapid rooter. That's genius! I'm gonna have to try that soon!
Robney is offline Quote