What's new

CAREGIVER NEEDS YOUR SUPPORT IN COURT CASE WED 9/22

BiG H3rB Tr3E

"No problem can be solved from the same level of c
Veteran
Chris Bartkowicz is a Colorado caregiver facing federal charges for growing medical marijuana. He is the first caregiver in Colorado to be targeted by the feds. If his prosecution is successful, he won't be the last.

Sensible Colorado has organized a protest and rally for him at the Federal Courthouse in Denver on Wed. (9/22).

------------------------------------------------------------

Life in Prison for Growing Medical Marijuana?

Dear MMJ Supporters,

Colorado caregiver Christopher Bartkowicz is facing life in federal prison for growing medicine for sick Colorado patients. We need your help in bringing attention to this government supported atrocity. Join us on Wednesday, September 22 at 8am as we rally at the Federal Courthouse in Denver. Then make your way inside to show support as Bartkowicz’s attorney makes the most important arguments of the case-- whether all charges should be dismissed because Bartkowicz was following Colorado law. Concurrently, the US Attorney will argue Bartkowicz should be prohibited from even mentioning the words “medical marijuana” at his jury trial scheduled for November 1st, 2010.

This is a crucial day for medical marijuana in Colorado, and we need your support to tell the feds we will not stand by as they attempt to destroy Colorado’s medical marijuana community!

WHAT: Protest to support Chris Bartkowicz and Colorado Medical Marijuana Patients

WHEN: Wednesday, September 22nd, 8:00-8:30am

NOTE from CTI: Chris' hearing starts at 9am, so be in line to get through security into the courhouse by 8:30am.

WHERE: Alfred A. Arraj United States Courthouse (west entrance), 901 19th Street, Denver, Colorado 80294.

COURTOOM: 7th floor - The Honorable Judge Philip Brimmer

WHY: No one should be sent to jail for growing legal medical marijuana.

WHAT TO BRING: Signs, water bottles, noise making devices

BE RESPECTFUL and DRESS TO IMPRESS! Please be very respectful in the courtroom. No signs or noisemaking devices or even T-shirts with slogans on them inside. We don't want to harm Chris' case, but we do want to be there to show support.

***CHRIS IS ONLY 24 YEARS OLD AND STANDS TO BE THE FIRST CAREGIVER TO RECIEVE A LIFE SENTANCE IN CO.***

Last edited:

vta

Veteran
24 years old and some Fed prosecutor thinks he deserves not to have a life anymore. Does this guy really think this 24 year old is so evil? On the same level as a capital murderer? It's people like this prosecutor that deserve no life.

someotherguy

Veteran
that is some messed up shit! ...government oppression at it's worst!

i wish i lived close enough to be there to support him.

peace, and stay safe, SOG

BiG H3rB Tr3E

Veteran
24 years old and some Fed prosecutor thinks he deserves not to have a life anymore. Does this guy really think this 24 year old is so evil? On the same level as a capital murderer? It's people like this prosecutor that deserve no life.

Not to mention he's a first time offender who was following state law and had no drugs or weapons upon arrest. Life in prison for growing / selling mj is asinine. There are rapist, pedophiles and murderers who have all recieved far lighter sentances. How in this day and age can that be justifiable....?

sac beh

I think this is the guy that showed off his large grow on the news, definitely not the smartest move in the current climate.

But that said, the persecution is outrageous. Who in their right mind would look at this and say, yeah, that seems just, let the bastard rot in jail for growing plants in accordance with the constitution of his state?

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
If he was in compliance with Colorado Law, then the Feds should be taking Colorado to Trial...not a Caregiver-- At the very least, the State's Attorney General should be handling this case personally--
Fucking crazy--

BiG H3rB Tr3E

Veteran
I think this is the guy that showed off his large grow on the news, definitely not the smartest move in the current climate.

But that said, the persecution is outrageous. Who in their right mind would look at this and say, yeah, that seems just, let the bastard rot in jail for growing plants in accordance with the constitution of his state?

Yeah he was the guy who called the news and made a bug spectacle. I was first to chastise him when I heard about it. But life in prison? That's outrageous.

ambition

A few of my friends are going. This guy is an idiot of epidemic proportions, but he's an idiot who deserves to be a free idiot.

This is an outrage. I wonder how much news coverage it will get nationally? I'm not holding my breathe.

BiG H3rB Tr3E

Veteran
Im fairly certain the judge won't give the man a life sentance, but the fact that any prosecutor can try and justify a life sentance for a non violent grower with no priors is disgusting. He deserves to lose his job for even suggesting such a horrendous sentance.

killa-bud

Veteran
"WHAT TO BRING: Signs, water bottles, noise making devices"

"BE RESPECTFUL and DRESS TO IMPRESS! Please be very respectful in the courtroom. No signs or noisemaking devices or even T-shirts with slogans on them inside. We don't want to harm Chris' case, but we do want to be there to show support."

so which is it

BiG H3rB Tr3E

Veteran
"WHAT TO BRING: Signs, water bottles, noise making devices"

"BE RESPECTFUL and DRESS TO IMPRESS! Please be very respectful in the courtroom. No signs or noisemaking devices or even T-shirts with slogans on them inside. We don't want to harm Chris' case, but we do want to be there to show support."

so which is it

Protest outside the federal building, but be respectful inside the courtroom.

BiG H3rB Tr3E

Veteran
Unfortunatly federal judge brimmer denied bartkowicz's dismissal of all charges.

Here's hoping the best for chris in his case. I will update this thread as I hear more

sac beh

Before the start of the hearing this morning, about 20 marijuana activists held a protest outside the federal courthouse, carrying signs saying "No prison for pot" and "Stop arresting medical marijuana patients."

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_16144639

I really think he would have had more public support there if it weren't for bragging about how much money he planned on making. The general marijuana using public doesn't have or plan on making lots of money, they support cannabis for the plant itself. :/

But don't get me wrong, best of luck to him, I hope his lawyer has some tricks up his sleeves. A trial like this could help set a good precedent and start to change federal opinion if the results are right.

stoNerd

The thing that sickens me is that people think weed just falls from the sky. They tell you to "get a real job," as they smoke weed that someone else grew, and when they decide to quit smoking weed, they may reminisce the good memories left behind, but they tend to neglect any appreciation for the "dude" who took the risks to make it all happen. Growers never get the respect they deserve, its a catch 22.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
"Legal" CO grower busted after TV interview

"Legal" CO grower busted after TV interview

A Colorado grower, believing he was compliant with all state laws, granted a TV interview of his grow op only to be busted by the Feds.

Whether this or the recent CA case where a legal grower killed a ripper, stealth should remain a priority for all growers. Kinda like riding a bicycle where, regardless of the law, insisting an 18 wheeler respect your right of way is the fast track to disaster.

Just a friendly reminder, show and tell is a bad move regardless of local laws.

sac beh

Attorney General candidate Stan Garnett gives his opinion on the Bartkowicz case

JB Woods
Kush Magazine
September 22, 2010
All Rights Reserved

In federal court today, marijuana grower Christopher Bartkowicz lost his right to use his medical marijuana caregiver status as a defense against charges by the federal government.

Bartkowicz and his attorney, Joseph Saint-Veltri, were hoping to convince U.S. District Judge Philip A. Brimmer that Colorado’s medical marijuana laws protect Bartkowicz from federal prosecution. Brimmer did not agree, which could result in Bartkowicz facing a life sentence if convicted.

Bartkowicz became famous after 9News aired a video of him in February 2010, proudly displaying his medical marijuana grow to a reporter. (The jungle in your neighbor’s basement) Despite his belief that he was following Colorado’s medical marijuana laws, federal agents raided his suburban home in Highlands Ranch, confiscating medical marijuana plants and equipment.

The conflict between federal and state laws regarding medical marijuana continues to be a major source of confusion for those involved in the industry. Colorado’s recently enacted House Bill 10-1284 was designed to license and validate medical marijuana centers, growers, and infused products manufacturers. There is even further recognition of the “caregiver” designation that Bartkowicz could have embraced as part of his defense.

In a recent debate for Attorney General, incumbent John Suthers and Boulder District Attorney Stan Garnett discussed the ambiguities of medical marijuana laws. Suthers described the quagmire between federal and state laws as a hypocrisy, while Garnett recognized it as confusing, especially as it pertains to land-use regulation.

An exclusive statement released today by Stan Garnett, provides further support that change is required between the federal and state government.
September 22, 2010

The ongoing federal prosecution in Denver of medical marijuana grower Christopher Bartkowicz highlights my belief that this evolving and complex issue is currently best dealt with through land-use regulation, rather than the criminal courts. This prosecution, threatening Mr. Bartkowicz with decades in prison, for an activity he believed to be sanctioned under Amendment 20 and Colorado law as it was currently written, is totally unjust and unnecessary. John Suthers, a professed staunch supporter of states’ rights, and obligated as the current Attorney General to defend Colorado law, should call on the U.S. Attorney to promptly and fairly reach a proportionate and just resolution of this case.

Stan Garnett

http://www.findmypot.com/2010/09/23/stan-garnett-bartkowicz-attorney-general-suthers/

SCF

Bong Smoking News Hound
Veteran

Ding ding ding. its like are you kidding me? just because lets say, it did boil down to money! laundering money like martha sturt she did less time. Just because hes working HARD for his money. This is just BS. DEA is crap.

Latest posts

Latest posts