What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

"Special" Sour Kush Plant

RonSmooth

Veteran
Reserva Privada Sour Kush. Pretty unique looking plant overall. The crown of the main cola is - i don't even know what it is. But I must have stared at it for an hour.

picture.php

View image in gallery

This is the rest of the main cola. Looks good. Actually looks like its going to shape up to be a pig. I should have included something for scale, I know all the guys say this but its way bigger in person. This is the biggest plant i have grown, its about 5' tall.

She has a two-headed top on a single lower branch as well.

The plant looks like its going to be pretty special. Even if she makes herself a few seeds. So far this particular strain has been prone to isolated male flowers. I believe I took a couple off of one node about half way down the plant. I found them a few weeks into flower, removed them and haven't noticed any more.

Two of them are cuts from the plants before them and the male flowers (some opened) only produced around a dozen seeds in around 6 oz dried. I tolerate it because its so good and everyone loves it.

true grit

Veteran
Does it have any light sensitivity issues? That happens to tops for me when they are too close to the light and start to stress.

RonSmooth

Veteran
Yes, it stretched considerably and ended up within inches of the 600.

No other plants look like this and they are all close to the lamp. There was no signs of bleaching. I took that to mean it wasn't light intensity. Although heat, specifically radiant heat, is a possibility. I wouldn't have thought heat stress could change the physical growth patterns so drastically. There are other unique (to me) things on the plant as well.

There are fan leaves that come off the stem at 90 angles rather than the usual 180, odd looking pin leaves and a single branch with two tops. I thought the two heads was rare until I noticed it on the plant right next to this one - completely different strain and around 18" from the lamp.

Maybe I should cut down on the gamma ray treatment.

PS

I might have to stop topping my plants and let the main cola grow out. I am really loving the looks of the garden and this looks like it may be my best yeild yet.

Coconutz

Veteran
I had a RP SK clone from a shop that stretched like crazy.
It grew all kinds of foxtails and it hermied.
Didnt find many seeds at all.
Its bomb fucking smoke though!
Sour grapefruit OG fuel! Booyah!
Id run a pack if it werent for all the hermie reports...
Keep an eye out, they are hidden once it foxtails!

RonSmooth

Veteran
I had a RP SK clone from a shop that stretched like crazy.
It grew all kinds of foxtails and it hermied.
Didnt find many seeds at all.
Its bomb fucking smoke though!
Sour grapefruit OG fuel! Booyah!
Id run a pack if it werent for all the hermie reports...
Keep an eye out, they are hidden once it foxtails!

Oh I have already found them. I had to pull one plant because there were too many. I have found 1-3 full male flowers on almost every SK.

I pull them when I find them and they only come once, earlier in flowering. If I catch them they don't seem to come back. Also have a cut of one herm that hasn't showed any and they should have arrived by now.

I miss a few and end up with a few seeds. Very few for having multiple male flowers release pollen. I have had more seeds in harvest where I only found a single anther or two.

I suspect most of the pollen from these SK female's may not be viable or Id have a lot more seeds.

I hear ya. It is very good and I continue to run it even with her faults. A strain really has to be bomb to run known herms! ; )

Coconutz

Veteran
I thought there were only a few nanners until I trimmed the buds...
Turns out it was full of them!
Luckily there werent many seeds for whatever reason.
Plants were staggered and I did find 2 plants that were a bit seeded. They are in my freezer.

Yesca73

good info man
I got 1 vegging now that I got as a freebie
I will def keep an eye out for herm signs
let us now how she turns out

RonSmooth

Veteran
good info man
I got 1 vegging now that I got as a freebie
I will def keep an eye out for herm signs
let us now how she turns out

You'll find them a few weeks into flowering at the base of nodes on lower branches. They can be tough to find as some are right at the base of female flower clusters. If you find one, pull it off and monitor the plant.

I have found that they only grow once. So even if you find an open one, its not the end of the world. IME, they didnt keep popping up all the way through flowering.

RonSmooth

Veteran
I just wanted to add that the plant in question wasn't "special". It was deformed as a result of heat stress.

SK stretches considerably and got too close to the hood. The summer heat, inadequate ventilation and inexperience are more to blame than the strain or breeder.

I am growing cuts from the last SK run and they are much, much better this time around.

I haven't found a single male flower on them either and they are 7.5 weeks into flowering.

You'll find them a few weeks into flowering at the base of nodes on lower branches. They can be tough to find as some are right at the base of female flower clusters. If you find one, pull it off and monitor the plant.

I have found that they only grow once. So even if you find an open one, its not the end of the world. IME, they didnt keep popping up all the way through flowering.

This was the same thing I dealt with a few times with my Holy Grail keepers. I just cut the nutes back until I get past that 3rd week after that period when the male flowers try and appear. Now I don't see them at any stage.