What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Things I have learned from ICMAG...

catalyte

Veteran
i've learned there's alot of misnomers about growing that is spread as "Bro-Science" on here and thru word of mouth...

this place has alot of REAL info too, just really woke up to the fact that cannabis growers have alot of unfounded practices....

waveguide

Veteran
something i didn't learn...

..now i've done enough grows to see dozens of strains and watch a few of them go through a few generations of breeding, what i've noticed would lead me to have bought less seeds back when i could afford them...

like, a lot of ppl get one freebie and grow it and say "oh that was okay" or whatever, but what i'm noticing now is that one plant of a strain does not represent it's genetic potential..

..like if i get one seed and it's a sickly, slow growing plant with short internodes, and breed it with a strain that's relatively stable, the offspring don't just look like the two plants mashed together.. there are ones that may have very long internodes et c.. i notice a lot of genetic variation in offspring.

in fact, i notice that the hybrids i create seem more often to have the desirable traits, like crossing them makes them healthier or better or more adaptable. relative to my human perception i'm sure..

..so what i've learned is that if you have 4 freebie strains, what you've actually got is whole lot of breeding potential for good plants than just 4 naff freebie giveaways. like terpenes/taste seems to evolve, not just be A + B.

or maybe i just like seeing the crosses and imagining that one of them is going to be awesome :)

angelgoob

If your plant is dying, you're doing it wrong.

If parts of your plant are dying and gradually all the leaves yellow, and it's dying, you're doing it correctly.

purple_man

Veteran
there are as many opinions as assholes ;)

aka, dont trust ish blindly just because some "self proclaimed" expert is hyping it up...

blessss

G

ganjygav

This thread is so real. It goes for forums all over the web, Google a question and get 10 different answers with good back up arguments. The differences in opinions and experiences is vast within this hobby of ours. No one is right nor wrong,we all have our own experiences that are relevant to our own grows because no two growers have identical environments and such. Most of the time I follow others advice it brings on new problems.
For instance, when I first started growing I was under the impression that you didn't need to ph when growing in soil. I got that from reading formums,friends who grow and a grow shops owner. For a few grows it didn't appear I needed to either.... Or it was just I wasn't as aware of problems with my plants as I am now, because over the last few grows I kept having issue's, the same issues over and over again.
I searched the internet,asked on the forums and tried different solutions everytime with the same results. The only bit of advice I wouldn't take was that I needed to adjust the ph of my water.
Well my past crop got so bad after 11 weeks of growing I gave up and threw it out.
I finally excepted it might be a ph issue and brought myself the gear needed and guess what, my plants look fan-fuckin-tastic this time.
My point is that there's lots of information out there that might not suit your grow, you just gotta try stuff and find what works for you... And when you do ,don't automatically think that it will apply to everyone else's situation AND certainly don't be ignorant enough to argue with people about who's advice is best like I once was guilty of.

Stay lucky,GG

P.s. I think watering soil till run off everytime is not a good idea hahaha

H

Huckster79

That the ford vs Chevy vs dodge who's truck is better type arguments are amazingly infinite in our world of a million theories.

I'm a full believer that all roads of good will lead to heaven- and as a new grower I've learned here that all roads of any amount of sensibility lead to a harvest of the most wonderful plant in existence...

A plant that in and of itself brings more good to the world. There are so many theories and variations of how to achieve the same end goal.

The saddest thing I've learned on here is some people allow their passions for their method lead to being angry fundamentalists of their theory and are angry at anyone that doesn't believe theirs is the bestest and only right way to grow cannabis!

I love the passion hate the anger I sometimes see... come on now we are cultivating a plant who's effect is one of bringing peace- we should set a better example and enjoy and be fascinated by our differences ( which all almost always both methods work out in end one way or another and usually with a yelled)

We're tokers for Gods sake- can't we all just get along?

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I learned that even tho science has progressed some dumbasses still believe old high times and outdated information even when presented with the facts....yeehaw....

St. Phatty

I appreciate all the info about growing.

This place is like a Guild, members helping members.

But actually, my Netflix is getting a little thin.

Can someone recommend some good mindless TV shows ?

H

Huckster79

I've learned there's a million ways to a successful grow and if ur an old boiler plate rule breaker like me there is lots of others of us, and that we aren't rebels without a cause we are looking to build on age old wisdom and continue to add to it. I've learned about vpd most lately and now makes sense why even though against the rules iv done well...

Also learned no matter how much I learn there's more to go, I love it

mufafa

Learned to change up my style from proactive to reactive, the plants just seem to do better when I let them do their thing and now I only step in when somethings going wrong. Trying to predict grow issues has caused me more headaches than not.