What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Purple Haze x Malawi

chronosync

Well-stoned member
Purple haze x malawi

Sprouted may 13
I was hoping to do them all at once (6 pack regs) but I decided there’s probably no way I can bloom them all together as the biggest tent I have is a 2 x 4

Today while examining them for gender I was able to identify two as female. With the daintier of the two putting off a strong mango aroma with a stem rub

I put them in .75 gallon pots with a mix of coco and COM stonington blend and will probably let them get some roots for a few days to a week before flip.

After stretch is over I will up-pot to larger containers

This tent is 3 x 1.5 x 5ft

The reason they are pruned like that is because I topped them low once they were about a foot tall, for clones but temps were too high in my spot that week and I lost a few to damping

Second attempt at clones was done again last night but this time I was able to get two cuts off each plant and moved my cloner to a better spot.

Any suggestions are more than welcome, thanks

0087C24C-539E-4DE4-B9FE-F6A52D73829D.jpeg B1B267F1-3CEF-48DD-B7E5-536AB6286525.jpeg 0C2677AD-223A-470D-9C31-AE1C71457A2E.jpeg

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Thanks for choosing Purple Haze x Malawi for your current grow @chronosync :)
Your support is much appreciated! Glad you already have found 2 girls from your regular pack for this grow.

This sativa usually gets tall and big, it's not the easiest genetics to grow in a tent, so prune from early stage like you did and when necessary to control their size, keep them in small pots until early flowering stretching is over, then transplant to final pot for the rest of the flowering.

If you have an aircon for the tent then perfect, but if you don't have and indoor room gets hot during summer time then consider to delay and start the flowering when temps start to go down, typically in September or October. Such indoor cycle usually have the best conditions of the year to grow best flowers indoors without air con and in hot locations in northern hemisphere.

chronosync

Well-stoned member
Ok dubi,

Thank you so much, I really appreciate the response and expert advice.

Do you think 82f is gong to be too hot for them in flower? I don't have any AC but I think I can run the lights during the night time to offset the outside heat. You are right because this summer is forecast to be hot and dry.

How does the stretch on these compare to the Zamaldelica? That would give me a bit better idea of what to expect in that regard.

I could hold off on the grow but same time I have nothing ready to bloom and these are ready ... however I do not plan on getting rid of the other 4 whether they are male or female so I am already committed to keeping them as mothers anyhow.

Im going to see how they do in this soil for a few days at any rate. This is uncharted territory for me, I have never grown anything in soil inside. If need be I can tear it down and start over. Id rather not do that either ... hmm now what to do. I'll have to sleep on it.

Thanks again, dubi! Your support is greatly appreciated. I did a little looking up on it and found a few instances where you recommended using small pots and the timing on it to control these long blooming sativas. This type of information is like gold and I appreciate you sharing some of your well earned knowledge and plant wisdom with us

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Your are welcome @chronosync

82ºF or 28ºC is ok for max temps when the lights are on, it's very important that temps when ligths are off are 5ºC lesser, around 73ºF. Oldtimer's Haze dominant hybrids like this one tolerates very well direct sun and very high temps outdoors, but indoors don't perform well with constant temps around 30ºC or higher, because Oldtimer's Haze extreme tropical genetics are very dominant and in pure form has never been adapted for indoor growing.

Purple Haze x Malawi can almost double in size Zamaldelica fem, please take it in consideration.

chronosync

Well-stoned member
Oh wow because The Zamaldelica I grew were unbelievable in the stretch. truly remarkable.

Id like to thank you again dubi for saving me some time and sparing me some disappointments.

I've realized I shouldnt try them at this point. I can easily wait a few months and try again, do it right this time..

I'll never forget the time a few zamaldelica completely ate my grow tent, I had to start over with clones.
I will check back when I get myself sorted out. Im so excited for these but It'll be worth the wait
Cheers

BC LONE WOLF

Malawi/purple haze reg
Growing outdoors in organic living soil, 20gals grow bag.
Photoperiod at location 14:30hrs
Grown at 49th parallel, we are expecting a male and hoping it pulls thru being a male as we would like to add this genetics to our Sativa lineage.
It’s a beautiful pheno showing incredible side branching and outstanding vigor.

02D8CFA6-80C6-40B9-B28E-4D1B0C14B602.jpeg
B15DC36D-784E-4E37-9F64-6F89F18B80FD.jpeg
B4FF9E69-410C-48F5-960A-793502968AAF.jpeg
A5F20B36-57FE-40DF-BBE2-406A00648526.jpeg
CF3741B1-F160-4B06-8C07-4BFC810AF091.jpeg
BDC59FE3-BED3-4D9D-BE81-5A52760E42EE.jpeg

No signs of pistils which we are happy about it as we wish a male not female. Hard to identify the preflower leaf forming at the bract

Perdido

My Purple Haze x Malawi in Vienna (lat 48) after kinking her (she is a she :good:) branches.
She recovered wonderfully from pruning. I feel I cut off 80% of her branches the last weeks.
As bushy as she is now I will have to thin her out several times before she starts flowering (when? Mid-End September?)
20230812_PHxMal - Kopie.jpg

BC LONE WOLF

Malawi/purple haze reg
Growing outdoors in organic living soil, 20gals grow bag.
Photoperiod at location 14:30hrs
Grown at 49th parallel, we are expecting a male and hoping it pulls thru being a male as we would like to add this genetics to our Sativa lineage.
It’s a beautiful pheno showing incredible side branching and outstanding vigor.

View attachment 18876498 View attachment 18876500 View attachment 18876504 View attachment 18876505 View attachment 18876506 View attachment 18876507

No signs of pistils which we are happy about it as we wish a male not female. Hard to identify the preflower leaf forming at the bract

Follow up;

96D05F53-0F6D-4896-AA15-71924C8EB0F5.jpeg
B23EE163-6538-4761-B5F0-7843C942FDAE.jpeg
4889EB22-767F-4C6D-B592-5BB57A777719.jpeg
FA9A0DCA-B199-483A-88D0-871A46D2CB45.jpeg
322B6A52-E71C-4B2D-B8F7-65A2E9A74BFF.jpeg
0E2D31C4-B400-48AF-BCA1-DA99FDE47667.jpeg

Exceptional pheno, a pine/citrus scent on stem rub, sex flower starting to define. Can we call it a Male?

First week of September we should have a definite answer, as several females waiting for this male to give some dust.

BC LONE WOLF

Dr Bombay

Oh wow because The Zamaldelica I grew were unbelievable in the stretch. truly remarkable.

Id like to thank you again dubi for saving me some time and sparing me some disappointments.

I've realized I shouldnt try them at this point. I can easily wait a few months and try again, do it right this time..

I'll never forget the time a few zamaldelica completely ate my grow tent, I had to start over with clones.
I will check back when I get myself sorted out. Im so excited for these but It'll be worth the wait
Cheers
I couldn't believe how much mine stretched Chrono!

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Great looking bush @Perdido thanks for sharing pics of her :yes: vigorous pure sativa hybrids like this one react very well to pruning.

Glad you joined the thread @BC LONE WOLF :) your plant is still undefined, but we will know its gender soon for sure. If it's a male, what do you plan to pollinate with his pollen ?

Hi @Dr Bombay found your thread doing a search:

Thanks for choosing Purple Haze x Malawi regular version for your current grow.
Was the pollination by the male intended ? Lower leaves typically get dusted white when the males throws lots of pollen. @Koondense already commented what you can expect after releasing so much pollen in such a small space: lots of seeds! Please, feel free to share the development of your grow here in this thread too.

BC LONE WOLF

Great looking bush @Perdido thanks for sharing pics of her :yes: vigorous pure sativa hybrids like this one react very well to pruning.

Glad you joined the thread @BC LONE WOLF :) your plant is still undefined, but we will know its gender soon for sure. If it's a male, what do you plan to pollinate with his pollen ?

Was the pollination by the male intended ? Lower leaves typically get dusted white when the males throws lots of pollen. @Koondense already commented what you can expect after releasing so much pollen in such a small space: lots of seeds! Please, feel free to share the development of your grow here in this thread too.
Hi Dubi,

Thanks for the message, I have now put Malawi/PH pheno under lights and shelter. I now changed my approach I love the M/PH pheno and wish it defines female. I have several males that are great.
Been working on a Super Sativa line inspired in your creations I have a Durban crossed with a Filipino and a Jamaican skunk x Mexican; 2 of our own lines very Sativa dominant and your Malawi/PH is a perfect finishing touch to those Sativa lines.

Reason behind me hoping I get a female now I have your Honduras male, a Durban male, a Filipino male and a Jamaican skunk male.

Sure will have a great variety of crosses.

2C8D7B8C-7859-4176-AB18-87D70893EEA8.jpeg
7E04C0A8-42E7-48C6-9724-E88FBFFE58F5.jpeg
6F3A5A70-275B-4F0F-A269-FCB72504289E.jpeg
C368F7C9-0C66-432A-9702-3D044D7BEF35.jpeg

This pheno is under lights now at 11/13. Has vegged outdoors for 3 months. Should be fun to watch

Edit: I have a Canadian heirloom called Texada Timewrap been grown for decades in a gulf island around here, thats my main cross for this Malawi.

Last edited:

Dr Bombay

Thank you Dubi! This is so different from the other Ace varieties l have grown! It is by far the most stretch that I have ever seen in my limited time growing. I didn't expect a male and never had one before. It is doing well in the backyard. I just thought the leaves looked so beautiful on that plant. I was shocked and surprised when l noticed it was male. I think having some seeds would be very 😎.
I am hoping this will be ready to harvest in January.
Hi Dubi,

Thanks for the message, I have now put Malawi/PH pheno under lights and shelter. I now changed my approach I love the M/PH pheno and wish it defines female. I have several males that are great.
Been working on a Super Sativa line inspired in your creations I have a Durban crossed with a Filipino and a Jamaican skunk x Mexican; 2 of our own lines very Sativa dominant and your Malawi/PH is a perfect finishing touch to those Sativa lines.

Reason behind me hoping I get a female now I have your Honduras male, a Durban male, a Filipino male and a Jamaican skunk male.

Sure will have a great variety of crosses.

View attachment 18889227 View attachment 18889228 View attachment 18889229 View attachment 18889230

This pheno is under lights now at 11/13. Has vegged outdoors for 3 months. Should be fun to watch

Edit: I have a Canadian heirloom called Texada Timewrap been grown for decades in a gulf island around here, thats my main cross for this Malawi.
So beautiful. It looks fantastic! I have heard of Texada.

Dr Bombay

Here they are at approx 10 weeks. About 12 weeks from flip. I continue to ammend the soil with nutrients about once per month. Some leaf yellowing. I don't see any seeds yet. Lights at 125w mostly with bursts to 240w.

Hoping to finish strong!

Attachments

• 20231015_093557.jpg
    20231015_093557.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 93
  • 20231015_093500.jpg
    20231015_093500.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 95

Latest posts

Latest posts