What's new

asking an advice for spectrum in led

drpurple

I ve 60w led e27 lamps (15wx4) used for home illumination (removing the opaque plastic to make the light more intense), nothing special but i see here great results in microg grow. Al the setup will work, and i want to focus about spectrum. unlucky i ve noticed that they are all 4500kelvin. do they have enough red spectrum for flowering ? i ve an autoflowering, and my aim is good quality pot (i want at least 15gr). I knwo that blue is for vegetative and ok, they will work for the first phase, but then? i Don't want a perfect super optimized grow, but just somenthing that work. If i risk to loose my plant i'll buy red lights, but if it could give me good weed, i stay with mine. I ve low space (it micro) and i went to know that blu spectrum make plant stay short and dense. I can add in flowering e27 led grow lamp (12 red led 6 blu led), the ones you find in ebay coming from china. (36w but i guess 22 effective).

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
The best results are provided by red and blue led chips.
I do not have enough tact to explain the years and years of results since LEDs became available for growing that show this to be an absolute myth without causing offence.
Red and blue feed chlorophyll, and do it well. I never heard of THC being made by chlorophyll, ever.
I do hear of plants doing poorly under red/blue only LED, in fact, this use of red/blue in the early years is what convinced so many gardeners that LEDs were useless toys incapable of ever growing pot.

Using blurple LEDs will confirm this concept with bad growing plants.

Sorry about the offence, but this myth is getting tiresome after so many years of being proved untrue.

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
Yes i was inspired by that thread. But i see they use 2700k for flowering, and i'm guessing if 4500k is good enough to support flowering too

All 'white' LEDs use 450 nm Royal Blue to drive the phosphors so all have a strong blue signal regardless of color temperature. The screw in bulbs of red/blue chips made in China (most brands) test out at 25% of rated power, a 36 watt rating puts out 9 watts of light.
With the blue already available the all red supplement bulbs rated at 54 watts (14 watts actual) would be a good compliment, one of those to four of the 4500 K white bulbs with 15 watt outputs (not ratings, output).
The 4500 K chips will flower the plants by themselves, but the extra red won't hurt and is not too expensive.

PetFlora represents Amare and his posts explain the use and ratio's used by Amare in their white LED units with red chip supplements around the CoB's. Several companies use this approach, I use Black Diamond brand, but Amare has a spokesman here willing to talk about theirs.

Latest posts

Latest posts