What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

how many plants in 5 gallon pot

I am currently growing some bluestreaks in 5 gallon pots. I have 3 plants, each have their own pot. That crop should be done in three weeks, and I currently have some KC36 seedlings (7 of them), and I'm going to also start some white widow.

Can I put 2 plants (or more) in these 5 gallon pots? Like, 2 or 3 KC36 in a 5 gallon pot, 2 or three white widows in other one, etc.

I will veg the plants for two weeks, then throw into flowering (i don't want them too tall).

what kind of yield do you think I'll get? And, is yield affected by putting more than one plant in a 5 gallon pot?

Sorry, one more question... When is it correct to say that the veg phase starts?

M

milehighmedical

Umm... I would never put more than one plant in. Just get some 2 or 3 gallon buckets man.

Unless you're building a big bed, just one plant per bucket.

yortbogey

To Have More ... Desire Less
Veteran
yes...no more than 2...but i would still.....LST...the schit out of them.....
tie each plant going into opposite directions they'ell grow that way....
sidewayz....even.....= moretops.....less total highth.....and better even canopy......:2cents:

I

IE2KS_KUSH

Can I put 2 plants (or more) in these 5 gallon pots? Like, 2 or 3 KC36 in a 5 gallon pot, 2 or three white widows in other one, etc.
You can do whatever you want. Put 10 in 1 pot.
I, me, I would just put 1 in each pot.
Also, your seedlings, I am assuming they are femd seeds? Otherwize what will you do with any males? Rip out and leave roots?
Again, I would go 1, if you are vegging just 2 weeks, then flipping, you could probably get away w/ 3 gallons depending on how long you flower and strain I guess. If you don't like fucking w/ big, stupid pots, you could try grow bags, they work great, re-usable, take up no room for storage, easy to work with. What kind of light and space do you have? You could veg longer and just top and train, or just train, or train them to a screen, that way you would have a more mature vigorous plant to go into flower that may produce more for you while working within your given space. While doing that, you could take clones, and set up a mother to work from clone. By the time you finish, you could have 8 1 gallon grow bags w/ clones ready to flower, and you would not need to train them or veg them. I dunno, sorry, I ramble, and get lost in thought when it comes to the topic.

Sorry, one more question... When is it correct to say that the veg phase starts?

Me, I consider mine to be vegging, uh, considered, mine to be vegging when they had 5 true sets of leaves. I never give nutes in veg if the soil is less than 30 days fresh, (FFOF). Not needed, they get all they need, just water, calmag, lk.
Again, sorry, I could go on all day though. And I don't really know shit about growing, just what I know. You know?:abduct:

I

IE2KS_KUSH

I am sorry, but if they are seedlings, I would not put them into anything big, just cups. I don't usually repot until they get to AT LEAST 5 sets, by then they easily drain the cups of any moisture in 2 days max and need the room. Then it's to just 1 gallon bags, and into flower for clones, if you are vegging and topping,training, whatever, then you could let them go like 30 days in the 1 gallons, then in 30 days, repot to 3 gallons and flip them, or continue to veg. If you veg'd to 45 or 60 days, you may be looking at repotting somewhere into flower depending on the plant.
I hate having to use more dirt than I need to, so I start small and work up, then as plants "weed" themselves out due to sex, herm, sickness, I snap one off at the dirt on accident, then I haven't wasted alot of soil. It's also easier to maintain watering a smaller container, where as using a 5 gallon for a 7 inch tall immature plant, it's hard for me to tell how much to water. On a seedling, the root system is not going to come anywhere near filling a 5 gallon pot, no telling where it's going either so you have to water the whole damn 5 gallons of dirt, and then the soil holds much of the moisture where as in a cup, the soil is way more saturated w/ roots, and they use up the water. In a 5 gallon the plant could be ready to drink, but the pot could way a ton and still be soaked. It's just easier for me to do it my way, now you try. You liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiike!

ddrew

Veteran
I've had 2 plants finish in one pot before several times, what happens for me is that one usually becomes dominate and chokes out the other one till it ends up half it's size or less, but I have had a couple times where both grew equally.
I always looked at the stunted plant and wished I would have given it it's own pot.
1 plant one pot is how I do it now.

hmmm. for now, i'll leave the plants n the peat cups until they have 5 leaves. we'll take it from there.

how many 5 gallon round pots can you get under a 400w hps /-----------\ system?

blackone

Veteran
Plants that are fairly equal in size and already vegged for some time in smaller pots to ensure that booth are guaranteed a sufficient roots system to start out with can share a pot as long as it's big enough when taking their size when flower is started into account.

On the other hand if the plants are too uneven the difference between the largest and the smallest is dramatic.

In this picture the 2 swt#3 plants are equal - but both are longing for some more space relative to their size. The result would probably have been the same if these plants were equally close but in different pots.
picture.php

A 5 gal pot must be a bit larger tho, and able to hold a couple of plants?

I

IE2KS_KUSH

maybe more but the footprint and penetration play into that, so it depends on the hood/reflector, and of course power. 400w, I have 2 of those, I would do 4 maybe, but you can put as many as you want, you just have to figure out if it's worth it, rate of return kind of thing. Depends on how long you veg too, you could do 1 if you veg and train it, lots of variables.

Latest posts

Latest posts