What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The best Fluorescent lights for Clones & Moms

reado

Howdy!

I'm looking to build a small veg cabinet and I'm planning on putting in some fluorescent lights.

My space is 39" wide by 22" deep and approx 24" high.

I was thinking about getting 2x 2' long fluorescent tubes and arrange them on the the left and right sides trying for as even light distribution as possible.

Going over books, forums and checking out Home Depot, there seems to be a lot variety.

I'm just looking for something that will produce nice strong clones and mothers.. I'm not looking to flower or do anything super aggressive, just something nice to prep for a SOG setup.

What kind of lights should I be looking for? The grow shops in my area lean towards T5s but are pretty expensive..

Basically the two big things i'm looking for:

a) Can i get decent results with using T8 or T12 bulbs?

b) What type of bulb would be best? Cool White, Daylight, Plant & Aquarium?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!

yortbogey

To Have More ... Desire Less
Veteran
T-5'z and never look back....it All i use for clonez....seedlings...momz...and veggie .....works...G8T.....killer low heat...highout put.....very effective........U will learn....spend alittle more and get better results....dont skimp on setup........:2cents:

J

JackTheGrower

T-5'z and never look back....it All i use for clonez....seedlings...momz...and veggie .....works...G8T.....killer low heat...highout put.....very effective........U will learn....spend alittle more and get better results....dont skimp on setup........:2cents:

Hey yortbogey,

I'm in the same boat but getting to that design..

How deep would this T-5's be good for.. I'm considering..

Jack

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
T5's are very bright, neither clones or small seedlings need that intensity, regular shop lights will be fine. The intensity of T5's is nice when seedlings get going though.

yortbogey

To Have More ... Desire Less
Veteran
yeah alittle 2ft 4bulb would work g8t......could mix the bulb spectrum....or even just run 2 bulbz for clonez only....should fit U'r space nicely......:2cents:

TGT

Tom 'Green' Thumb
Veteran
I prefer natural white spiral. I tried every kind and it seems to always work the best for clones.

TGT

aceofspades

I am in the same boat reado, I have not built myy mom/ seed/clone chamber because I am not sure of height, and bushiness that will be required from mothers....I am thinkng about 2x4ft shot lights for the first run, until I get cloning down, and from there on purchasing a CFL with hood. For my first run I might just run an open type space to grow some clones and move them over to the flower chamber ( which I have spent all of my time building ) and go from there...MONEY is scarce now-a-days and we need to use what we have in order to make our grows more efficient!

ACE

reado

Thanks for the great feedback everyone!

Its sounds like T5s aren't a major requirement..

So going with a standard shop light, that would indicate getting T8 or T12 right?

As well, TGT, you mentioned Natural White... If i'm setting up a 2 fixtures, 4 bulbs total, is it beneficial to use something like 2 natural white and 2 Daylight?

What about those lights designed for Plants & Aquariums.. are they any good?

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
My friend uses those purple tubes for cuttings. They won't grow your plants much at all, it sort of holds them in stasis in a way, but that's a feature not a bug in his opinion.

I bought a pl-l hood marketed for cuttings/early veg, and that comes with 4000k bulbs which I think is a Soft White or thereabouts. Sort of depends how fast you need them to grow as to which lights would be optimal.

Krull

Soul Feeder
Veteran
Go with T5 or T8. Use daylight (~6500K) or mix with a bit of warm white (~2700K).
Aquarium lights can be out of useful spectrum range (many are at ~10000K) so check them.

:2cents:

Peace

=K

Jnugg

Veteran
T12's,T8's and T5's will work just fine...The T5's will be the best bang for thr buck though.I have seen a few people do full grows (seedling/clone/veg/flower) under T5's that looked pretty damn impressive for a Fluoro grow.

I was actually thinking of picking up a 2' 4 or 8 bulb T5 fixture just for moms/clones/vegging clones.Then I can finally be on my way to the continuos/perpetual grows.

When I first started growing over 12+ years ago I was using a computer desk (just the two sides and the back) lit with two 4' 2 bulb T12's and grew from seed to harvest...not anywhere near any decent numbers but it was free smoke and a good way to learn.

I'd say spend the extra cash and get yourself some T5's!

*EDIT*

I see yyou say you're going with T12's or T8's and two dual bulb fixtures of either...For a fuller spectrum you can do one warm white and one cool white per fixture.

reado

Great info guys.... thanks so much!

I only mentioned the T8's because they were cheaper. I'm sure there are tons of great deals on T5's but maybe I just need to keep on digging.
(so if anyone in Canada has a place, let me know!)

The purpose of these lights are 100% rooting & veg.. I'm using a LED UFO 90 for flower, so I'll never have these girls under the fluoros at 12/12

It sounds like i'm on the right course, but now it all boils down to $$$$ (doesn't everything?)

If I can't find some cheap T5s, I'll just grab some mixed bulbs (probably daylight and cool light)

Thanks again!