What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What is the scoop with sm-90?

D

dongle69

So sm-90 was recommended to me for control of fungus gnats, root stimulation, and more.
I picked up a bottle (legal again in Cali) and noticed it says nothing of the uses I have heard about.
It is being sold as a wetting agent according to the label.
Ingredients:
1% coriander oil
94% sulphonated canola oil solution
5% triethanolamine

What is the deal?
Does it really get rid of fungus gnats? (if it does, how much to use if I hand water coco?)
Does it screw with enzyme products? (I saw an inconclusive thread about using it with cannazym).
Does it enhance roots?

D

dongle69

OK so I called the company that makes it and they said the label is vague because of the red tape involved by mentioning pesticide use in California.
They are going to call me back tomorrow regarding if it OK to use with cannazym/hygrozyme.
The person I talked to said they were 99% sure it wouldn't kill any beneficial bacteria or enzymes.
We will see...

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Get back to us on that one. I haven't had use for it but, had decided it would be better for me than Hydrogaurd as I don't do the bacterial thing. I thought the point of SM-90 was, it killed everything except the plant itself.

humble1

crazaer at overgrow 2.0
ICMag Donor
Veteran
scope the 'ethanol'
in triethanolamine
i took biology, not chemistry, but three ethanols in an amine group sounds deadly
at least as far as any practical bacteria or myco
enzymes are a different story, methinks
2-3 ml/gallon as a drench with or without nutrient
5 to 1 H2O/SM-90 ratio for a spray
i'd run the enzymes without it, just to be on the safe side.....

C6H6

theres not concern for it being hazardous expecially at 5% by volume. google MSDS Triethanolamine, that will fetch the Materials Saftey Data Sheet for this compound and its pretty benign, though all bets are off it you decided to drink it.
as far as its function id say that it probably has to do with Ph stabilization of some kind judging from the 3 exposed OH groups on the ethanol groups, which will freely donate a hydrogen atom. im willing to bet that it was added because one or more of the other ingredanse is more basic and the TEA(triethanolamine) is used to counter act bringing the Ph back ot neutral. why not use some other chemical to stabilize the Ph other then TEA? well because its an amine that means that there is a nitrogen present and in this case the Nitrogen is located directly in the center with the three ethanol groups shooting out from it. nitrogen is very happy with three single bonds and wants to remaine that way. so in commercial application that means that the compound, wont degrade creating unwanted by products and possiable unwanted interactions (ie killing your plant) and #2 its stable and inert. it wont interact because all the atoms present are happy and want to remaine that way.

grobart

SM-90

SM-90

I got a "D" in chemistry in college. My idiot advisor suggested I take it again the next semester so that my second grade would replace the first for my gpa calculation. I got an "F" the second time around. Needless to say, my chemistry book had the misfortune of replacing a target for expansion testing .223 hollow points. I am now a lawyer in California - shows what state school advisors know.

Basically, that is a long winded way of saying I don't know what the hell all of that OH and ethanol and amine crap is.

All I know is that I use SM-90 in a modified DWC with every single res change. It works just like Hydrogen peroxide, without the burning foaming death that Hydrogen peroxide brings.

The first time I used SM-90, I noticed a near instant (<24 hrs) increase in the health of my roots. It eliminated some of the little flying bastards that were camped out around the base of the plant as well as dead roots.

In addition to SM-90, I use FloraNova (bloom & grow - depending), Floralicious bloom, calmag +, pro-tekt silica, and once or twice during flowering Liquid KoolBloom.

I have never noticed an adverse reaction, either in smell, feel, pH, or overall look of the plants or roots with any combination of the above nutes with SM-90.

Bart

Brastaman

i've heard of it being used to help fight off Powdery Mildew as a foilar spray. I wouldn't spray the stuff on my buds but....

D

dongle69

So I just got the scoop from Nutrilife (makers of sm-90).

SM-90 does not harm or kill beneficial bacteria or enzymes.

So products like Hygrozyme, Cannazym, and Hydroguard are good to go, as well as Mycorrhizal based products.

They said they ran tests so there you go...

aligee

Veteran
So is this sm -90 back on the shelf, in my part of cali there selling mm-2000 instead saying its the same different label, anyone else seen this?

ksac

dongle69 said:
So I just got the scoop from Nutrilife (makers of sm-90).

SM-90 does not harm or kill beneficial bacteria or enzymes.

So products like Hygrozyme, Cannazym, and Hydroguard are good to go, as well as Mycorrhizal based products.

Strange, the place I get my SM-90 from has this on their website:

"NOTE: SM-90 will inhibit beneficial bacterial colonization. If you are trying to promote bacteria growth in your garden, this may not be a desirable additive."

D

dongle69

aligee said:
So is this sm -90 back on the shelf, in my part of cali there selling mm-2000 instead saying its the same different label, anyone else seen this?

Yeah it is back on the shelves, but I had a store tell me the same thing because they didn't have the sm-90.
I don't think they are the same, but the link to the msds sheet is down on the Grotek site...

D

dongle69

ksac said:
Strange, the place I get my SM-90 from has this on their website:

"NOTE: SM-90 will inhibit beneficial bacterial colonization. If you are trying to promote bacteria growth in your garden, this may not be a desirable additive."

I guess they need to get the straight dope from the manufacturer instead of perpetuating a myth?

humble1

crazaer at overgrow 2.0
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Bet the Ice cream man tells ya you'll lose weight w/ a snowcone

Bet the Ice cream man tells ya you'll lose weight w/ a snowcone

dongle69 said:

And I follow all the charts telling me to feed up to 1800ppm because the fertilizer manufacturers tell me to do it.........

Ask anyone specializing in bacteria or fungi what a sudden introduction of alcohol would do. ethanol is alcohol.

I love SM-90, but until there's a link to an independent study that confirms their "data" regarding bacteria or fungi, I'm calling B.S. on that.

D

dongle69

humble1 said:
And I follow all the charts telling me to feed up to 1800ppm because the fertilizer manufacturers tell me to do it.........

Ask anyone specializing in bacteria or fungi what a sudden introduction of alcohol would do. ethanol is alcohol.

I love SM-90, but until there's a link to an independent study that confirms their "data" regarding bacteria or fungi, I'm calling B.S. on that.

You should call them and get the data before you shit on them in public...

rootfingers

Having had a serious fungus gnat problem for the past couple grows I have looked into all sorts of ways to get rid of them. They are near impossible to eradicate it seems but can be kept under control if one tries hard. I have tried: gnatrol - still currently using, it takes three weeks supposedly but after two they don't seem to be very worried, a layer of perlite - because I am in coco and it is watered daily the surface is always wet, the perlite picks up on this moisture and creates a nice new breeding ground for fungus gnats, sticky yellow traps - the gnats are attracted to the yellow color and stick to the adhesive covering it (think yellow fly paper) these work to kill the flying adults and also give you a good idea of how big the problem is, and sm-90.

It seems to me sm-90 doesn't really do much if you are looking to eradicate fungus gnats. I think the coriander oil is that nice smell you get and that is what disturbs the gnats temporarily. It does not kill fungus gnat larva though, and from what I have seen does little to interrupt the life cycle period. Just keeps them off the surface for a few days. <just what i figure from my experiences.

Sm-90 does seem to keep the roots a little happier and I also believe the surficant properties help more evenly distribute water/nutrients through my coco. I have not tested this, again, just noticed what seems to be.

full time daddy
Veteran
sm-90 took out my gnat prob..... rootfingers maybe you just did not use enuff? it dose ont take out the ones flying but it sure as hell took out there breeding ground's and laid off the larva.... i would try again and double up the dose this time??? or maybe try multi dose's .....

dongle69 i call BS on who told you this as well... i will call monday too find out my self thx for letting me know it's back on the shelf here in cali i will get my hydrostore stcoked back on it.. i was bum'd when it was taken off and had to order it from outa state

Use Nutrilife SM-90 to prevent or treat bacteria, fungus and insect problems. SM-90 is prepared from natural plant oils - the organic composition of SM-90 is biodegradable and non-toxic to humans, animals and plants!

SM-90 is a good product to use from day one with your plants to keep them healthy and pest / disease free. Use as a foliar spray or root feed in both soil and hydroponics gardens.

Root Disease: SM-90 inhibits common anaerobic fungal and bacterial pathogens. Use for any root disease from ascomycetes pathogens including fusarium, pythium, rhizoctonia, phytopthera and sclerotinia. When added in small quantities to plant nutrient solutions, root disease infestations are inhibited and new root growth emerges. Treated plants develop greater root area and root runs and exhibit a generally healthier root development. Application rate: Apply 2 - 3 ml for each gallon of nutrient solution on a weekly basis.

Plant Infestations: Treat leaf or stem infestations by appying as a foliar spray. SM-90 eliminates many molds, mildew and leaf spot and is also effective for botrytis, blight, fusarium, leaf mold, rhizoctonia stem rot, sclerotinia stem rot and others. SM-90 also discourages and eliminates many common pests including aphids, thrips, spider mite, and whitefly. It is believed to act as a systemic to inhibit insect colonization and to deter reinfestation. Application rate: Mix 1 part SM-90 with 5 parts water. Spray directly on plant leaves and stems - be sure to spray entire plant as a prevention measure. Repeat every 3 days for up to 3 applications. Spray plants with water to prevent excess build during repeated applications.

An added benefit of SM-90 is an increase in metabolism and growth rate when used on a regular basis. A great choice for growers looking for a safe product to use on their consumable crops. Be sure to spray diluted solution within 8 hours of mixing. Keep away from sunlight.

NOTE: SM-90 will inhibit beneficial bacterial colonization. If you are trying to promote bacteria growth in your garden, this may not be a desirable additive.

Last edited:

whodi

Veteran
So if you use it in the rez it only benefits the roots?

Will it not help prevent bugs/mites unless used as a foliar spray?

Last edited: