What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best way to store large quantity for long term

tech1234

Ok guys here's the setup. Taking into account the conflicting ideas on the freeze/don't freeze question and all my online research and hands on research this is the setup I have developed.

This setup is designed for any outbuilding with 110v outlet in all except the most extreme climates. Great for barns, garage, well house, ect. Just place a freezer in the corner and pile junk on it. Hidden in plane sight.

In condition spaces (homes) a dedicated refrigerator would work

Objectives:
minimal handling or any bud abuse
lightly vac sealed
no light
low but not freezing temperature (45f)
no temperature swings

Items needed:
Chest freezer non defrost model
Lasko Electric My Heat Personal Heater
Inkbird Itc-308 Digital Temperature Controller 2 stage

If you can score a used freezer this setup is easily sub $150, and can hold 20 p's or more

Very simple, put heater inside freezer. box it out with some metal grating so there is a minimum 3" air gap between heater and vac seal bags. run the cord out the back of the lid. run temperature probe into freezer. plug the heater and the freezer into the 2 stage temp controller. plug controller into the wall. set controller for 45f. come back in a year. enjoy.

This setup is really great for the Maine, Michigan or any guys in freezing or very hot climates. cheap easy bulk climate controlled box that can be put at remote locations.

*disclaimer this idea was re-purposed from the home brew guys and thier diy beer fermentation chambers

the gnome

Veteran
I have bulk when i harvest and keeping it fresh and tasty can be a chore depending how fast it moves.
I found 5gal buckets with the omega lids and a couple 62%B humdity paks is Ideal.
i can average 2lbs per bucket and it doesn't compact or squeeze the flowers.
or you can bag it and keep it in the buckets if you choose.
it's completely air tight and safe from being squished.
i have a thread in this forum that has lots of details

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i use 5 gallon buckets, sometimes with turkey bags inside.... a 5 gallon bucket holds about 2-3 lbs for me.... more if you vac sealed them
keeps things protected, can get fancy lids for them, like screw off or airlock

DunHav`nFun

Well guys.....Gotta speak up from the voice of experience and say for short term curing and product preservation , the 5 gal buckets with gaskets stored in cool dry environment @ 55-60 degrees works well....

Any warmer or rather longer storage/cure times near ambient temps and 90% of dope cultivars will turn darker with age as chlorophyll degrades and totally leaves each plant after certain amounts of time all of which is strain dependent but I digress....

The only way and I mean ONLY without all that fancy bullshit nitrogen injection inert gas for God only knows how much those toys cost , is just as that fucked up fish above called it dead on....

FREEZE the shit.....I found a qp in my house freezer that was at LEAST 7 yrs old , and 10 mins out the glass jug it smelled exactly like fresh dried and cured , and once burnt the proof was in the pudding.....

Seeds for storage as well cuz it all goes into suspended animation , and for the record I just busted some old school beans that were froze for at least a decade , and once thawed out and dropped in a cup with tapwater and a drop of bleach , all 10 got tails in 24-48 hrs....

Freeze all dope for suspended animation standards....anything stored in ambient temps will degrade over time ....bet on it....how do I know ?.....Found an oz of Clone only Chem D in my gun safe couple years ago that was since `09 when I retired and was forgotten about....

Shit looked like redbud Columbian and didn`t have much smell or taste left , and all that know that bitch will testify she reeks when done right , right ?....but....5 yrs old it still kicked my ass....just waaaaay past it`s prime.....and lastly....

Freeze yo shit for long term....even if you lose some like I did....It`ll be just like it was when yas find it guaranteed...and...remember boys and girls.....Pot has 3 enemies of quality and potency.....Heat , Light , and Air....

Peace....DHF.....:ying:......

matt11

I have bulk when i harvest and keeping it fresh and tasty can be a chore depending how fast it moves.
I found 5gal buckets with the omega lids and a couple 62%B humdity paks is Ideal.
i can average 2lbs per bucket and it doesn't compact or squeeze the flowers.
or you can bag it and keep it in the buckets if you choose.
it's completely air tight and safe from being squished.
i have a thread in this forum that has lots of details

what he said

the gnome

Veteran
FREEZE the shit.....I found a qp in my house freezer that was at LEAST 7 yrs old , and 10 mins out the glass jug it smelled exactly like fresh dried and cured , and once burnt the proof was in the pudding.....

..Pot has 3 enemies of quality and potency.....Heat , Light , and Air....

actually low temp storage is really the one of best ways to do it if you have the means

thanx for the heads up DHF

btw
I keep all my trim in a freezer til i get around to messin with it
:smoke:

B

BAKED_BEANZ

oh thought we were talking about storing large amounts , sorry wrong thread .lol just jokes

tech1234

Well guys.....Gotta speak up from the voice of experience and say for short term curing and product preservation , the 5 gal buckets with gaskets stored in cool dry environment @ 55-60 degrees works well....

Any warmer or rather longer storage/cure times near ambient temps and 90% of dope cultivars will turn darker with age as chlorophyll degrades and totally leaves each plant after certain amounts of time all of which is strain dependent but I digress....

The only way and I mean ONLY without all that fancy bullshit nitrogen injection inert gas for God only knows how much those toys cost , is just as that fucked up fish above called it dead on....

Seeds for storage as well cuz it all goes into suspended animation , and for the record I just busted some old school beans that were froze for at least a decade , and once thawed out and dropped in a cup with tapwater and a drop of bleach , all 10 got tails in 24-48 hrs....

Freeze all dope for suspended animation standards....anything stored in ambient temps will degrade over time ....bet on it....how do I know ?.....Found an oz of Clone only Chem D in my gun safe couple years ago that was since `09 when I retired and was forgotten about....

Shit looked like redbud Columbian and didn`t have much smell or taste left , and all that know that bitch will testify she reeks when done right , right ?....but....5 yrs old it still kicked my ass....just waaaaay past it`s prime.....and lastly....

Freeze yo shit for long term....even if you lose some like I did....It`ll be just like it was when yas find it guaranteed...and...remember boys and girls.....Pot has 3 enemies of quality and potency.....Heat , Light , and Air....

And the freeze/don't freeze debate begins again... I definitely appreciate your personal experience on this as I've never had any long term tests like you but all my short term tests tell me don't freeze it. Someone needs to conduct a thorough long term scientific experiment!

B

BAKED_BEANZ

^^^ pissing myself laughing , good one brother .

i,m not sure whats more disturbing , the clip or the fact you found it .:)

Last edited:

DunHav`nFun

And the freeze/don't freeze debate begins again... I definitely appreciate your personal experience on this as I've never had any long term tests like you but all my short term tests tell me don't freeze it. Someone needs to conduct a thorough long term scientific experiment!

Pretty sure I did a thorough even if by accident "long term" observation first hand , and all the debate over the yrs has been from folks that had no way of actually knowing specific percentages of water left inside the frozen plant matter , and their findings said cell wall tissue and glands burst and were damaged , but again it`s always been with questionable water percentages left inside the nugs BEFORE feezing....

Properly dried and cured frozen dope will NOT burst glands or cell wall tissue and cause ANY damage to properly smokeable dope...I think almost 40 yrs of growing outside and in qualifies me to say my shit straight out the freezer is as bomb as it was when put in regardless of the length of time remaining frozen in suspended animation....anyways....

My 2 cents from all those yrs....and hey , no offense Tech , but why did your end results suck so bad as to never freeze again and allow ambient temps , light or air to degrade your shit ......and btw....

The baked beans clip was disturbing....:moon:.....

Peace....DHF.....:ying:.....

Last edited:

the gnome

Veteran
Properly dried and cured frozen dope will NOT burst glands or cell wall tissue and cause ANY damage to properly smokeable dope...I think almost 40 yrs of growing outside and in qualifies me to say my shit straight out the freezer is as bomb as it was when put in regardless of the length of time remaining frozen in suspended animation....anyways....

The baked beans clip was disturbing....:moon:.....

Peace....DHF.....:ying:.....

I have to agree, people, including myself have been putting Properly **cured dried** flowers in the freezer since the 70s without issue.

but DHF just brought up another Q which he may have answered.
does lower temps affect the curing process?
with the quality herb that we have today curing has become
an art in its self and some peeps draw out the curing process for 2-3-6 months, sometimes more.
so until the cure has taken place to the satisfaction of the curer
no need to put anything into deep freeze until that process is done with.

and yes... the baked bean ho is very disturbing

DunHav`nFun

I have to agree, people, including myself have been putting Properly **cured dried** flowers in the freezer since the 70s without issue.

but DHF just brought up another Q which he may have answered.
does lower temps affect the curing process?
with the quality herb that we have today curing has become
an art in its self and some peeps draw out the curing process for 2-3-6 months, sometimes more.
so until the cure has taken place to the satisfaction of the curer
no need to put anything into deep freeze until that process is done with.

and yes... the baked bean ho is very disturbing
Good point Gnomester , and I`ll tryta give as an objective answer as possible when final finished product preference is as subjective as it gets....now....

As much as I`d liketa tell all there`s a formula for "curing" to a certain point after dried "smokeable" product`s ready for consumption to make it as good as an individual strain can get......but.....

The sad answer is there`s only hearsay , conjecture , and at best individual personal "opinion" about how "they" make their shit the best it can be....and why....?....

Until someone , ANYONE can give proof positive from laboratory results that fresh cured and dried ready for market dope is made "better/more potent/better tasting rather than "smoother tasting" which occurs as chlorophyll`s degraded over several months time in sealed containers but in cool to ambient temps in dark surroundings , I call BS......IOW....

Supposedly , chemical reactions occur as THC `s degraded or rather since folks don`t liketa hear about THC degrading into other compounds , while terpenes are supposedly further developed that changes the original high/effect , "curing" again supposedly brings out the best smells and flavors over "X" amounts of time , I`ve just never seen it in 40+ yrs of smoking dope....and for the record...

My end results , even though I cropped and got rid of everything grown in rotations/cycles , I ALWAYS left the shit in 5 gal sealed gasket lid pickle buckets for 4-5 weeks because perpetual staggered plantings in flip rooms always harveyed 10 week cycles every 4-5 weeks with overlap , basically giving more product than needed for market , but allowed the buckets to evenly distribute all leftover moisture into the finished nugs.....

Once opened , they smelled exactly as they did when put in BUT....all nuggage had that spongy , truly homogenized feeling perfect for burning and storage with no fear of mold.....anyways....IME....

Freeze yo shit......if yas got more than yas need and want it to stay the way it is with no effects from heat , light , and air....

Peace....DHF.....:ying:....

Dkgrower

Veteran
oh thought we were talking about storing large amounts , sorry wrong thread .lol just jokes

LoL i second that motion and the freezer its the most stupid stash location..

200L blue drums are very good since they can take all weather conditions n you can stash it outside with no problem you can get some that can stay underwater for years with out any problem :biggrin:

Also curing when growing large amounts is equal to the time it takes to sell it, i used to ship it all after it was dried n bagged n the guys that get it do the curing..

Newer grow more than what you can smoke n sell why stock it you can just make some more when u have the power to push more,

Latest posts

Latest posts