What's new

snow peas...

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
anyone else love them like me ????? they aint cheap either going for 5$ a lb here....I used a chair with wheels,, put a double layer of plastic making a grow bag,and tied fencing around on 3 sides making a vertical screen that can be rolled wherever...I eat a lot of them right off the vines....yeehaw...not having to bend over for early training is a bonus

barnyard

"snow peas"? actually, I prefer it warm and sunny trout.

I love snow peas to, fresh of the vine in the morning. Or how about how about eating the vine? Dwarf Grey Sugar garnish peas cultivated in seed trays makes for some tasty tendrils and are an easy winter crop.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
well theres no actual snow here at my pad....san diego....never eaten the vine...but I love the peas...I will try the vine when opportunity arises....yeehaw

blastfrompast

Veteran
If you have some spare lights you can grow them or sugar snap peas on lattice on your basement outta a couple rubbermaid bins... I did it a couple winters inside for my wife like that, once they are bumpin I was getting a bowl every 2 days.....just keep weaving the new vines up and down....and they will just keep producing I found...

I would keep them going for 4-5 months till I could plant outside or till my wife got completely sick of eating and blanching and freezing...

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
theres no real winter here in san diego as far as I am concerned..I can grow outside and greenhouse year round....yeehaw

barnyard

SD is honey heaven trout. The largemouth out of otay reservior aren't bad either, but its been like 33 years since I've fished there.

St. Phatty

Yes, I just visited them.

Growing in the garden :woohoo:

Everything else is under 6 inches of wet snow. But the peas are still green - so far.

Good to eat too. :tiphat:

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
otay is real low as most lakes ..I used to fish there all the time..now I do saltwater in my kayak mostly..Coronado,the bays and la jolla mainly....yeehaw..no snow in my yard....as soon as the wind and high surf subside I am back out there looking for my halibut and anything else worth eatin...at 24.99 a lb I mainy want the halibut tho..my peas have hit the screen finally and are starting to take off..wont be long

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
yeehaw...the fencing is about 7 ft high and folds over at the top for extra stability and more peas...the chair swivels too....easy training and portable...

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
their flowering ..wont be long ..snow peas so sweet and crunchy..only half make it to the table as the others get eaten off the vine...yeehaw..they are smaller than usual due to overwatering I believe and waiting too long to up the n when soil was depleted...hope they perk up some..

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
first 2 peas forming..flowers are slowly popping up..shouldn't be long before full production is happenin....yeehaw

Gotta get a camera as I don't want any gps attached to my phone, but I put my peas in 2nd week of November and the first ones started flowering last week Sunday. They've all got flowers on them now and are about 3.5 ft high. I've got a crapload in and I use a bunch of string between poles for a lattice work.

I figured even a good frost wouldn't harm em - we ended up having a freeze but they stood up like champs. Soils very sandy here (go figure), so i dug a 3 inch deep trench, filled it with good cow manure and planted them in that and so far no problems with lack of nitrogen.

Only issue is they took a lot longer to flower than i figured they would, but coming from New York where I would plant last week of May and start harvesting in July, my guess is having a lot less daylight having only 10 hours or so was the issue, compared to the 15 hours of sun they were getting in Buffalo.

Either way, I'm about 10-14 days off until I can start harvesting, so it'll be pea city around here soon.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I got lots of baby peas forming..easy training too..not as tall as expected due to overwatering and under nuting...yeehaw,,,I like my design too and will be making more..as soon as I find some chairs...lol

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
it keeps it off concrete..aways from dog and most pests ,is portable ..makes training and adjusting for maximum sunlight easy.....yeehaw...it was a stoned creation....did my lettuce run already ..waiting for three moms to flower and make seed for next lettuce run...

Apache Kush

what up trout just saw this thread, hell yeah snow peas are low maintance and r bomb

Im doing a run outside next weekend

which is a little late because this time last year i had them already making peas in Feb/Mar ops

picture.php

they need/like to climb things like you set up nice work...

Betterhaff

Veteran
One of my favorite ways to cook snow peas is to steam them. Once they start to puff they’re done, you don’t want to overdo it.

Latest posts

Latest posts