What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A new way to PH down, omit acid.

tiffa

My tap water is 6.8 to 7 so I have to PH down. I use Phosphoric acid. Because of this I use a rez (and blumats). But I don't like the heat issues especially in summer, the faff and work required, the crazy amounts of acid needed.

I'd love to water straight from a hose, highly oxygenated cool water. I was thinking of pipeting/injecting acid into the hose flow into the trays the plants stand in.

Then lately I've been thinking of a much more simple method, a layer of peat (4-5ph) on top of the coco might be enough to counter the higher PH tap water, getting rid of my need for reservoirs and acid altogether.

Also some nice amendments can be added to the peat to increase the micro herd and hence PH modifying abilities while still having mainly coco as the substrate and it's benefits - Anyone had similar thoughts/experiments?....I might just try it!

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
An r/o filter is much simpler and you'll find many, many, many uses for the clean water besides hydro. ;)

The upside to switching to r/o filtered water is you'll only have to learn hydro one more time. You'll want to analyze your feeding regimen and see if it's been shy on calcium all this time, and you'll need pH up instead of down. ;) What you'll get is easier growing and usually higher end quality. :)

starke

An r/o filter is much simpler and you'll find many, many, many uses for the clean water besides hydro. ;)

The upside to switching to r/o filtered water is you'll only have to learn hydro one more time. You'll want to analyze your feeding regimen and see if it's been shy on calcium all this time, and you'll need pH up instead of down. ;) What you'll get is easier growing and usually higher end quality. :)

This advice is on the money. I fought 7.0 to 7.6ph/.2-.3ec well water for two years running Hempy Bucket hydro. Always decent results but always a mystery deficiency here or there with each grow.

With RO my starting ec is 0 and the ph is 6.4 - 6.6. Add my Jacks and the ph is 5.6 - 5.8 - on the money. Have not had to use my GH phosphoric acid ph down since switching.

tiffa

Yeah, thanks for the advice.
So you want me to spend thousands on installing an RO unit that will take up tones of space, use consumables like salt and electricity, needing to add calcium and loads of extra work to end up with room temperature water with a similar PH to what I have already that won't solve the problem?

errrrm lemme think about that will yer? ...I might just try a bit of peat on top of my pots first haha.

Last edited:

Douglas.Curtis

Yeah, thanks for the advice.
So you want me to spend thousands on installing an RO unit that will take up tones of space, use consumables like salt and electricity, needing to add calcium and loads of extra work to end up with room temperature water with a similar PH to what I have already that won't solve the problem?

errrrm lemme think about that will yer? ...I might just try a bit of peat on top of my pots first haha.
You might want to try a minute or two of research next time.

An r/o unit is generally around $100, takes up very little space, and usues no electricity unless you need a booster pump. In the end you will have CLEAN water with the same pH as your tap water, but it will have zero effect on the pH changes which should be happening.

Did you come here to learn? If so, I would suggest working on absorbing the information being presented.
:tiphat:

tiffa

You might want to try a minute or two of research next time.

An r/o unit is generally around $100, takes up very little space, and usues no electricity unless you need a booster pump. In the end you will have CLEAN water with the same pH as your tap water, but it will have zero effect on the pH changes which should be happening.

Did you come here to learn? If so, I would suggest working on absorbing the information being presented.
:tiphat:

You say "the same pH as your tap water" Which is all I want to change:dance013:..I'll learn if you read, deal?

tiffa

Just to simplify, I'm using CRF pellets as feed, how could you water coco straight from the tap if the tap water is 6.8/7ph?...I realise there is no standard current method so I'm looking for innovative ideas.

tiffa

This advice is on the money. I fought 7.0 to 7.6ph/.2-.3ec well water for two years running Hempy Bucket hydro. Always decent results but always a mystery deficiency here or there with each grow.

With RO my starting ec is 0 and the ph is 6.4 - 6.6. Add my Jacks and the ph is 5.6 - 5.8 - on the money. Have not had to use my GH phosphoric acid ph down since switching.

That's really helpful and fascinating valuable info thanks! No acid needed brilliant. I wish I could evolve a method whereby I can water straight from the tap though with CRF pellets in coco, and by GOLLY I will (one day)

unnamedmike

You say "the same pH as your tap water" Which is all I want to change
dance013.gif
..I'll learn if you read, deal?

In the end you will have CLEAN water with the same pH as your tap water, but it will have zero effect on the pH changes which should be happening.

hi tiffa:tiphat: As Douglas.curtis tells you, the RO water acquires the ph of what it "touches", without carbonates it can not maintain its own pH, only with the CO2 in the air, the pH of the RO water decreases. My RO water has a pH of about 8 (I live near sea) but when I add the nutrients It drop to 5.7
I have tried to mix peat moss and cococoir, the peat moss ends up decomposing in organic matter, this made me much less aerated cococoir.
A common practice in acid freshwater aquariums, is to put peatmoss s in the filter to lower the pH, maybe it will help you do the same before using your tap water.

tiffa

That is good info thanks, but I use CRF pellets kidda

Last edited:

tiffa

hi tiffa:tiphat: As Douglas.curtis tells you, the RO water acquires the ph of what it "touches", without carbonates it can not maintain its own pH, only with the CO2 in the air, the pH of the RO water decreases. My RO water has a pH of about 8 (I live near sea) but when I add the nutrients It drop to 5.7
I have tried to mix peat moss and cococoir, the peat moss ends up decomposing in organic matter, this made me much less aerated cococoir.
A common practice in acid freshwater aquariums, is to put peatmoss s in the filter to lower the pH, maybe it will help you do the same before using your tap water.

I'll still have warm room temperature RO water though that requires 'arseing' about and work, plus I don't add liquid nutes as you assume, I use CRF pellets as I mentioned earlier, Sorry but you haven't read properly either have you? Are you dingalings related? haha

Last edited:

unnamedmike

I'll still have warm room temperature RO water though that requires 'arseing' about and work, plus I don't add liquid nutes as you assume, I use CRF pellets as I mentioned earlier, Sorry but you haven't read properly either have you? Are you dingalings related? haha

Any liquid synthetic fertilizer is "CRF pellets" diluted in water. I think you're the one who has to read more. :tiphat:

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
WTF. Is this some alternate reality thread. Where we cross the I's and dot the T's, but it's basically just the same.

I really wouldn't worry about it. I have been to the next dimension, and all your plants are dead anyway. You forgot to feed them.

Maybe you should have just mixed peat and coco together instead of just expecting some peat top dressing to become more then it is- no different than pellets being injected into your water line. Someone forgot about the kiss method, or just ignored it all together. Millions of gardeners grow many crops in coir and I'll be the first to say that you are not going to be setting any example's other than bad ones. If you want a media that is going to have the effect that you want, it'd be better to just use peat in the first place.

WTF. Is this some alternate reality thread. Where we cross the I's and dot the T's, but it's basically just the same.

I really wouldn't worry about it. I have been to the next dimension, and all your plants are dead anyway. You forgot to feed them.

Photos or it didn't happen lol

Douglas.Curtis

Your attitude sucks, I've seen this before, welcome to my ignore list. There are quite a few people on here who are dedicated to helping growers pick up the information they need, and they have no use for your type.

I wish you luck on here. :tiphat:

J-Icky

This thread is hilarious, sorry but the idea that water running through peat for maybe one second will change the ph of water going into coco is just absurd. Thinking that the half second contact with peat is gonna have the same effect as a strong acid is one thing, but to think that’s a good idea and then treat everyone trying to help you like they’re the idiots is exactly why you’ll deserve what’s gonna happen to your plants.

You sound like a real ass hat man. People are taking time to help you out.
Why don’t just use a peat based mix if you your so set on it?

Latest posts

Latest posts