Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Indoor Grows - Soil > HARVEST - How to dry properly

Thread Title Search
Click for great deals at MB Ferts
HARVEST - How to dry properly Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-25-2019, 11:39 AM #31
Frosty Nuggets

Frosty Nuggets is just really niceFrosty Nuggets is just really niceFrosty Nuggets is just really niceFrosty Nuggets is just really niceFrosty Nuggets is just really niceFrosty Nuggets is just really niceFrosty Nuggets is just really niceFrosty Nuggets is just really niceFrosty Nuggets is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Green View Post

Do not leave the rootball attached...
Why?
Frosty Nuggets is offline Quote

Old 06-25-2019, 12:50 PM #32
TychoMonolyth

TychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivor
Hanging the plant upside down simply makes it easier to trim. That's it. You won't be leaching extra thc into your buds. That's a myth every 14 year old believes.

As for keeping the root ball attached, do it once and you'll know. lol.
The dirt from the root ball will contaminate your bud in a big way and you'll be cursing every time you smoke a joint. Been there, done that stupid move.

Just do like everyone else. Dry your bud on racks, or hang your branches on lines or coat hangers and pay attention to it. You can chop the plant at the stalk and hang that, but that's too much trouble for me, takes up a lot of space and dries so slow it's prone to mold (in my climate). I hand buck my plants in the field into hockey bags, trim at HQ and dry on racks.
- John Lennon

---
Silverback's Threads: the Complete Collection
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=299104

Julian's Massive Outdoor Grow thread
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=62895

------------
TychoMonolyth is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-25-2019, 01:42 PM #33
I'mback

I'mback has much to be proud ofI'mback has much to be proud ofI'mback has much to be proud ofI'mback has much to be proud ofI'mback has much to be proud ofI'mback has much to be proud ofI'mback has much to be proud ofI'mback has much to be proud ofI'mback has much to be proud ofI'mback has much to be proud ofI'mback has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by TychoMonolyth View Post
Ah.... they say once you try it, you never go back.

It MUST be frost free freezer. Put your bud in a cardboard box, leave it open, and your weed dries via sublimation

There's a great thread on it
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=186222

Read the article good stuff. Thanks

I have read most of the thread and have seen many folks struggling with ambient conditions when they are drying. My Q is... how do you control your ambients when growing? Do the same thing! Easily done if you dry in your tent and, if not drying in your tent, set up your drying room with the necessary equipment to control temp and RH. Even she likes slow and easy, not necessarily a quicky!

“The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience,

but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.”

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest
the crotch of the person who screws up your day and,
may their arms be too short to scratch...

I'mback is online now Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-25-2019, 05:25 PM #34
F2F

F2F has a spectacular aura aboutF2F has a spectacular aura aboutF2F has a spectacular aura aboutF2F has a spectacular aura aboutF2F has a spectacular aura about
Basements are usually good (mine runs ~60% RH so it works great).

My recommendation is keep it simple.

Leave branches longer for lower ambient RH where u dry (slows the drying process), cut them shorter for higher ambient RH conditions (speeds the process).

Cool basements work great. Hang branches across some fishing line or clothes line.

Hang dry till the buds just start to snap off then jar up ( hygrometer inside helps until you have the touch) and burp 1-2X per day until RH stabilizes at ~ 62% (my preference)

Pro Tip 😜:

If you've a super stinky strain and require stealth, or have very high RH try this. Use Dry Rite or Damprid packs in bottom of sealed container (storage bin, 5 gal bucket). Hang branches/buds above the packs. Place hygrometer inside. Seal with the lid. Vent 1x per day, checking RH on hygrometer. As the RH starts to drop and branches/buds get closer to snapping, remove some of the packs u til you get to your target RH. I've dried SKUNKY buds in the house this way, had to carry them outside far from house to vent each evening, but they were ready to jar in like 7-9 days.
F2F is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:39 PM #35
xxPeacePipexx

xxPeacePipexx is a glorious beacon of lightxxPeacePipexx is a glorious beacon of lightxxPeacePipexx is a glorious beacon of lightxxPeacePipexx is a glorious beacon of lightxxPeacePipexx is a glorious beacon of lightxxPeacePipexx is a glorious beacon of lightxxPeacePipexx is a glorious beacon of lightxxPeacePipexx is a glorious beacon of lightxxPeacePipexx is a glorious beacon of lightxxPeacePipexx is a glorious beacon of lightxxPeacePipexx is a glorious beacon of light
I just recently found old photos from 91 of my first actual harvest and it got me thinking about this all and how I didn't have the internet or anyone to tell me what is best. I took my knowledge of drying herbs and the rest became pretty simple as it is a lot more like air curing tobacco even though most people jar their flowers at a preferred moisture content which I feel isn't always achieved by this typical stem snap many people follow. I'd rather have 15% water content beginning this so called "cure" then being on the lower end of 10% , especially when air curing and aging thin leaf types and other less dense types of flowers. Humidity may vary, but it is the most important thing in the process and I believe that no matter what, chances are that you will have mixed results do to the variables finding out that a lot of the typical things that you have read or heard of don't often explain how it really depends upon the flowers at hand as well as plant and branch size if cut up while wet. So many variables and no two plants will dry exactly the same.

Manidoo Seeds - Capturing the Spirit of Star Plants from around the world in Spirit Seeds bringing medicine to the people.

xxPeacePipexx is online now Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:08 PM #36
TychoMonolyth

TychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by F2F View Post

Leave branches longer for lower ambient RH where u dry (slows the drying process), cut them shorter for higher ambient RH conditions (speeds the process).

Cool basements work great. Hang branches across some fishing line or clothes line.

Hang dry till the buds just start to snap off then jar up ( hygrometer inside helps until you have the touch) and burp 1-2X per day until RH stabilizes at ~ 62% (my preference)

Pro Tip 😜:

If you've a super stinky strain and require stealth, or have very high RH try this. Use Dry Rite or Damprid packs in bottom of sealed container (storage bin, 5 gal bucket). Hang branches/buds above the packs. Place hygrometer inside. Seal with the lid. Vent 1x per day, checking RH on hygrometer. As the RH starts to drop and branches/buds get closer to snapping, remove some of the packs u til you get to your target RH. I've dried SKUNKY buds in the house this way, had to carry them outside far from house to vent each evening, but they were ready to jar in like 7-9 days.
My wife would cut my nuts off.

Old 06-25-2019, 09:43 PM #37
I'mback

I'mback has much to be proud ofI'mback has much to be proud ofI'mback has much to be proud ofI'mback has much to be proud ofI'mback has much to be proud ofI'mback has much to be proud ofI'mback has much to be proud ofI'mback has much to be proud ofI'mback has much to be proud ofI'mback has much to be proud ofI'mback has much to be proud of
... then you can become one of them LOL

“The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience,

but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.”

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest
the crotch of the person who screws up your day and,
may their arms be too short to scratch...

I'mback is online now Quote

Old 06-25-2019, 10:22 PM #38
AgentPothead
Just this guy, ya know?

AgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by F2F View Post

Pro Tip 😜:

Just be careful of basement drying, because basements tend to be where the most mold is in a house. If you know your basement isn't moldy though, good idea.
And honestly. My fuck ups turn to gold so much the thought of fuckin up don't even bother me. So I keep it auto when I'm stepping through a portal. I know that sounds strange but, strange beats normal.
AgentPothead is online now Quote

Old 06-25-2019, 11:18 PM #39
TychoMonolyth

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentPothead View Post
Just be careful of basement drying, because basements tend to be where the most mold is in a house. If you know your basement isn't moldy though, good idea.
Not to mention mold inducing.
- John Lennon

---
Silverback's Threads: the Complete Collection
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=299104

Julian's Massive Outdoor Grow thread
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=62895

------------

Old 06-26-2019, 05:03 AM #40
axle2u

axle2u is a jewel in the roughaxle2u is a jewel in the roughaxle2u is a jewel in the roughaxle2u is a jewel in the roughaxle2u is a jewel in the roughaxle2u is a jewel in the roughaxle2u is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by TychoMonolyth View Post
My wife would cut my nuts off.

ahaha......

axle
axle2u is offline Quote