What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

2019 Cherry Bomb

tcherno

IIRC, I began open pollinating CB at around F8. At that time, it was more like rogue-ing about 20%, but by F10-12 it was almost 'open'. Also, like to point out that when I began talking about it on OG in the early 2000's, the term open pollination was rarely (if ever) heard on a cannabis forum.

tcherno, I'll inquire around maybe I can find someone over the pond there who has CB. I gave Verdant Green some, but I'm not sure if he plans to run and make seeds. You might try hitting him up.

Thank you for your answer, it would really be a very good thing.

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Mr Greengenes: it would be nice if there would be a world distributor of your genetics, so people outside of USA could have a chance to try your Cherry Bomb.

funkyhorse, I hear you! People are starting to knock my door down. It's time I got serious about this seed making. Be assured, I'm not trying to hoard or be stingy in any way, I fully understand my responsibility to the community. I'm just not very professional!

Thanks tcherno, mexcurandero420 and ngakpa for your posts! I'm not trying to claim CB is a landrace, just pointing out that i used standard open pollination methods used by many plant breeders. People have pointed out that CB is 'stable' after so many generations of inbreeding. Breeders have had a lot of success using a male CB plant going into various select indica dominant cuts, and this makes sense (no pun intended) in a similar way that using a 'landrace' male sativa often works well going into a select indica cut. I think it's the 'stability' of the IBL or landrace (both have produced similar results for me) that takes the guess work out of selecting the male and sorting traits in future generations.

Mr. Greengenes

ICMag Donor
Veteran
picture.php

Pic of CB#4 of the seeds I got from GAS. It's a boy! I feel like I should pass out cannagars, only I don't really know how to roll 'em. :) He has real nice structure and cherry smelling stems. There's a few other boys too, flowering a few days later and maybe with less attractive structure. I may use their pollin too, haven't decided yet.

picture.php

Here's me hanging out in front of two CB females (clones from the first 3 I started) in a Los Angeles backyard. The plants are on a 4' high raised bed. They're only about 3' high apiece now. They would be twice as tall, but I've been applying PJJ (plant jiu jitsu) since they were small, so they're filling the space out nicely. They were planted in the ground from 20 oz cups on April 25th.

Just to make a point, I put absolutely NO amendments in the soil at planting time. Previously, there was a big clump of English Ivy, you can see it lower left. The homeowner/gardener pulled it all out, but some roots remained. I just left 'em. The holes I dug were barely bigger than the 20 oz cups rootball, so the babies had to work growing roots from the start. The soil is typical sandy LA soil, very low in most nutrients but drains well. The key to their fast growth is timely waterings, nothing more. Oh, maybe some good genetics too!

Green

Veteran
@ mr.greengenes- I think I use to surf with your doppelgänger identical brother who owned a boat. haha

keep up the good work

green

Mr. Greengenes

ICMag Donor
Veteran
ou look very fit, your eyes do not deceive.

We look forward to hearing from you, sir.

Well now, thats a very nice thing to say tcherno! I get a lot of exercise gardening, no doubt about it. I see from the picture that my autistic ass still has trouble making eye contact though, got to work on that.

Mr. Greengenes

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I am quite a bit behind your progress but I'm watering 'em boss.

Yes, well grayeyes I do have a bit of geographic advantage ya know! I've seen your pix, it seems to me you're doing damn well for your latitude.

grayeyes

???? Los Angeles is at. 34.05 lattitude. I''m in Anaheim at 33.83 lattitude. Loving these 80 degree days. Plants are too!

I think you said you sprouted around April 25th. I sprouted the bulk of them May 30th.

Can you explain "PJJ"?

Mr. Greengenes

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Oops, sorry there grayeyes for some reason I must have mixed you up with someone else in my old brain, I was thinking you were waaay up north.

Yeah, and mine are clones that I started as seedlings months ago so....

PJJ=Plant Jiu Jitsu! It's like jiu jitsu with people, the idea is to bend but not break! I'm huge on this technique. I recently had an epiphany about it concerning the structure of seedlings vs clones. If you look at a seedling, it arranges it's first 3-4 tiers of leaves so that they don't shade the previous set. That perfect symmetry is an attempt to position each leaf to absorb the most light. Put a clone next to it and you'll see a very different story. Clones don't 'know' how to best position themselves and most are beginning to shade lower leaves when they're less than 6 inches tall. I actually started this technique by accident when I was growing outside in San Juan Cap in '99. My roommate was concerned (his house) about the plants growing above the fence, so I was bending them down. First thing I noticed was a huge increase in watering needs and, a few days later, signs of nutrient deficiency.

If you think about the shadow a normal plant (clone or seedling) makes when you shine a light from directly above. If that plant is 3 feet tall, the shadow is probably a bit more than 1 sq. foot. If you were to tip the container and plant over 45 degrees, the shadow size will increase considerably (after the leaves level out), maybe as much as 150% on some plants. This is probably the one single most effective method for increasing yield other than genetics.

grayeyes

Thanks for the explanation Mr. Greengenes. About a week ago I flipped mine.

The sight of pink flowers is amazing. I had seen pictures but seeing it in the backyard is amazing!

Mr. Greengenes

ICMag Donor
Veteran
picture.php

Here's some Cherry Bomb plants in my friends yard in Los Angeles. Still vegging like champs even this far south.

In this same yard is a very nice Brandywine plant. Brandywine is Dungeon Vault Genetics up in NoCal. I liked their work so much I trialed it outdoors immediately. Doesn't work this far south. Set her out on 6/21 and still she immediately went into flowering.

On the GWF podcast, Frenchy (the hash expert) was telling me that outdoor cannabis can't be bred indoors. That made me begin questioning why various strains I've made seem to be the exception to that rule. I think one of the reasons Cherry Bomb and other strains I've made work well outdoors is that I've always used a 16/8 veg cycle. Plants that begin flowering at 15 hours daylight are the result of breeding with long day veg cycles, which many growers do use. Simple when you think about it.

grayeyes

Has anyone else noticed how CB leaves go from wide before flowering to very narrow?

Kinda like she is waking you up to what's coming.

Mr. Greengenes

ICMag Donor
Veteran
picture.php

Here's a pic from yesterday. The plants keep trying to get taller than the wall behind them, so I've been bending them like crazy. Another CB plant in a different spot in same yard is just beginning to show red pistils. I'll try to get a closeup of her soon.

Breadwizard

So it's started flowering? My folks outdoor "early" nepjams north of you in SLO County are just beginning to push pistils this week. Seems the CB is pretty early for it's start time!

grayeyes

Down here 12/12 daylight starts about Sept 24th or so. I used light dep so mine started sooner. Doesn't seem to hurry along flowering though. I still have weeks to go.

Smells wonderful.

Mr. Greengenes

ICMag Donor
Veteran
So it's started flowering?

Yeah Breadwizard, one of the CB's is just starting to show now. Our longest day is fairly short down here, so most other cannabis plants are well into flowering at this time. Anything in the LA area that is still putting on size is unusual.

Last time I grew CB outdoors in southern California was 1999. I didn't know as much about outdoor growing in this region then, so it's going to be fun to try to top the last run. The heaviest plant in '99 was 5.5 lbs., I think it should be easy to beat that weight if the genetics are still capable.

grayeyes

Both my green and red are in flower. The green one seems to be a bit slower to develop than the red. Probably about 2 weeks behind and much smaller but pretty bushy instead of tall and lanky.

The lanky one is in a 3 gallon pot is a little more than 4 feet tall. Watching that it doesn't peak over the fence back there.

I am growing the '78 not the other one.

Mr. Greengenes

ICMag Donor
Veteran
picture.php

Starting to show the red pistils.

picture.php

Very graceful leaves on this one, and red pistils.

picture.php

Mrs. Greengenes takes much better pix than I do!

picture.php

"Tina you fat lard! Come get your dinner!"