Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > ICMag Vendor Forums > Hydro Grow LEDs > Penetrator Quantum - R&D For a New Era in Lighting

Thread Title Search
Penetrator Quantum - R&D For a New Era in Lighting Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-24-2019, 12:11 PM #81
Kree73

Kree73 is just really niceKree73 is just really niceKree73 is just really niceKree73 is just really niceKree73 is just really niceKree73 is just really niceKree73 is just really niceKree73 is just really niceKree73 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroGrowLeds View Post
The inverse square law as most know it, applies to most lighting types; however point source lights are a bit different depending on whether or not you're using optics and how focused the optic is. For example lasers do not follow the traditional inverse square law. If they did, the beam would be 4x wider at 2' than it is at 1' and 9x wider at 3'. But that is not the case. LEDs with focused lenses are able to penetrate at levels that defy the standard version of the inverse square law because they work in a way that is similar (but still very different) to lasers, with a focused beam of light. LEDs that do not have a lens pretty much follow the inverse square law to a T.

LEDs are DC diodes. Power can only flow in one direction. The power supplies convert the AC current from your wall to DC. Aside of that, electrical engineering is my weakest area of study, so I'm not the best person to speak on such things.

Losses from heat are most notable in red LEDs, which account for 75% of the visible light emitted by our product. Green and Blue (or white which are phosphor-coated blue) can withstand much higher temperatures without losing brightness. Red LEDs on the other hand should be maintained below 125F, and if possible under 100F for optimal output.
So good penetration through the canopy . I would like enough money for a set of panels 1 for each wall and the ceiling .... I really would need sun glasses then lol

Despite passing my science and math , the laws and formula still make my brain hurt .

Well I still think you must be a clever person in just the understanding you have and the fact you put these together

Kree73 out
Kree73 is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-25-2019, 12:43 AM #82
HydroGrowLeds
Grow Light Guru

HydroGrowLeds is a glorious beacon of lightHydroGrowLeds is a glorious beacon of lightHydroGrowLeds is a glorious beacon of lightHydroGrowLeds is a glorious beacon of lightHydroGrowLeds is a glorious beacon of lightHydroGrowLeds is a glorious beacon of lightHydroGrowLeds is a glorious beacon of lightHydroGrowLeds is a glorious beacon of lightHydroGrowLeds is a glorious beacon of lightHydroGrowLeds is a glorious beacon of lightHydroGrowLeds is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kree73 View Post
So good penetration through the canopy . I would like enough money for a set of panels 1 for each wall and the ceiling .... I really would need sun glasses then lol
Side lighting can certainly be beneficial. Penetration has always been a strong suit of ours. Our first lights had the first 60 degree lenses ever to be used in grow lights for that purpose. They were later replaced with our X-Lens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kree73 View Post
Despite passing my science and math , the laws and formula still make my brain hurt .

Well I still think you must be a clever person in just the understanding you have and the fact you put these together

Kree73 out
I live for R&D, Math, Engineering and Science. Little excites me more than developing a new product or fine tuning what we already have for new crop types (like the spectral testing we are starting with OneHitDone).

Completed Penetrator LED Grow Journals

Email: Wholesale@hydrogrowled.com

Phone: 954-213-6763

Hours: Monday through Friday, 12pm - 5pm EST
HydroGrowLeds is online now Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-25-2019, 03:26 AM #83
HydroGrowLeds
Grow Light Guru

HydroGrowLeds is a glorious beacon of lightHydroGrowLeds is a glorious beacon of lightHydroGrowLeds is a glorious beacon of lightHydroGrowLeds is a glorious beacon of lightHydroGrowLeds is a glorious beacon of lightHydroGrowLeds is a glorious beacon of lightHydroGrowLeds is a glorious beacon of lightHydroGrowLeds is a glorious beacon of lightHydroGrowLeds is a glorious beacon of lightHydroGrowLeds is a glorious beacon of lightHydroGrowLeds is a glorious beacon of light
Every day I am working on this project I find myself going back to what made us different from everyone else back in 2009. Back then you had only a few options of LED Grow Lights, all of which featured PCBs that were loaded from one end to the next with LEDs like our first prototype:

We were the first company to develop light engines (clusters of LEDs) that were repeated across boards with space between clusters. We then used 60 degree lenses to compensate for the intensity difference of having a PCB loaded with 126 LEDs instead of (288) 120 degree LEDs.

The first concept image I posted to this thread was of a light that resembles most other "quantum board" type panels out there, but being like everyone else has never been my style. So in keeping with tradition I did a re-design today. I figured since this is a new grow light for a new era, why not have a new light engine to go with it? I introduce you to our new "PAR Board" Concept v2.0

Most "quantum boards" have 288 lense-less LEDs on a PCB that measures approximately 10.5 x 6.5" PCB with the LEDs occupying 9.5" x 5.5" of the board. This concept image features 2 boards instead of one, keeping in line with our modular design. Each board is 5.75" wide and 8.6" long with 6 light engines featuring 24 LEDs (144 per board). The two boards side-by-side cover 12" x 8.6" with the LEDs occupying about 7.8" x 11.2". This gives our 288 LEDs about 30% more surface area compared to generic "quantum boards". More surface area means a more even dispersion of light intensity and likewise heat, which will help keep operating temperatures lower.

Each PAR Board consumes about 38-40W of power, compared to 120-150W of power for a "quantum board". This is because red LEDs which comprise the majority of our spectrum, consume much less voltage than blue LEDs and therefore draw less watts. This means we will need more panels occupying more area to achieve the same watts as competing "quantum board" panels, but that also means we'll have more point-sources for a more even spread of PPFD over any area comparatively.

The light engine has been re-designed to illuminate a square area opposed to our iconic octagon pattern. The center LED has been removed from each engine to alleviate "hot spots" that develop at the center-most point of each engine. Each light engine measures 50mm x 50mm on center (almost 2" x 2").

The LEDs I am choosing are 3030 SMD with a 120 degree silicon lens, although I will be testing a prototype without the lens as well. I am almost certain I will stick with the lens for our production model over lens-less LEDs with a reflector, but we'll see how testing goes first. Lenses have always been my thing and I know from a decade of working with them, plus the data from those Osram LEDs, that lenses are the way to go for our prototype in the very least.

WORKING TOWARDS LOWER PRICING

I got a quote last night on my generic prototype design (not this) and was quite stunned by how high it was. I made the supplier provide a break-down of the costs, which allowed me to see where the problem areas were. After developing and manufacturing for 10 years, I'm very keen on what costs should be, what they can be, and what they shouldn't be. Let's just say there was room for significant reductions.

Almost everyone is using Meanwell or similar style in-line drivers for these types of lights. I'm not everyone. We have our own power supply that was developed in 2016 and has been fine-tuned in the years since. It powers up to 100W and can easily operate 2 PAR Boards. Our failure rate is less than 1 in 500 and using our driver can bring costs down substantially. What I will likely do is have a custom case developed for our driver for the production model so it can be used in-line like Meanwell.

Another key difference if we use our driver, is that it is an independent dual-channel driver, meaning if one half fails the other half keeps powering the second PAR board. Most "Quantum Board" models use a single power supply for up to 480W (4 boards). If that power supply fails, your entire light shuts down with it. As someone who developed my first lights for my own rooms, I know how devastating it can be to lose your light in the middle of a crop. Our lights are always designed to avoid that.

Last edited by HydroGrowLeds; 05-25-2019 at 03:44 AM..

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-25-2019, 03:33 AM #84
Big Perm

Big Perm has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroGrowLeds View Post
Every day I am working on this project I find myself going back to what made us different from everyone else back in 2009. Back then you had only a few options of LED Grow Lights, all of which featured PCBs that were loaded from one end to the next with LEDs like our first prototype:

View Image

We were the first company to develop light engines (clusters of LEDs) that were repeated across boards with space between clusters. We then used 60 degree lenses to compensate for the intensity difference of having a PCB loaded with 126 LEDs instead of (288) 120 degree LEDs.

View Image

The first concept image I posted to this thread was of a light that resembles most other "quantum board" type panels out there, but being like everyone else has never been my style. So in keeping with tradition I did a re-design today. I figured since this is a new grow light for a new era, why not have a new light engine to go with it? I introduce you to our new "PAR Board" Concept v2.0

View Image

Most "quantum boards" have 288 lense-less LEDs on a PCB that measures approximately 10.5 x 6.5" PCB with the LEDs occupying 9.5" x 5.5" of the board. This concept image features 2 boards instead of one, keeping in line with our modular design. Each board is 5.75" wide and 8.6" long with 6 light engines featuring 24 LEDs (144 per board). The two boards side-by-side cover 12" x 8.6" with the LEDs occupying about 7.8" x 11.2". This gives our 288 LEDs about 30% more surface area compared to generic "quantum boards". More surface area means a more even dispersion of light intensity and likewise heat, which will help keep operating temperatures lower.

Each PAR Board consumes about 38-40W of power, compared to 120-150W of power for a "quantum board". This is because red LEDs which comprise the majority of our spectrum, consume much less voltage than blue LEDs and therefore draw less watts. This means we will need more panels occupying more area to achieve the same watts as competing "quantum board" panels, but that also means we'll have more point-sources for a more even spread of PPFD over any area comparatively.

The light engine has been re-designed to illuminate a square area opposed to our iconic octagon pattern. The center LED has been removed from each engine to alleviate "hot spots" that develop at the center-most point of each engine. Each light engine measures 50mm x 50mm on center (almost 2" x 2").

The LEDs I am choosing are 3030 SMD with a 120 degree silicon lens, although I will be testing a prototype without the lens as well. I am almost certain I will stick with the lens for our production model over lens-less LEDs with a reflector, but we'll see how testing goes first. Lenses have always been my thing and I know from a decade of working with them, plus the data from those Osram LEDs, that lenses are the way to go for our prototype in the very least.

PRICING

I got a quote last night on my generic prototype design (not this) and was quite stunned by how high it was. I made the supplier provide a break-down of the costs, which allowed me to see where the problem areas were. After developing and manufacturing for 10 years, I'm very keen on what costs should be, what they can be, and what they shouldn't be. Let's just say there was room for significant reductions.

Almost everyone is using Meanwell or similar style in-line drivers for these types of lights. I'm not everyone. We have our own power supply that was developed in 2016 and has been fine-tuned in the years since. It powers up to 100W and can easily operate 2 PAR Boards. Our failure rate is less than 1 in 500 and using our driver can bring costs down substantially. What I will likely do is have a custom case developed for our driver for the production model so it can be used in-line like Meanwell.

Another key difference if we use our driver, is that it is an independent dual-channel driver, meaning if one half fails the other half keeps powering the second PAR board. Most "Quantum Board" models use a single power supply for up to 480W (4 boards). If that power supply fails, your entire light shuts down with it. As someone who developed my first lights for my own rooms, I know how devastating it can be to lose your light in the middle of a crop. Our lights are always designed to avoid that.
Wow, that is awesome. That was fast, too, lol.
Big Perm is online now Quote

Old 05-25-2019, 02:19 PM #85
HydroGrowLeds
Grow Light Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethimus View Post
Why did you get banned on RIU?

Perhaps you should be asking RIU that question? It was pretty obvious Sunni had a personal vendetta against me. She would stop at nothing to remove me from RIU from Day one I was back which she stated publicly. She released her "troll army" onto any thread I posted and allowed anyone to violate the site TOS as long as they were only defaming and harassing me, not anyone else. She even took part in it herself. Rather than RIU cleaning up their mess or enforcing their TOS, and despite the fact they had a contract with me stating I couldn't be banned, Sunni banned me anyways and they tried to cover it all up by deleting my threads as though I was never there and making sure as hell I couldn't call them out on it by being able to post. Same old bullshit, different year. Meanwhile our lights are doing exactly as claimed - growing killer lettuce and beating HLG in a side by side where the only advantage we have is spectrum. By the time the first round of tests are over, anyone at RIU who had a hand in chasing me off that forum is going to look like a complete fool. Results don't lie, and once you open Pandora's box you can't close it.

Old 05-25-2019, 02:25 PM #86
mr.brunch

mr.brunch is a survivormr.brunch is a survivormr.brunch is a survivormr.brunch is a survivormr.brunch is a survivormr.brunch is a survivormr.brunch is a survivormr.brunch is a survivormr.brunch is a survivormr.brunch is a survivormr.brunch is a survivor
There’s a reason it’s referred to as ‘troll it up’

And also the same reason many on ic only post on ic.

https://www.jackherer.com/thebook/

Originally posted by jimmy cliff:

Well they tell me ‘bout the pie up in the sky,
Waiting for me when I die
But between the day you’re born and when you die,
They never seem to hear even your cry.
So as soon as the sun
Will shine,
I'm gonna get my share of
What's mine.
And then the harder they come ,
The harder they fall,
One and all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post

Put out the joint, step away from the computer and go for a walk.

Mars hydro ts1000 test- https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=362526

csg triangle cheesedog x London church testers- https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=362387
mr.brunch is online now Quote

5 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-25-2019, 02:48 PM #87
Rab.C

I agree MrBrunch i went and checked out RIU to do a thread for HydroGrowLed.
my First post Trolls were there.and i wasnt there for the Drama just too grow

i read there is more traffic there.but Icmag is the best forum out there. because it's the members that make the forum.

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-25-2019, 03:46 PM #88
HydroGrowLeds
Grow Light Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rab.C View Post
I agree MrBrunch i went and checked out RIU to do a thread for HydroGrowLed.
my First post Trolls were there.and i wasnt there for the Drama just too grow

i read there is more traffic there.but Icmag is the best forum out there. because it's the members that make the forum.
Yes, in terms of having a group of people who are there to help you, build you up and be a support network for growers, ICMag is certainly #1. In terms of traffic and frequency of posts, RIU has IC beat by a decent margin. But there is absolutely no substitution for quality and a peaceful, positive atmosphere. It's a breath of fresh air being back here on ICMag. You guys rock.

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-25-2019, 04:10 PM #89
HydroGrowLeds
Grow Light Guru

Quote:
BS the side owner was not aware of your „past“, that’s all
You aren't aware of my real past, nor does it have anything to do with my LED lighting business. And contrary to your belief (you can't speak for the site owner of RIU), YES RIU most certainly knew who I was as I made it very clear when they emailed me asking me to become an advertiser there. I didn't ask them to join. That's also why they put in the contract they couldn't ban me and then violated their own contract. But of course, I'm still the devil in your eyes and no one else can do any wrong, right? The only "past" you know Sethimus is the false version perpetuated by all the trolls like Lukio that you're trying to perpetuate as well. But we all know there are two sides to every story, and yet rather than trying to educate yourself on the other side so you can make decisions for yourself, you choose to believe all the crap you read by people who hate me because I'm LGBT. A person with any amount of logic/reason/common sense would instead email me and say "hey, what's the deal with these stories?". I guess you could care less about the truth and prefer to stick to the "LGBT hate" bandwagon, as you've never emailed me asking for clarity, but here you are presuming to know something you don't.

So here's my past in the LED industry, because frankly that's all that matters: 2009 we released our first models. By 2010 we had bested HID and 3 different LED competitors in side-by-sides. By 2011 we were the #1 selling LED Grow Light in the world, selling millions of dollars in lights per year. We have been in business 10 years and got there by doing business the honest way, selling products that live up to their claims, and providing warranty service to our wonderful fan base. We still make and sell the #1 performing lights in the world, which current side by sides and stand alone tests are once again proving. We do more side-by-sides than any other manufacturer to prove our products/technology are the best in the world. So if you're choosing to judge me on anything other than performance in the LED industry, it's like saying Kim Kardashian is a porn star and disregarding her entire career as a model/tv celebrity because a sex tape she made with a boyfriend got released to the web 15 years ago. There's a reason it's called a past Sethimus - so you can move on with your life and get over it. I won't entertain any further questions on this thread relating to this topic as it has absolutely nothing to do with our new product development or business. Quit beating dead horses that decayed to bones and dust years ago...

Now here's my recent past (last couple months): Signed up to RIU, Gave away free lights to growers, setup multiple side-by-sides, then got booted in violation of my contract and came to ICMag. Gave away more free lights,set up more side by sides, and now am developing new lights. And what do you know? Our lights are living up to the claims. I've also been selling and shipping lights from our retail website during that time. Not sure how any of this makes me a "bad person" in your eyes, but hey we are all entitled to our own opinions, and right now the opinion of every single person growing with our lights is "damn these are awesome".

Last edited by HydroGrowLeds; 05-25-2019 at 04:25 PM..

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:48 PM #90
OneHitDone

OneHitDone will become famous soon enoughOneHitDone will become famous soon enough
Quote:
BS the side owner was not aware of your „past“, that’s all
Why are you here disrupting and continuing your same useless bs.
Honestly you are one of the most negative posters over on the other forum too. Rarely actually offering any real info or help to others. Always lurking in the shadows just waiting to take a cheap shot.
Now beat it TrollFace!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-04-25 at 9.11.49 AM.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	495112
OneHitDone is offline Quote