Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > ICMag Vendor Forums > Hydro Grow LEDs > Penetrator Quantum - R&D For a New Era in Lighting

Thread Title Search
Penetrator Quantum - R&D For a New Era in Lighting Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-29-2019, 05:20 PM #111
HydroGrowLeds
Grow Light Guru

HydroGrowLeds is a glorious beacon of lightHydroGrowLeds is a glorious beacon of lightHydroGrowLeds is a glorious beacon of lightHydroGrowLeds is a glorious beacon of lightHydroGrowLeds is a glorious beacon of lightHydroGrowLeds is a glorious beacon of lightHydroGrowLeds is a glorious beacon of lightHydroGrowLeds is a glorious beacon of lightHydroGrowLeds is a glorious beacon of lightHydroGrowLeds is a glorious beacon of lightHydroGrowLeds is a glorious beacon of light
Visual humans of earth, I give you our new external power supply concept:

While our prototype sample won't look exactly like this, it will look similar. This power supply enclosure measures 122mm wide (4.8") and 36mm high (1.4"). It can be extruded to any length, but this one is designed to hold a single power supply for 2 circuit boards. We will have longer models that hold 2 and 3 power supplies respectively (for 160W and 240W models).

As promised we have two power jacks on this device. One is for 110V input, and the other can be used with a special connecting cord that has a female end on both sides for daisy-chaining. In the center of the power jacks is a dimmer knob. On the opposite end of the power supply will be the output cord to the LEDs. If you can think of any other features or elements to add to this power supply, speak up now or forever hold your peace!

To service the power supply, the two upper screws on each end cap would be removed. The upper casing then lifts off, giving clear access to the power supply contained within. I haven't heard back yet if we can do dimming on this model, but hopefully will soon. The prototypes will not be dimmable.

Completed Penetrator LED Grow Journals

Email: Wholesale@hydrogrowled.com

Phone: 954-213-6763

Hours: Monday through Friday, 12pm - 5pm EST
HydroGrowLeds is online now Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:00 PM #112
OneHitDone

OneHitDone will become famous soon enoughOneHitDone will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroGrowLeds View Post
Visual humans of earth, I give you our new external power supply concept:

View Image
View Image

While our prototype sample won't look exactly like this, it will look similar. This power supply enclosure measures 122mm wide (4.8") and 36mm high (1.4"). It can be extruded to any length, but this one is designed to hold a single power supply for 2 circuit boards. We will have longer models that hold 2 and 3 power supplies respectively (for 160W and 240W models).

As promised we have two power jacks on this device. One is for 110V input, and the other can be used with a special connecting cord that has a female end on both sides for daisy-chaining. In the center of the power jacks is a dimmer knob. On the opposite end of the power supply will be the output cord to the LEDs. If you can think of any other features or elements to add to this power supply, speak up now or forever hold your peace!

To service the power supply, the two upper screws on each end cap would be removed. The upper casing then lifts off, giving clear access to the power supply contained within. I haven't heard back yet if we can do dimming on this model, but hopefully will soon. The prototypes will not be dimmable.
Gotta be dimmable and flicker free or supplier go bye bye
Also, not a heater in itself like that meanwell power supply @Big Perm posted in his hlg thread.
OneHitDone is offline Quote

Old 05-29-2019, 06:31 PM #113
HydroGrowLeds
Grow Light Guru

HydroGrowLeds is a glorious beacon of lightHydroGrowLeds is a glorious beacon of lightHydroGrowLeds is a glorious beacon of lightHydroGrowLeds is a glorious beacon of lightHydroGrowLeds is a glorious beacon of lightHydroGrowLeds is a glorious beacon of lightHydroGrowLeds is a glorious beacon of lightHydroGrowLeds is a glorious beacon of lightHydroGrowLeds is a glorious beacon of lightHydroGrowLeds is a glorious beacon of lightHydroGrowLeds is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneHitDone View Post
Gotta be dimmable and flicker free or supplier go bye bye
Also, not a heater in itself like that meanwell power supply @Big Perm posted in his hlg thread.
I want to make a few options on the power supply for how to use/mount it. I plan on using some nylon spacers to position the power supply about 5mm above the heat sink of the production units, so that heat does not transfer from the power supply to the heat sink. The same mounting positions I will add could also be used to screw the power supply into a wall to mount it, or you could suspend it in the air like the light itself. The last thing I want is all the engineering flaws of the HLG product lol. They did a great job of showing everyone else how you should NOT build a grow light.

I did just get word back that dimming may not be an option for the production model without a significant re-design of the power supply (which is ill advised at this point). I did ask for some more clarification from their engineers because I have other power supplies I have produced with them that use the same sized PCB for dimming and non-dimming models, because right now they're saying we'd have to increase the size of the PCB and more or less change everything. Hopefully we can figure it out in the next month or so without a massive re-design.

Old 05-29-2019, 06:39 PM #114
Leaflet

Leaflet has a spectacular aura aboutLeaflet has a spectacular aura aboutLeaflet has a spectacular aura about
How about making the power supply remote like some HID ballasts have, so it can be outside a tent and completely remove the heat factor?
Leaflet is online now Quote

Old 05-29-2019, 06:54 PM #115
OneHitDone

OneHitDone will become famous soon enoughOneHitDone will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaflet View Post
How about making the power supply remote like some HID ballasts have, so it can be outside a tent and completely remove the heat factor?
That is exactly what is being proposed
OneHitDone is offline Quote

Old 05-29-2019, 06:56 PM #116
HydroGrowLeds
Grow Light Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaflet View Post
My understanding of electricity is one of my weak points, but to my knowledge HID Ballasts are AC, while the output from LED drivers is DC. AC won the electricity race in the early 1900's because it could travel longer distances over cables with less "line loss", requiring fewer power substations to boost the signal. DC power sources have a much shorter range over cables.

I will ask my supplier who has several electrical engineers on staff, what the maximum recommended length is for the power output wires from the power supplies to the LEDs. I don't want line-loss to become an efficiency factor in these new lights. If I can make a 6' or 8' power cord that goes from the power supply to the LED lights without more than a 1-2% line loss, I will likely go that route. But I don't have enough data yet to make that decision. Would be great though if we can mount the power supplies outside of the grow environment to eliminate another source of heat.

Old 05-29-2019, 07:56 PM #117
Kree73

Kree73 is just really niceKree73 is just really niceKree73 is just really niceKree73 is just really niceKree73 is just really niceKree73 is just really niceKree73 is just really niceKree73 is just really niceKree73 is just really nice
Quote:
My understanding of electricity is one of my weak points, but to my knowledge HID Ballasts are AC, while the output from LED drivers is DC. AC won the electricity race in the early 1900's because it could travel longer distances over cables with less "line loss", requiring fewer power substations to boost the signal. DC power sources have a much shorter range over cables.

I will ask my supplier who has several electrical engineers on staff, what the maximum recommended length is for the power output wires from the power supplies to the LEDs. I don't want line-loss to become an efficiency factor in these new lights. If I can make a 6' or 8' power cord that goes from the power supply to the LED lights without more than a 1-2% line loss, I will likely go that route. But I don't have enough data yet to make that decision. Would be great though if we can mount the power supplies outside of the grow environment to eliminate another source of heat.
That is correct the ballast needs oscillation for the inductance . It's a part of the choking process and is gained by the fact that a.c. Is pulsating on and off at x cycles per sec . It means that a.c. Is best suited for that tech . However you can make a digital choke.

Cable has a voltage drop due to resistance . Depending on the cable type , sizing and installation method . The types of length / run where voltage drop is really required for a Mains voltage is in the 30-50 meters ( after this length , for sure volts drop need calculting). Voltage drop is still a factor to equate however no real difference in short runs . There are charts for cable types with run distance and voltage drop . As you said previously a.c. Was selected due to sizing for transmission cables and volts drop . The mm2 csa ( cross sectional area ) of the cables need to be dramatically increased in order to transmit d.c. Voltage over longer distances .
By product of a.c. Is the inductance as d.c voltage acts more like an electromagnet ( permanently on ) . In today's world tho we could create something similar to a Redstone repeater( for those who play Minecraft ) to boost a d.c signal ..... Alas with 99% of all domestic and commercial equipment / buildings using a.c. We need just invert / convert . Generally you could probably use leads in the meters of length . Let's see what the experts say .

Kree73 out
Kree73 is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-29-2019, 07:59 PM #118
Kree73

Kree73 is just really niceKree73 is just really niceKree73 is just really niceKree73 is just really niceKree73 is just really niceKree73 is just really niceKree73 is just really niceKree73 is just really niceKree73 is just really nice
Quote:

Have you thought about Wi-Fi or Bluetooth switching?
Kree73 is offline Quote

Old 05-29-2019, 08:16 PM #119
HydroGrowLeds
Grow Light Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kree73 View Post
Have you thought about Wi-Fi or Bluetooth switching?
Holy crap re: your previous post. Thank you for sharing with us a much more in-depth explanation of electricity! I passed my intro to electrical engineering course with an A but still don't understand it as well as you do lol!

No, I'd rather stay away from adding more and more parts/functions that can fail or cause troubleshooting nightmares. I've worked with wifi/bluetooth in the past and the amount of calls or emails I would get to troubleshoot a finicky controller just weren't worth it to me. I want people to have a reliable product with as few failures/issues as humanly possible. Plus it adds extra cost to the unit, and honestly I don't think many people would use the functionality even if the light had it. Perhaps I could make it an option (?), but that would come after production begins.

Oh yeah, here is a semi-rendered internal shot showing how this enclosure is built:

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-29-2019, 10:02 PM #120
CannaRed
Cannabinerd

CannaRed has a brilliant futureCannaRed has a brilliant futureCannaRed has a brilliant futureCannaRed has a brilliant futureCannaRed has a brilliant futureCannaRed has a brilliant futureCannaRed has a brilliant futureCannaRed has a brilliant futureCannaRed has a brilliant futureCannaRed has a brilliant futureCannaRed has a brilliant future
Quote:
Would be great though if we can mount the power supplies outside of the grow environment to eliminate another source of heat.
Hell yeah!
CannaRed is offline Quote