What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cannabis Seed Storage

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Get you one of those food containers that seal at Wal-Mart. I didn't pay much and it will hold a lot if needed.

romanoweed

i heard the same for a CHEAP AND EASY TO BUY SOLUTION

i too lately heard These Food Containers, the ones with rubber between, were Holding Pollen for 7 Years viable!
I think i will also take this cheap solution.
I wanna also seal it with Silicon extra. Silicon should be waterresistent, i think should be Airresistent too? Atleast there is no extra danger in it..

I will add Risecorns just 1 third of the amount of Seeds . Should be about the right Amount, no?

q3corn

I've only been storing my seeds in plastic bags in a tote. Always in a dry place, but sometimes it would get in the 80's in the summer. I thought so long as the seeds were kept dry they'd be ok for a while. Now that I've read through this thread, I'm wondering if I messed up some by storing that casually.

I just threw some of my oldest beans, which are about 5 years old, into some paper towels to try to germ, to test if I messed up or not. My seeds from the last 2 years are the ones I'm sprouting regularly, and they're doing fine. But this made me a little nervous. So I'm gonna try to reassure myself that I didn't mess up.

With that being said, if I plan on keeping these seeds for 10+ years, should I just change to an airtight container? Or is the 2nd step of putting them in the fridge that important. I can't guarantee that they'll be kept under 80F all the time, so maybe the fridge is the best choice... What do you guys think?

romanoweed

I have to correct my Plans

today i was going to buy Silicon. And i found out its probably a bad Idea. CAUSE this Bathroom-Silicons were all containing FUNGIZIDE AND CHLOR . This may be very risky if they enter the Container.. So, more possible Risk than Advantage. I didnt buy it .

I just have my definitive Cheap and easy Solution

- Go to your next big Store, try out this Foodcontainers directly in Store trough pressing Air out while closing them.. Then open them after one Minute. Some hold the Air for this Duration, you can hear a Airsuction-Sound. I found two models where the Airsuction was nearly same after a Minute then after a couple Secounds. Im confident. Bought two instead to minimize risk of one leaking.

- You can extra wrap seeds tightly in Thin-foil i read , someone had good Results! I just would probably try to wrap the Foil around some Spaceholder out of plastic NOT CADBOARD(cause moisture) to conceal a certain amount of Air SINCE i hear some saying tightly packed is not good, and some others say to much Air is not good, i will go for the middle.

Happy reproducing!

romanoweed

oh, stupid Question: did any one wrap Seeds sucessfully in Aluminium-Foil or was it Plastic? I seem to misstook the Word Tin-Foil. I googled the word now and saw alluminium instead suspected/misstranslated thin plastic foil..

I think i rather use plastic anyway, no?

OOH and i read exactly now , if you place Platic-foil into freezer it wouldnt hold together nomore. They say the static Friction wouldnt stay in These Temperatures. Sounds like my desired Effect of plastic-fol wouldnt work nomore then. Mammamia.
What should i doo. I just have TupperWare, enough?

Just wrap it tight, then duct tape..

Veggia farmer

Bradley_Danks

bdanks.com
Veteran
Anybody have problems storing seeds in a mini fridge? I am kind of nervous about storing seeds in a mini fridge compared to a standard full size fridge. It seems like mini fridges can frost up, hold moisture, and have fluctuating temps. If the seeds are stored in an airtight container like a mason jar im guessing that might not be a problem though but not sure so wondering if someone with experience can speak on it.

herbgreen

Veteran
mini fridge is kept cold by the freezer

temp by freezer is colder than lower down

use digital thermometer keep eye on it

keep tray under the freezer in case defrost

use water tight containers desiccants

make sure the temp where your seeds are match what you want

acespicoli

I have used a mini fridge in a lab for many years once it becomes unpredictable it would need to be repaired or replaced there are some good repair videos on youtube.

The foil hermetic bags im not comfortable using maybe if you have huge lots of bulk seed to store they would be a option though. I would keep them in a water tight container as well

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
You want silica packs inside a les parfait locking jar inside a fridge around 2-5 Celcius..

Les parfait make the best glass locking jars and none cannabis seedbanks use them for this reason.

Im still getting 80% plus viability on some 15 year old beans..

romanoweed

Im not shure bout lesParfait jars, there are two models, with Ripples and With just pressured Gum.
You can make a Test with water, fill water inside and turn it upsidedown, and well it went straight out (the Gum-Version)..
The ones with gum are made for Vacuming, so you cook These in Boiling water until it creates an underpressure therefore creates Vacuum, but would you do that with Seeds inside?
The one with the Ripples might be ok, but they often have too less Ripples to make me feel save. Do you have a longterm-Observation of it?

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I have many seeds I've kept in the fridge for years. They are in containers, stored within a small ice-chest which slows temp changes inside it. Even the 10yr old seeds pop with a 90%+ success rate. :)

Lately I've begun drying and freezing them. (Thanks for the tip on shattering/mashing to check moisture!) They go in a container which then goes into a thermos or other cooler, and finally into a freezer. Ideally I would like to design something with multiple drawers. The entire unit insulated, with insulated sections in each drawer. Each section would have insulated containers within, allowing removal/storage without large temp changes.

Bradley_Danks

bdanks.com
Veteran
Could someone plz critique the following methods of Cannabis seed storage I am thinking about using in the future.

Method 1: Smaller Amounts

Place seeds into plastic 5,15, and 50ml Eppendorf centrifuges with equal weights of moisture indicating desiccant silica beads separated from the seeds using a cotton ball.

Next place the seed filled centrifuges into light proof mylar bags to prevent light damage. Also, place a couple desiccant silica beads into the mylar bags in case any moisture gets inside.

Next, place the seed filled mylar bags into sealed mason jars to lessen atmospheric fluctuations as well as prevent rodents or bugs from damaging the seeds. Inside the jar will have a 2 gram moisture indicating desiccant pack to prevent any moisture damage.

Next, place the seed filled mason jars into a refrigerator set to between 35-40f with thermometers and a hygrometer present around the fridge to continuously monitor temperature and humidity fluctuations.

Do you think that is overkill with the desiccants? Anything else to consider?

Method 2: Larger Amounts

Place seeds directly into a mason jar with a moisture indicating desiccant pack to prevent any moisture damage. The desiccant pack should be equal or less in weight than the total weight of the seeds to prevent damaging the seeds from being too dry.

Use mason jar sleeve to prevent light damage.

Next, place the seed filled mason jars into a refrigerator set to between 35-40f with thermometers and a hygrometer present around the fridge to continuously monitor temperature and humidity fluctuations.

romanoweed

bradley

1: put the silica-gel Packs into ofen just on lowest possible Heat with open door for 20, 30 Minutes, just so they are desaturated before you pack. Cause if you decide to pack the seeds on a foggy Day, you might even bring Moisture into the Game.

2: did you mean to use Glue to seal Jars? Bathroom- Silicon have antibacterial Thing. Glue probably too? OFTEN NOT EVEN WRITTEN EVEN INCLUDED Otherwise it would be great, but that might endanger positive Live.

3: Mansion Jars Need much Riffles, (test em with Water if thy leak, or just do my adviced airpress-Test)

Bradley_Danks

bdanks.com
Veteran
Do you let the mason jar stabilize to room temperature before opening it each time? If so, about how many minutes do you wait? Have you ever had your mason jar form condensation from opening it before it was at room temp?

I wood

Do you let the mason jar stabilize to room temperature before opening it each time? If so, about how many minutes do you wait? Have you ever had your mason jar form condensation from opening it before it was at room temp?

Condensation? yes that was what lead to current protocol of waiting.
Five to ten minutes in the summer maybe, don't really measure time but feel the jar. When it feels the same as clean empty jar it is ready. Waiting is not necessary in the winter as seed fridge is in unheated part of building that stays cold and dry. In the winter i can spend hours looking through seeds without worry.
I like to keep a couple fresh clean jars with desiccant handy to dump seeds into after selections are made, maintenance ready to go.

Skinny Leaf

Veteran
I keep mine in a Tupperware container.

picture.php

Attachments

• DSCN3128.jpg
    DSCN3128.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 48