What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Phylos Bioscience sparks outrage after announcing their beginning their own breeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badfishy1

If you think nobody is or will be breeding lines with years behind them you're wrong.

Not everybody is in the clone business and some people are mostly into Landraces.

Nah think that came out wrong. Wasn’t a ‘nobody’ statement. But very FEW are.

troutman

Seed Whore
Breeding is about passion and don't let anyone convince you that you can't do it. :huggg:

BTW: How many of you know that only 1 female was selected and used
to create all Skunk #1 plants and from a preexisting Skunk variety?

So who created the original Skunks? :biggrin:

I remember reading about somebody saying it took about 10,000 males. :laughing:

The following quote comes from Rob Clarke himself and not something I made up.

Check section IX. Present status of the Cannabis genome in the link provided below.

A brief summary of the breeding of “Skunk No. 1” will illustrate what is involved in developing a relatively true-breeding seed cultivar. Several plants were grown from a local California “skunk” variety, which was likely a ¾ NLD and ¼ BLD hybrid (e.g., Colombian/Afghan × Mexican) and then all the females were crossed with a single select male. A female identified as skunk plant number one was selected as the highest yielding and most potent, and became the founder of all subsequent generations. For the following nine growing seasons, at least one branch of each of the (up to 100) female plants was fertilized by pollen from a male selected from the offspring of the previous year's best female plant. Seeds from the select females were sown the following spring. After only two or three generations, “Skunk No. 1” was relatively homogenous and true-breeding compared to other hybrid lines that continued to segregate in the F3 and F4 generations, and “Skunk No. 1” was then deemed ready for large-scale selection of parent plants with specific combining ability (SCA) for subsequent breeding.
Cannabis Domestication, Breeding History, Present-day Genetic Diversity, and Future Prospects

Thcvhunter

Veteran
I have no idea what taking mushrooms and communicating with plants has to do with. Is that what real breeding is?

I shouldn't have said no one. Some have. But It's not common. Dj short definitely did. Rez i guess did. Few here and there. There are very few actual seed lines out There. Mostly crosses. Not much filial inbreeding with GOALS in mind.

I'm just disappointed because i thought phylos was going to help us do what they plan to do. Not use us to do it themselves to sell out to big ag.

I guess you mever read the arrest report on Rez, you know, the snitch?
He was “breeding” in his closet.
So you discount everybody but say he’s a real breeder?

Thcvhunter

Veteran
Breeding is about passion and don't let anyone convince you that you can't do it. :huggg:

BTW: How many of you know that only 1 female was selected and used
to create all Skunk #1 plants and from a preexisting Skunk variety?

So who created the original Skunks? :biggrin:

I remember reading about somebody saying it took about 10,000 males. :laughing:

The following quote comes from Rob Clarke himself and not something I made up.

Check section IX. Present status of the Cannabis genome in the link provided below.

Cannabis Domestication, Breeding History, Present-day Genetic Diversity, and Future Prospects

Good find.

So, basically, he just Bx’ed the shit out of the clone he stole from the Cali operations he was with while the people who actually bred the line were doing time in prison.

No better way to sum up American Capitalism.

PDX Dopesmoker

I have no idea what taking mushrooms and communicating with plants has to do with. Is that what real breeding is?

I shouldn't have said no one. Some have. But It's not common. Dj short definitely did. Rez i guess did. Few here and there. There are very few actual seed lines out There. Mostly crosses. Not much filial inbreeding with GOALS in mind.

I'm just disappointed because i thought phylos was going to help us do what they plan to do. Not use us to do it themselves to sell out to big ag.

Yeah, jacking off on ur plants and thinking that you're communicating with them or some shit like that wasn't in the textbooks next to the punnet squares as far as I know, but I'm just a pollen chucker, real breeding is out of my league. Anyway if Phylos manages to breed up the ultimate killer pot plant seed I still want to see how it performs even if it is somehow evil. I like seeing weird shit, life is short and too boring. Oregon CBD seeds is doing crazy weird stuff and it seems like they're just now getting to the point of substantial public spectacle after years of work, so odds are it'll be a few years at least before Phylos manages to bring any amusement worth paying attention to, but hopefully they do something worth paying attention to other than creating internet drama.

CrushnYuba

I guess you mever read the arrest report on Rez, you know, the snitch?
He was “breeding” in his closet.
So you discount everybody but say he’s a real breeder?
I am not discounting anyone at all!! And im definitely not promoting rez. I said " i GUESS rez did". I don't know what rez actually did. But i did see him offering seeds that we're claimed to be second versions and f8s. I'm not saying in reality his plants were that nice. I'm just saying i wish other breeders had v2s and f8s.

Troutman: f2s are not a worked line and usually less stable then the f1s they came from.

I'm not calling anyone a hack or putting anyone down. I haven't called one breeder out by name. I'm Just saying there are very few worked lines to be had. Very few breeders have stuck to a single project with goals in mind. We have mostly been seed makers as not actual breeders.

What if a dog breeder crossed a shitzu to a poodle. Then took the shit-poo and crossed it to a German Shepard. So you have a shit-poo-shepard. Then he abandons the shitpooshepard to mix a bulldog and a poodle? That shitpooshepard aint a breed. Its just a mutt. Its not breeding, its mating. To make it a breed it Would have to be worked for generations.
Dog breeders have goals and traits in mind.

Same thing with ganja. We are mostly growing mutts and making new mutts. It would be nice To have some pure breds offered. I hope one of us does it instead of phylos.

frostqueen

Look at the seed producers we have now. I can't really think of any that do anything besides making f1 one offs. It's mostly taking a male and crossing it with every female in the catalogue. batches of seeds are usually only produced once. Sometimes a couple times.. but they usually never work on that line, try to improve it or stabilize it.. No one even keeps a strain in their catalogue.

wut :chin:

G

GatorGumbo

What if a dog breeder crossed a shitzu to a poodle. Then took the shit-poo and crossed it to a German Shepard. So you have a shit-poo-shepard. Then he abandons the shitpooshepard to mix a bulldog and a poodle? That shitpooshepard aint a breed. Its just a mutt. Its not breeding, its mating. To make it a breed it Would have to be worked for generations.
Dog breeders have goals and traits in mind.

Same thing with ganja. We are mostly growing mutts and making new mutts. It would be nice To have some pure breds offered. I hope one of us does it instead of phylos.

Well technically, a first generation shit-poo would not reproduce shit-poos in kind, their progeny would have possibly huge differences due to the way genetics are passed down. Ya hit the mark, just went a roundabout way with it.

What matters to me is a breeder's standards. Consistency is ok, but the quality is paramount. Too much consistency is actually kind of boring, I like pheno hunting a little. Different breeders have different approaches and desires as well. If the Shitzu was a 10/10 and the Poodle was a 10/10 then the desired "quality" will still be there in general. Will they be desireable to a shit-poo, though? Probably not. I'm ok with that, I like all dogs and all weed. Is it especially difficult to do or making a pioneering tangent in cannabis genetics? Not really.

Sooner or later we will have the ability to draw the right conclusions from the genes in lab cultures, to find those desireable traits by going through generations at comparative lightspeed. That's awesome in my opinion, but it's a long way off and probably won't really lead to anything the recreational user or home med grower will be able to find useful at all.

White Beard

Simple truth, I haven’t smoked enough different strains (while knowing for sure what strains they were) to really breed intelligently, but I believe *the plant* is intelligent, and I think the Mendel/Burbank model is going to be a more productive approach for me than to try translating genetic data into a breeding plan that makes sense in context.

To me, THAT’s breeding, and that is what I want to do: exploration, discovery, marking the territory (producing true-breeding cultivars with desired characteristics and without undesired ones). Like reading a book or listening to a storyteller, as opposed to the cliff-notes version.

White Beard

Yeah, jacking off on ur plants and thinking that you're communicating with them or some shit like that wasn't in the textbooks next to the punnet squares as far as I know, but I'm just a pollen chucker, real breeding is out of my league. Anyway if Phylos manages to breed up the ultimate killer pot plant seed I still want to see how it performs even if it is somehow evil. I like seeing weird shit, life is short and too boring. Oregon CBD seeds is doing crazy weird stuff and it seems like they're just now getting to the point of substantial public spectacle after years of work, so odds are it'll be a few years at least before Phylos manages to bring any amusement worth paying attention to, but hopefully they do something worth paying attention to other than creating internet drama.
But that’s part of the screw job: they’re going into the clone business, not the seed business...and the smart money is betting they’ll make plants grown from their clones unclonable if they possibly can

mr.brunch

Veteran
Surely if they make a clone unclonable, they wouldn’t be able to make clones to sell.... I think...

herbgreen

Veteran
Sour Diesel

OG Kush

GSC

Chemdog

Any science involved in these ?????

The Most Commercial and popular Cannabis strains EVER

maybe they plan on Phylosizing these mothers! haha

find some bag seed phylos

forget the alumna genius array.... and Fuckoff also!

maybe breeding is over rated.......Luck and whatever may be more important

Something tells me all the genomic info in the world wont buy this guy a brain

The best cannabis is the stuff you grow yourself and some hillbilly who has no idea what the shit you are talking about has got weed youll never touch

And growing on a hill in nepal and africa and everywhere get the f out a here!

Phylos Bioscience Presentation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=36&v=r7DHkfT8Oh0

This guy sounds like a turd burglar ! :biggrin:

I

izzypog

Sour Diesel

OG Kush

GSC

Chemdog

Any science involved in these ?????

The Most Commercial and popular Cannabis strains EVER

maybe they plan on Phylosizing these mothers! haha

find some bag seed phylos

forget the alumna genius array.... and Fuckoff also!

maybe breeding is over rated.......Luck and whatever may be more important

Something tells me all the genomic info in the world wont buy this guy a brain

The best cannabis is the stuff you grow yourself and some hillbilly who has no idea what the shit you are talking about has got weed youll never touch

And growing on a hill in nepal and africa and everywhere get the f out a here!

Phylos Bioscience Presentation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=36&v=r7DHkfT8Oh0

This guy sounds like a turd burglar ! :biggrin:

I remember a place called Megs county in Ohio, they grew the best stuff I ever smoked.

vermontman

If you think nobody is or will be breeding lines with years behind them you're wrong.

Not everybody is in the clone business and some people are mostly into Landraces.

HERE HERE!!!!!!
I resemble that remark! And a few others made on this thread, none of which I am ashamed to live with. HAHA:tiphat:

Dog Star

Veteran
Yep Vermontman will bring us Kalamata Red back and if you do i will be a first
in those line waiting to buy those seeds..

Dog Star

Veteran
Wish only best for your run with them and sucessfull repro..
we need those strain to have laughs and giggles,its a happy weed..

those type of line that definitly miss on market..

Status
Not open for further replies.