What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

White spots but undecided if it's PM or not

NoMore

Hi people, last grow I had PM, so this run I treated the plants with a systemical fungicide (vithal emerald125), 3 times untill the switch.
Now I'm seeing something that I've seen last grow too (first one in this location), white round spots at the ends of the leaves, but they don't look like PM, different pattern, different shading and it doesn't go away rubbing dry fingers on it, must be humid or wet.
it looks more like a dried salty drop, and in fact opening the tent right after dark i see drops on the fan leaves, is it dried up plant exudation ?
picture.php

picture.php

Last time also I wasn't sure this was PM, but then I had PM so don't really know, but this time I treated the plants.
Sorry for the broken english I should be sleeping right now :)

Last edited:

thailer

i think you need better ventilation. it looks like is a residue of whatever you sprayed. i would increase air flow and you won't see drops of water on the leaves when lights are off.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Hi people, last grow I had PM, so this run I treated the plants with a systemical fungicide (vithal emerald125), 3 times untill the switch.
Now I'm seeing something that I've seen last grow too (first one in this location), white round spots at the ends of the leaves, but they don't look like PM, different pattern, different shading and it doesn't go away rubbing dry fingers on it, must be humid or wet.
it looks more like a dried salty drop, and in fact opening the tent right after dark i see drops on the fan leaves, is it dried up plant exudation ?
View Image
View Image
Last time also I wasn't sure this was PM, but then I had PM so don't really know, but this time I treated the plants.
Sorry for the broken english I should be sleeping right now :)
It's mildew. The rings are a giveaway too.

If it's powdery, then just a few drops of dish cleaner and clean water from a clean (extremely important) sprayer is all this is needed, after

- pruning the lower leaves
- increasing ventilation
- extra silica, potassium

Spores are everywhere.

My setup outdoors in 2.5 gallon pots with a water reservoir:

mulch
calories
light soil
supersoil
drainage
spacer
water reservoir

The way I'm growing right now is with supersoil, a water reservoir, some calories on top (banana, oatmeal flakes) and a light much of hemp bedding. What this does is feed the bacteria and mycorrhizal fungi, which means that beneficial bacteria and fungi are everywhere throughout and on the plant.

As a result, the plant gets everything (spidermites so far, looking forward to the aphids, leafhoppers, leafminers and mildew).

However the plant just keeps growing and powers through everything.

What I am saying is that by growing monocultures (ease of harvesting) and in a way a pot with a single medium is a monoculture, we're creating all kinds opportunities for parasites and infections to run out of control.

NoMore

i think you need better ventilation. it looks like is a residue of whatever you sprayed. i would increase air flow and you won't see drops of water on the leaves when lights are off.

Yeah it really looks like residues, but it's 4 weeks that I don't spary anything...

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Yeah it really looks like residues, but it's 4 weeks that I don't spary anything...
Since you haven't sprayed anything recently, and the spots were not there 2 weeks ago (correct?), it's a good bet you're looking at fungi of some sort.

Using a 60x-100x scope will help with identification. I'm guessing you'll see a lot of single white hairs coming out of the leaves.

NoMore

Since you haven't sprayed anything recently, and the spots were not there 2 weeks ago (correct?), it's a good bet you're looking at fungi of some sort.

Using a 60x-100x scope will help with identification. I'm guessing you'll see a lot of single white hairs coming out of the leaves.

Im' gonna take a look as soon as the light turn on, i've spotted them first week after the switch when everything started to bush up.

looks like hard water spots.

Nute water maybe?
My water is pretty hard and i do have salt build up in the reservoir, but I use a dripping system and the solution never drips on the leaves, could it be exudation ?

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Is it possible that your plants can get splashed by anything?

It is entirely possible that PM has set in.
What are the results of looking through a scope (as DC suggested)?

NoMore

Is it possible that your plants can get splashed by anything?

It is entirely possible that PM has set in.
What are the results of looking through a scope (as DC suggested)?

100% sure no solution is splashing on them, the drippers are near to the sub and they drip, don't splash.
Yes I am considering that, aniway I took some photos tru the microscope, here's the results
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

it really seems like some crust to me , not hairy not mouldy looking
Thanks for the help :)

dork

I’ve seen spots like this before. It was from me brushing my teeth with a electric toothbrush in my grow room. I’m a vigorous brusher lol. I thought it was pm at first.

Mattbho

Doesnt look like pm to me. heres a pic of pm i had

Attachments

• 20190218_124510.jpg
    20190218_124510.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 20190303_192518.jpg
    20190303_192518.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 32

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
100% sure no solution is splashing on them, the drippers are near to the sub and they drip, don't splash.
Yes I am considering that, aniway I took some photos tru the microscope, here's the results
View Image

it really seems like some crust to me , not hairy not mouldy looking
Thanks for the help :)
Those small round objects look like the cleistothecium of mildew.

Gadoury-Cleistothecia250.jpg

The white crust are most likely a combination of the released ascospores and water/humidity.

Either way, tapwater and a couple of drops of dishcleaning detergent should wash them all off.

NoMore

Those small round objects look like the cleistothecium of mildew.

View Image

The white crust are most likely a combination of the released ascospores and water/humidity.

Either way, tapwater and a couple of drops of dishcleaning detergent should wash them all off.

Thanks man, didn't know at all about them, so if they are what you said it means that the plants are infected, or are going to be soon.
As I know (not that much), PM si systemic, washing them off would just prevent the spreading , right ?

I wood

Pm is not systemic, stop spreading bullshit.
Do a little research and you will see.

It is tenacious, omnipresent in most environments, and patient. That combination of traits can appear systemic but there is zero actualscience to show it is systemic. Broscience can be just as tenacious as pm it seems.

Good luck dealing with whatever you have going on.

NoMore

Pm is not systemic, stop spreading bullshit.
Do a little research and you will see.

It is tenacious, omnipresent in most environments, and patient. That combination of traits can appear systemic but there is zero actualscience to show it is systemic. Broscience can be just as tenacious as pm it seems.

Mine was not a statement, I wrote "as I know (not that much)", don't tink I'm claiming it is systemic.
Just a fast answer while at work (more a question than an answer)
Peace

I wood

Mine was not a statement, I wrote "as I know (not that much)", don't tink I'm claiming it is systemic.
Just a fast answer while at work (more a question than an answer)
Peace

Ok
That is very different than how I read the original statement.
I took it to mean that you thought you don’t know much but pm “is” systemic. A question mark would have been very helpful in conveying that it is a question. Sorry I got that wrong.

NoMore

Ok
That is very different than how I read the original statement.
I took it to mean that you thought you don’t know much but pm “is” systemic. A question mark would have been very helpful in conveying that it is a question. Sorry I got that wrong.

It's fine man, I could have wrote it better for sure, english is not my mother tongue, and your point is absolutely right
:)

CoCo_LoCo

How do you treat powdery mildew?

I wood

How do you treat powdery mildew?

In veg, potassium bicarbonate (earth juice ph up), 5ml &
Regalia (giant knotweed extract), 30ml per gallon.
The potassium bicarbonate kills the spores and what’s growing, the regalia stimulates the plants own resistance.
Potassium bicarbonate withers pistils and regalia smells strongly chemical so neither are sprayed past first week of flowering.

Once in flower potassium silicate( agsil16), hydrogen peroxide (about 1 1/2%), or plant therapy( peppermint based) as needed.
With h2o2 being the only thing for the last few weeks.
At harvest entire plant is sprayed with h2o2 before hanging to dry.

These things used as needed, for me that means spray something at least once every ten days, have pm controlled in all but the most mold prone varieties.
I did just purchase an ultraviolet light and am hopeful to be able to stop spraying flowering plants at all in the near future.

Last edited: