Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Propagation > How Les is Currently Germinating Old Seeds

Thread Title Search
How Les is Currently Germinating Old Seeds Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-29-2019, 05:21 AM #11
Shmavis
Being-in-the-world

Shmavis has much to be proud ofShmavis has much to be proud ofShmavis has much to be proud ofShmavis has much to be proud ofShmavis has much to be proud ofShmavis has much to be proud ofShmavis has much to be proud ofShmavis has much to be proud ofShmavis has much to be proud ofShmavis has much to be proud ofShmavis has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by thailer View Post
just don't use facebook to sign up or link your account. it will show people certain things on facebook. one friend didn't realize and got quite the scare. i keep mine separate.
No worries. This is the extent of my “social media” memberships. I was able to google the name and see pictures without joining. Pretty slick looking. Looks built to last. I have a friend with an account inquiring about current pricing and availability. Seems a reasonable price for something that should last me the rest of my seed popping years. Especially considering I wouldn't use it for fresh seeds. Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunkypigs View Post
I made one of those seed crackers with an inch slice off a 2x4 then drill two holes like you made for a pipe in junior high. Screw a #10-32 screw down the small hole and put seed under screw in the big hole, apply pressure.

Dude on IG is building something strong enough to crack a black walnut, balsa wood is strong enough to crack weed seeds lol.

Make one for free in 90 seconds.

Check out how giant pumpkin growers start seeds. https://www.bigpumpkins.com/ViewArticle.asp?id=66

Gotta remove the s in the https for that link to work, yet another reason nobody uses ICmag anymore...
Now that I have seen the cracker, I have a better idea of what you are saying - in junior high we just grabbed a toilet paper tube or empty can, lol - and like the idea. But was wondering about sterility. I suppose you could put a removable insert of stainless steel in there to crack upon, or some such surface that's cleanable.

Just not sure about cracking precious seeds on treated wood. But I guess if the seed itself is cleaned/sterilized after, it shouldn’t be an issue.

Whether I buy one or make one, I like the idea.
§467. I am sitting with a philosopher in the garden; he says again and again “I know that that’s a tree”, pointing to a tree that is near us. Someone else arrives and hears this, and I tell him: “This fellow isn’t insane. We are only doing philosophy.”

― Ludwig Wittgenstein, On Certainty
Shmavis is online now Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-30-2019, 12:25 PM #12
Lester Beans
Frequent Flyer

Lester Beans is a survivorLester Beans is a survivorLester Beans is a survivorLester Beans is a survivorLester Beans is a survivorLester Beans is a survivorLester Beans is a survivorLester Beans is a survivorLester Beans is a survivorLester Beans is a survivorLester Beans is a survivor
I am going to prepare some really old seed today and see if we can't get them to go.

From 1996 skunk, blueberry.

Some old Affie, Zamal, and some ancestral skunks

My wife had a pill bottle of seeds from when we were just out of high school. Most likely seed from my herb back then. Have had zero success so far.

Ah man, just realized I am completely out of castings. May have to use compost. Castings place is quite drive. Insert cursing here.

Sprouting seed in compost experimient anyone? Haha!

Last edited by Lester Beans; 03-30-2019 at 12:29 PM.. Reason: All jacked up on morning coffee and such
Lester Beans is offline Quote

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-14-2019, 01:29 AM #13
Crazy Chester

Crazy Chester is a jewel in the roughCrazy Chester is a jewel in the roughCrazy Chester is a jewel in the roughCrazy Chester is a jewel in the roughCrazy Chester is a jewel in the roughCrazy Chester is a jewel in the roughCrazy Chester is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester Beans View Post
I am going to prepare some really old seed today and see if we can't get them to go.

From 1996 skunk, blueberry.

Some old Affie, Zamal, and some ancestral skunks

My wife had a pill bottle of seeds from when we were just out of high school. Most likely seed from my herb back then. Have had zero success so far.

Ah man, just realized I am completely out of castings. May have to use compost. Castings place is quite drive. Insert cursing here.

Sprouting seed in compost experimient anyone? Haha!

I'd like to see a casting old seeds in compost experiment, Lester!
Crazy Chester is offline Quote

Old 04-14-2019, 02:12 AM #14
AgentPothead
Just this guy, ya know?

AgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond repute
Was it maybe Mystic funk's vintage seed germination thread? With the info about the worm compost I mean.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.ph...88&postcount=4
And honestly. My fuck ups turn to gold so much the thought of fuckin up don't even bother me. So I keep it auto when I'm stepping through a portal. I know that sounds strange but, strange beats normal.
AgentPothead is offline Quote

Old 04-14-2019, 04:16 AM #15
Zeez

Zeez is a survivorZeez is a survivorZeez is a survivorZeez is a survivorZeez is a survivorZeez is a survivorZeez is a survivorZeez is a survivorZeez is a survivorZeez is a survivorZeez is a survivor
If the seed shells appear to be stuck on the cotyledons, at what point is it time to physically remove it. Is there a best surgical technique for removing it, like maybe cut the shell where it clamshells together? I know for a fact that just grabbing it with hemostats is a bad idea. Real delicate.
Zeez is online now Quote

Old 04-20-2019, 06:20 PM #16
Crazy Chester

Crazy Chester is a jewel in the roughCrazy Chester is a jewel in the roughCrazy Chester is a jewel in the roughCrazy Chester is a jewel in the roughCrazy Chester is a jewel in the roughCrazy Chester is a jewel in the roughCrazy Chester is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeez View Post
If the seed shells appear to be stuck on the cotyledons, at what point is it time to physically remove it. Is there a best surgical technique for removing it, like maybe cut the shell where it clamshells together? I know for a fact that just grabbing it with hemostats is a bad idea. Real delicate.

It IS real delicate, but, the clamshell is not attached to the actual cotyledons, it is attached to a thin membrane on the cotyledons - the trick is to loosen that membrane and then the clamshell will pull off of the cotyledons. It all depends how firmly the membrane is still attached to the cotyledons - sometimes the clamshell comes off and sometimes you just end up ripping the top of the seedling off and it's over...

Last edited by Crazy Chester; 04-21-2019 at 07:04 PM..

Old 04-20-2019, 06:23 PM #17
big315smooth

big315smooth has a brilliant futurebig315smooth has a brilliant futurebig315smooth has a brilliant futurebig315smooth has a brilliant futurebig315smooth has a brilliant futurebig315smooth has a brilliant futurebig315smooth has a brilliant futurebig315smooth has a brilliant futurebig315smooth has a brilliant futurebig315smooth has a brilliant futurebig315smooth has a brilliant future
great thread i got some old seed stash last time tried them didnt have a good germ rate
big315smooth is offline Quote

Old 04-20-2019, 06:52 PM #18
Zeez

Zeez is a survivorZeez is a survivorZeez is a survivorZeez is a survivorZeez is a survivorZeez is a survivorZeez is a survivorZeez is a survivorZeez is a survivorZeez is a survivorZeez is a survivor
The times I tried to remove them, they were hard. Old seed.
I ended up with a stump a couple times on seeds that were important. The cotyledons came right off.
Zeez is online now Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-21-2019, 07:07 PM #19
Crazy Chester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeez View Post
The times I tried to remove them, they were hard. Old seed.
I ended up with a stump a couple times on seeds that were important. The cotyledons came right off.

I'm sorry for you Zeez - if only there were a way to soften the membrane's grip on the cotyledons. Perhaps manually slathering on some coconut oil (maybe with a q-tip) and letting it sit for a few minutes would help?

Old 04-22-2019, 07:50 AM #20
Betterhaff

Betterhaff has a reputation beyond reputeBetterhaff has a reputation beyond reputeBetterhaff has a reputation beyond reputeBetterhaff has a reputation beyond reputeBetterhaff has a reputation beyond reputeBetterhaff has a reputation beyond reputeBetterhaff has a reputation beyond reputeBetterhaff has a reputation beyond reputeBetterhaff has a reputation beyond reputeBetterhaff has a reputation beyond reputeBetterhaff has a reputation beyond repute
If the seeds have germinated and are still holding on to their seed coats, gentle misting can help with the removal process. I mist, wait a few minutes and use a toothpick to try and nudge things off. May take a few mistings and nudging with a few breaks in between. It can be a slow and delicate process but you need to get the membrane off.
Betterhaff is offline Quote

7 members found this post helpful.