Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Propagation > 30-40 year old seed ressurection

Thread Title Search
30-40 year old seed ressurection Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-17-2019, 10:16 PM #1
JudahsSceptre

JudahsSceptre will become famous soon enoughJudahsSceptre will become famous soon enoughJudahsSceptre will become famous soon enough
30-40 year old seed ressurection

So I was fortunate to have a close friend of my mom who recently passed on at age 94 who has been growing in southern Humboldt/ Mendocino county since the mid 70's pass some oldies on to me a while back, some of the varieties include maziar I Sharif, and afghan from the Khyber pass, as well as a bunch of unknowns, a columbian, and an afghan Cambodian cross, all seeds range from 1979 to 87.

I have germinated a few somewhat wastefully just out of curiosity in the past to see if any would germinate, and yeah I have had success germinating but ultimately with nowhere to cultivate at that time it was just a test to see if some magic would happen.

Surprisingly enough some germinated.. more recently I took a go at the afghan Cambodian and about 5 of 20 sprouted tails, but got stunted and the tails didnt continue to grow, was curious what would be a good way to go about bringing these babies to life. As obviously they are alive, and need a little more than a paper towel germination.

Any advice would be appreciated as this would be radical to unlock some oldie landrace cannabis genetics that could be a solid gold smoke for anyone into the classic nostalgia that would come from these old gals.
JudahsSceptre is offline Quote

6 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-18-2019, 03:53 AM #2
@420breeder

@420breeder is on a distinguished road
Hey! You have a really huge treasure in your hands, take care of them and you will be very happy.

My little experience with old seeds makes me warn you about few things. Keep them on the fridge, unless you want to germinate them.
Make the germination with a spoon of H2O2 in 200ml of water for minimize bad companies, you know what i mean... And of course a temperature between 20-24 ºC will be great.

They may could germinate but make them root...will be hard to do. Be patience, make warn and keep it wet...

Let us know please!
@420breeder is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:11 AM #3
aridbud
automeister

aridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivor
We scuff them w/ sand paper and use food grade hydrogen perioxide 1 ml to 5 TBS water (filtered).

https://www.zamnesia.com/cannabis-gr...cannabis-seeds
John Harrigan
Instant gratification takes too long.
Carrie Fisher - RIP.
afterthought autos
We are passionate breeders growing organically in the USA and offer 27 autoflowering strains, 9 photoperiods in our decades of breeding expertise. afterthought autos - we are unique quality cannabis autoflower breeders for medical conditions and recreational stimulus. Auto breeding 13 years, and running strong!

https://www.icmag.com/ic/forumdisplay.php?f=65770
aridbud is offline Quote

Old 02-18-2019, 07:30 AM #4
JudahsSceptre

JudahsSceptre will become famous soon enoughJudahsSceptre will become famous soon enoughJudahsSceptre will become famous soon enough
Hey, thank you guys very much for the advice, I will try that stuff out and see what I can make happen this spring hopefully some of the hundreds of seeds will come to life.
JudahsSceptre is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:34 PM #5
pumpkinpie eyes

pumpkinpie eyes is a glorious beacon of lightpumpkinpie eyes is a glorious beacon of lightpumpkinpie eyes is a glorious beacon of lightpumpkinpie eyes is a glorious beacon of lightpumpkinpie eyes is a glorious beacon of lightpumpkinpie eyes is a glorious beacon of lightpumpkinpie eyes is a glorious beacon of lightpumpkinpie eyes is a glorious beacon of lightpumpkinpie eyes is a glorious beacon of lightpumpkinpie eyes is a glorious beacon of lightpumpkinpie eyes is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudahsSceptre View Post
Hey, thank you guys very much for the advice, I will try that stuff out and see what I can make happen this spring hopefully some of the hundreds of seeds will come to life.
hope so, bud
pumpkinpie eyes is offline Quote

Old 02-19-2019, 04:34 AM #6
Lean Green
Operating Outside the Law

Lean Green has much to be proud ofLean Green has much to be proud ofLean Green has much to be proud ofLean Green has much to be proud ofLean Green has much to be proud ofLean Green has much to be proud ofLean Green has much to be proud ofLean Green has much to be proud ofLean Green has much to be proud ofLean Green has much to be proud ofLean Green has much to be proud of
Have you checked this thread out?

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread....hlight=vintage

Lean Green is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:41 AM #7
JustSumTomatoes
Senior Insomniac

JustSumTomatoes has a brilliant futureJustSumTomatoes has a brilliant futureJustSumTomatoes has a brilliant futureJustSumTomatoes has a brilliant futureJustSumTomatoes has a brilliant futureJustSumTomatoes has a brilliant futureJustSumTomatoes has a brilliant futureJustSumTomatoes has a brilliant futureJustSumTomatoes has a brilliant futureJustSumTomatoes has a brilliant futureJustSumTomatoes has a brilliant future
Wow that's just plain awesome! You should totally keep this thread updated on their progress. Those heirloom genetics are truly a gem.
JustSumTomatoes is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-21-2019, 12:26 PM #8
Ktaadn

Ktaadn has a spectacular aura aboutKtaadn has a spectacular aura aboutKtaadn has a spectacular aura aboutKtaadn has a spectacular aura about
One trick that has worked very well for me with older or hard to germ seeds is to "nip the tip" of the seed. Using a small pair of nail clippers you ever so carefully clip off the very tip of the pointy end of the seed shell. It's important not to damage the embryo inside, you just want to make it easier for the seedling to emerge without using up all of it's valuable energy resources.

The worm bin is also a good one to try. Many times I've had seeds that I'd given up on sprout after being discarded in the active worm bins.

Best of luck to you, those are some very interesting heirloom genetics you hold. That Afghani/Cambodian has me especially curious!
Ktaadn is offline Quote

Old 02-22-2019, 05:14 PM #9
Speula

Speula is just really niceSpeula is just really niceSpeula is just really niceSpeula is just really niceSpeula is just really niceSpeula is just really niceSpeula is just really niceSpeula is just really niceSpeula is just really nice
Gibberellic Acid works also pretty well. Hope you find some nice lost genetics in your hunt!

"Gott schuf die Zeit, von Eile hat er nichts gesagt.."
Speula is offline Quote

Old 02-22-2019, 07:58 PM #10
AgentPothead
Just this guy, ya know?

AgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lean Green View Post
Thank you for that link, I remembered reading that but couldn't find it again and am currently having the same problem as OP, just not as old seeds.
And honestly. My fuck ups turn to gold so much the thought of fuckin up don't even bother me. So I keep it auto when I'm stepping through a portal. I know that sounds strange but, strange beats normal.
AgentPothead is online now Quote

1 members found this post helpful.